Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have never been beaten up at all...for my gayness or any other reason. I've never witnessed a gay man being beaten for his sexual orientation, really never seen anyone get beaten. I do feel accepted in 'straight communities' but people tend to assume I'm straight

Thikn2velvet1

Admired Member
Media
I don't beat up gays and I do not tolerate the use of the word fag, homo, or other words of that used as colloquial criticisms even " innocently." Lots of perfectly good other words rather than words that demean a group of people.

WrenchOfLife

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Even growing up in the south, I've never heard someone (stranger or otherwise) express hatred towards someone simply for being gay. Distasteful jokes, sure, but those can be quickly frowned upon so the person knows they're in the wrong. The closest I've ever come to experiencing anything like that is my grandfather rolling his eyes at flamboyant dudes on the TV.

sizehungry

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Saw the result of a gay bashing some years ago . Four of these cowards lured their victim to a park at night , and bashed him terribly . The guy was lucky to survive . The perpetrators were pretty stupid though , they referred to each by name . Not sure if i can tell what happened to them on this site . Let's just say that a very effective lesson was administered , and leave it at that .

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
A distant relative in Europe (I'm not even sure he is a relative, TBH, but some people say he is) posted a selfie of his bloodied face, results of a clash between gay rights-liberal-progressive protesters and right wingers. That probably counts as gay bashing.

umdoistressilvaquatro

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If gay people where welcome, there would be no such thing as "coming out". There is a closet because discrimination exist and we know it exists. Why so many gay people are in doubt over the existence of homophobia, that should be absolutely familiar to us, since it deform our lifes completely? There is not a place in the world where the life of a gay person is not qualitatively different from the life of a straight person. It's not a case of a few "bad apples", straight people in general are truly supremacists to their sexual orientation.

Reactions: Oxnard

I do not think about the sex lives of other people. I am pretty busy with my own bullshit. I shoot guns with a gay man. He competed in 3gun and we enjoy training together, but we never discuss sex. It is just not part of the sport. He has talked to me about problems at home before and I listened as a friend would.

At.your.cervix

Superior Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I get the idea that gay men are stepping away from what was once seen as deviant behavior (for the most part in Western countries). But do you still find that gay men are not welcome within straight communities? I live in a bigger city, so I don't see much in terms of gay hate. However, have you witnessed any? Have you ever beat up a gay man? I remember a couple years ago hearing about a couple getting beaten by like 12 people.

I haven't ever seen it myself, but I know on occasion gay men still do get beaten up by "straight" men. That said, I feel it's becoming far less common than it once was. But there are always going to be the infrequent assholes wherever you go. Ugh, I hate to quote Taylor Swift, but "haters gonna hate;" and sometimes it's against gays, other times Jews, blacks, my second cousin was beaten up by the KKK because he was Catholic. When that sort of shit happens, it's pretty fucked up and reminds all of us that we still need to grow as a culture. Thank God, Philadelphia is pretty accepting of diversity (we even have a section of the city officially designated as "the gayborhood"), as are most large cities these days.

umdoistressilvaquatro

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Because my guess is that most men who feel the need to beat up someone who is gay are doing it because of an inner conflict with their own sexual orientation. So I put "straight" in quotations. Not exactly a novel assumption.
But is there really any reason to think that at all?
I mean, look at homophobia from a historical point of view. There was a time when almost every person would agree that gay/bi people should be put to death, almost every medieval theologian concluded that sodomy was the worst sin, per example. Can we say that the majority of the medieval world were self-hating gays? In recent decades, we see gay people getting increasingly accepted. Can we say that this happened because the number of self-hating gays reduced?
Or then, try to compare between countries. Does the difference between the % of homophobic iranians and the % of homophobic americans is due to the difference between the amount of self-hating gay guys?
So is it really reasonable to think that the bulk of homophobia is self-hating gays? Or is it more reasonable to attribute societal causes to homophobia? Comparing with other forms of discrimination could give us better insights. The same way racism is based on supremacists fantasies of white people, I believe homophobia is based on supremacists fantasies of straight people.

Exbiker

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
There is not a place in the world where the life of a gay person is not qualitatively different from the life of a straight person.

I think these days we could make the case that in most of the United Kingdom, it's almost a non issue, now.

Our equality is legally protected. We can marry. Hate speech is controlled.

I am treated quite well in my little corner of Berkshire.

Any remaining issues for most gay people as they grow up will start to fade out altogether within a generation, here.

Clearly there are still some religious communities and others who do have a problem. But the fact that they are mentally and socially defective is becoming more and more obvious, and less and less tolerated and enabled...

But yes. I know we are almost unique.

It saddens me. And I agree with your other post - it IS because of prejudice from certain power structures in society, NOT from anything to do with self hate. It's sheer tribalism. And it's stupid and wrong and everyone should be disgusted by it.

tncentaur

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Every time I drive up from Denver to western South Dakota through Wyoming, I think about Matthew Shepard. The owners of the land where he was crucified on a fence have made the site difficult to find so they won't be embarrassed by people stopping to visit the place, although they do anyway. Then I think about that asshole Pope Benedict who said, while he couldn't condone anti-gay violence, he could understand it.

Queer bashing doesn't often make the news very often, but there are instances of it.

It's not the result of 'homophobia' (fear of homosexuals), it's hatred of homosexuals, and like racism, while it's not PC to be openly racist there's still a deep river of LGBT hatred with strong currents that quietly and with toleration (except where they are openly passing religious-freedom laws) that runs through the US.

There has been one instance locally of physical and emotional bullying of a lesbian couple that resulted in 'unidentified gay men' subsequently identifying and beating up the bullies --Please, ye gods, do not let us become our oppressors!

I guess what I'm saying is that the troubles are not over until they no longer occur and until religion and its right wing adherents are no longer the 'ethical' source and the agents fomenting it. Another serving of 'family values', anyone? There's righteousness for dessert, too! Nom Nom Nom!

Say it ain't so!
thewestottawan.com: Ted Cruz endorses anti-gay pastor
https://badgop.com/2015/10/14/ted-c...omoting-anti-gay-pastor-and-slavery-defender/
www.talk2action.org: | Video: Ted Cruz Anointed By Pro-Religious War, Antigay Pastors
radaronline.com: Leaked Footage: Ted Cruz Supports 'Death Penalty For Homosexuals'?!

Reactions: determinedtogrow