Bears and Cubs

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_JohnUpHerPipe, Mar 4, 2012.

1. D_JohnUpHerPipe

D_JohnUpHerPipe New Member

So I have recently come across the term 'bear' and after researching, found out about 'cubs' too.

From personal experience looking on dating/meet websites a bear is generally just a fat old hairy guy, and a cub just a fat young hairy guy.

What is the deal with this? Is it just a polite term for fat old/young hairy guy? Are people into that? And are there attractive bears/cubs?

(Of course the definition of attractive varies, perhaps it would be better to say, are there muscular hairy men that are classed as bears, or is it jsut the fat?)

You will have to forgive me my naivity, my sexual experience so far has mainly been through cam2cam (i.e. very little) and I have only just embraced the whole meet people sites.

Thanks Guys

2. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

There are muscular guys that are classified as bears.

Guess I'll expand my answer a bit. Bears and cubs are generally just hairy. Bears are big guys - be it 'fat' or muscular. Cubs are smaller. Sometimes younger, but generally just smaller.

In my own head, I also tend to view bears as being more dominate and cubs being more submissive but I'm not sure if that's true or not. That's just sort of my experience based on the gay men I know that are part of the bear/cub culture.

#2 IntoxicatingToxin, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  3. D_JohnUpHerPipe

Thanks, are they muscular as in go to the gym, or are they over pumped? Any pictures for example?

4. luka82

Gold Member

A bear is a hairy guy.

5. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

6. uncuttop213

uncuttop213 New Member

Albums:
    I identify as a muscle bear (as of probably the last year or so-- not as of when all my pics were taken). I don't think of myself as fat but I'm sure not lean either.

There are most certainly a lot of attractive bears, but personally I think nearly all of them would fall into the muscle bear category. You're quite right though that if you just say "bear" often that is a code word for older, fatter and hairier. Cub is even more surely going to mean fatter, but also younger.

7. luka82

Gold Member

Hm....please, please, don`t get me wrong but I have always thought that bears need to be a bit hairer than you.
    Body hair all over! You sure are musle, though. :wink:

8. CASizeQueen

CASizeQueen Member

Albums:
    We husky hairy guys get lots of attention...not just people being polite...I LOVE what is referred to as "Chasers"...guys who like a bit of meat on the bone! There's someone for everyone ;>

9. D_JohnUpHerPipe

Thank you, that was a brilliant link!

I guess a bear or cub can be either fat or muscled, the hair is the main component. It isn't for me, but as CASizeQueen says, there is someone for everyone!

Thanks guys, this has been rather helpful.

#9 D_JohnUpHerPipe, Mar 4, 2012
  10. Catharsis

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yes, being hairy is the big component of being a bear or a cub. You won't hear of any smooth guy being called either title - they're either a twink if they're young, or...something else if they're older. (Edit: If they're big, I guess they could be a bear? I think older guys should be hairy anyway, though, if they can.)

Speaking for myself, I've identified as a cub. I'm not the hairiest guy out there, but I'm pretty hairy and, judging from where I have hair at the moment, I know I'm going to get much hairier when I get older. Such is life.

#10 Catharsis, Mar 4, 2012
  11. D_Budd_Hert

D_Budd_Hert New Member

Bears don't have to hairy at all ...Bear is a title just like a Male Dom or Dominant or Master ....I've seen plenty online and IRL that are fit hairless men ...Its more the attitude they put out . Bears just like dominants want to be in control. Cubs are usually younger and can be smooth shaven ......Cubs are more submissive ( subs ) and want to please the Bear ....just like BDSM ....cubs want a Bear to control or be owned to please his Master errrr Bear . so in a nutshell ...Its Ur mindset and personality that can make your either a bear or a Cub .

12. Catharsis

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I would have called that a daddy/boy or even simply a dom/sub complex. Are there that many terms to describe the same thing? :S

13. ConanTheBarber

Gold Member

This is the second definition in the Urban Dictionary:
    The most common definition of a "bear" is a man who is hairy, has facial hair, and a cuddly body. However, the word "Bear" means many things to different people, even within the bear movement. Many men who do not have one or all of these characteristics define themselves as bears, making the term a very loose one. Suffice it to say, "bear" is often defined as more of an attitude than anything else - a sense of comfort with our natural masculinity and bodies that is not slavish to the vogues of male attractiveness that is so common in gay circles and the culture at large.
    As the definition notes, the term is a loose one. That said, I think most people would agree that hairyness and NOT being an evident gym bunny are the first characteristics that most people would think of.
    But the definition is loose.

14. Catharsis

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Hm, yeah I suppose "masculine" would be a better word to describe a bear. Some people (myself included) may correlate masculinity to hairiness, anyway, but that's in only one dimension.

15. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    There are a number of attractive/hot bears on here...OCMuscleJock and Contour being just two. :p

16. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

Just to throw a spanner into the works there are also men classed as "Otters".

17. ConanTheBarber

Gold Member

... and they're skinny, hairy gay men.

18. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

yep. :wink:

19. MickeyLee

Gold Member

bears, cubs, otters.. yes, please. i'll take a dozen :biggrin:

Bear isn't just hairy/chubby... Bears are solid. masculine. fuzzy. is not just a matter of size.. *for me* Bears are all over big, muscle and body fat. ya simply can't call yaself a bear at 10% body fat. n-no, bad gym rat!
    Cubs are younger/not so fuzzy/more submissive/thinner... or sometimes a Bear's partner will be called his cub.
    Otter... lean, not thin. fuzzy. think swimmers build, with a lil extra meat.. and delish, need to bury ya face it in fuzz.
    Wolves.. same as otters, usually a bit older so they have the wonderful silver grey pelt.
    *happy place*

the best Bears, Cubs, Otters come with healthy portion of leather.

true fact of ML Land. if you see a big fuzzy dude in a chest harness follow him. when you get there you'll have an awesome time. and there will be snacks.

i is a Mogli.. genderqueer bottom with a taste for Bears :biggrin:

20. Hand_Solo

Gold Member

*adds twenty more components to the MickeyLee flowchart*

Draft saved Draft deleted