Bears - definition changed?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Rikter8, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Now..this isn't meant to be a negative judgemental thread of a group of people...but it seems like the social group of bears has changed.

My Definition of a Bear is someone that's relatively muscular, or even chunky a bit, hairy, generally down to earth, sometimes rugged and outdoorsy, and sometimes the daddy type. (And also someone who I would be most likely to hang out with as I fit into the "Chunky" category)

Lately I think this has slipped into a category of acceptance for highly obese gay men. Now, even though these folks are generally super duper nice and caring individuals, but holy crap it's almost like they don't care anymore about their own health and it's now a social "Eat until we die" club.

Years ago, I visited a leather bar in Detroit that was known to welcome lots of gay guys that identified themselves as bears within the community. As usual, lots of friendly people, welcoming, and folks of every shape and size, but nobody really HUGE (I'm talking 400+ lbs).

I recently visited with a group of folks that identified themselves as bears, and I was saddened by what I saw. Young ones with guts so huge it was hanging to their knees. Older ones who had trouble walking around and sociallizing because they were just too big.
    I totally understand that some folks have health issues, and they can't help it, but these folks are smokin cigarettes, and eating 6 full dressed brats, potato chips and beer.

I'm sure I have only seen a very small sample of the bear community, but thought I would ask the rest of the world... Have you seen a change?

2. chnkymnky

chnkymnky New Member

Albums:
    I've been involved with the bear community for about 10 years, and it's always been about big (chunky/fat) guys, at least in NYC.

It's a good thing.

3. shinato

shinato New Member

Albums:
    i think rikter is thinking more about muscle bears

4. shinato

shinato New Member

Albums:
    i think i'm gonna be an otter someday. the way this chest hair keeps coming in. lol

5. SCSea

SCSea Member

Bear merged with Chub/Planetary/Mirth-and-Girth at some point. It's amazing how hairless you can be and still self-identify as bear. This has resulted in a lot of backlash towards bear-aligned media companies for promoting a beefier/muscle/"hot" bear archetype.

6. OCMuscleJock

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yah there are soooooooo many categories of bears. It's hard to keep track anymore.

7. swellguy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Interesting post. My partner and I identify as bears and are members of the local bear club. Neither of us are paticulary big but find bears as a very warm, friendly bunch of guys. I partly agree with your post about bears and very large men but I think bear culture is (supposed to be ?) more about the home down, guy next door, don't shave your chest cuz chest hair is natural if it grows there, let's be "guys" and not be twinks and let's not totally be hung up on body size.... with all of that you (or I as a bear) have lots of large men who identify as a bear. Yes, we should all take care of our bodies/our lives, but for what ever reason it just does not work that way for everyone. and yes, I have seen a change over the last 10 years of the makeup (physically) of men in bear groups.

Oh, and OCMuscleJock..... WOOF!

#7 swellguy, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  8. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    No, not just Muscle bears. (Yea, they are hot) but I don't have a problem with average or chubby guys like me either. It should be about the person.

But...boy it would sure limit the relationship to be that ....huge.

9. systemshock3

systemshock3 Member

Albums:
    I agree. Between friends/social outlets and now my Rugby team, I'm being exposed to a wide range of guys that would be classified as 'bear', not just chubs. The good news is that I'm finding myself attracted to a good number of them :smile:. Of course, Musclebears are near the top of the list anyway, so its not a big leap to get it on with others. My recent trip to Montreal was filled with all sorts of bear-ish adventures..

10. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    As long as I've used the term (over ten years now), it's always been about big hairy guys: the gut's always been kinda mandatory, along with an age (cubs are young-ish bears) and a masculine attitude. They are the anti-twink, always have been, always will be.

The term "musclebear" came late to my circle, but maybe I'm a laggard :tongue:

11. hung9mike

hung9mike Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Honestly, I think it's the other way around. I've always thought of bears as being heavy-set and (usually) hairy. (Although, honestly, I don't think hairiness is a requirement... Being a bear is more about having a certain body type.) I see the group that has traditionally been known as bears to have adopted the rugged, muscular, hairy guys as being bears as well... Although they seem to call themselves muscle bears to distinguish themselves from traditional bears.

Draft saved Draft deleted