Beatles Remastered: Anyone have these?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by SilverTrain, Sep 16, 2009.

1. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Over time I've lost most of my original-release Beatles CD's, and after hearing a radio show about these new remastered editions, I'm very tempted to buy.

Anyone have any of them? And if so, thoughts?

2. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

I have them, I didnt have all of their albums so I thought this was a good opportunity to get everything. I personally don't hear that much difference, it's sort of noticeable when played through headphones but if you were buying solely to hear a great difference in sound you may feel a bit let down.

3. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Nah - but when are we gonna be able to get Beatles stuff on itunes? grrrr.

4. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

we will get beatles on iTune when Apple Corp get's over their hissy fit about Apple computer having the same name.

I just ripped the whole newly mastered CD collection into my iTunes, and they are really pretty good. These sound about as good as CDs are capable of sounding.
    The older recordings, in particular, they did a great job with.

This is essentially an identical CD version of another collection I have, 25 years old now, of all the original UK released Beatles Albums re-mixed from original recordings, and half speed mastered in virgin vinyl.
    I can tell you the CD version just released is not even remotely close to sounding as fantastic as those vinyls...
    But for CDs, they sound pretty fucking good, far better than previously released CD versions of Beatles recordings.

5. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I spent most of an evening several days ago listening to several sides of the new Beatles CD releases.
    I think they are a remarkable improvement over the previous CDs. They almost sound as though a genius-level cover band had redone all the songs from scratch, benefiting from all the advances in CD technology over the past 20 or so years.
    All kinds of things that couldn't be heard before are now clearly audible.
    There are textures where before there was mud.
    The voices sound much better.
    The sense of soundstage is enhanced.
    I think the improvement is great enough to justify purchase even if you have most of the repertoire ... in earlier digital form ... in your current CD collection.
    I did not expect to be so impressed.
    Miracles can happen.

#5 D_Gunther Snotpole, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  6. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    We've still got Abbey Road on vinyl, lol. Need to get some Beatles cds, 'cos I haven't got any of me own. Been after 'Here Comes The Sun' for ages.

7. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    Are they releasing the re-mastered stuff on vinyl too?

8. B_Artful Dodger

B_Artful Dodger New Member

Nope... but I fully love that Vera Lynn has beaten them all to number 1 on the UK album chart :biggrin: LOL

9. D_Gunther Snotpole

Vera was perfect.

10. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

I just listened to Let It Be on headphones and I heard this amazing cymbal backing track for the first time - I had a mini glee moment! There is a difference in sound and the special treats of hearing new things on certain tracks makes it quite enjoyable to hear some classic songs in a new way.

11. D_Gunther Snotpole

But believe me, flame boi ... you don't need headphones.
    I was sitting on a friend's balcony and the improvement over the original CDs could be quite clearly heard through a sliding door.
    (He has, I should note, a pretty fine sound system.)

The sound is altogether more refined, more detailed and realistic.

12. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

you should hear the vinyls...
    they make these CDs sound like a can and string.
    CDs have no headroom. No dynamic range.

In the vinyls, you can hear when they shift their feet on the soundstage floor. You can hear if they turn their heads in relation to the mike.

13. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    She did! Think it's 57 years since she last took the top spot, lol. :p

14. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks for all the replies.

I think I will have to pick up Rubber Soul and Revolver today. That should get me started. Can't wait to hear "Tomorrow Never Knows."

15. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

i sont have any, but i think sometimes the older bits sound better. i have i wanna hold your hand, and its a mono sound or something, and sounds quite tinny, but i think that makes the song.

i dunno, i missed the whole vinyl era.

16. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Got my Rubber Soul and Revolver. Absolutely brilliant. Cut my teeth on the US vinyl versions of yesteryear. Have never heard the original uk pressings which were apparently the best.

But these new things are like gifts from on high. Help and Abbey Road, next. Yum.

17. hud01

Gold Member

Unfortunately most people don't care. They listen to the music on their iPods and are happy.

The technology to make a better CD is out there, but nobody seems to want it.

18. AlbertCunning

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've decided the thing to do is to buy the mono-box, which is all you need if you're just interested in the early years, as well as 'Abbey Road' and 'Let It Be', which were always just stereo recordings.

As late as Sgt. Pepper(1967), mono was The Beatles' preferred format, and the mono version of Pepper is indeed different from the one in stereo from 1987, which I've owned for years, as well as my brother's old LP.

Many sound-effects appear to be different; for instance, the laughter following George's 'Within You Without You' is far more prominent, and at the end of the Sgt.Pepper Reprise, you can clearly hear Paul wailing away -- hardly audible in the old stereo version.

More strange are the differences on the white album.

Again, in mono, sound effects appear to be different here and there, but the two songs that stand out are:
    'Don't Pass Me By'(the first song I'd axe if I had the power to shorten the white album tracklisting; it doesn't matter which version), which for some mysterious reason is a semi-tone higher than on the stereo version, making Ringo's voice sound...odd...; and 'Helter Skelter', which is almost a minute shorter than in stereo, completely omitting Ringo's legendary exclamation: "I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS!".

Being a bit of a completist, I had to buy the white album in stereo as well, meaning I now own FOUR(4) white albums, probably equalized by Sgt. Pepper one of these days.
    I think I prefer the mono version of either album, but it's still early, and my mind might change.

The mono-box also includes an item called 'Mono Masters', which is basically the old Past Masters I and II, omitting songs from Past Masters II that only appeared in stereo: 'The Ballad of John and Yoko', 'Old Brown Shoe' and 'Let It Be'.

The good thing about this item, is that they decided to include mono versions of four tracks from the 'Yellow Submarine' album: 'Only A Northern Song'; 'All Together Now'; 'Hey Bulldog' and 'It's All Too Much'.

I realize that probably only 'Hey Bulldog' comes close to being a Beatle classic, but the inclusion of these tracks means that you really don't have to bother with the "new" release of 'Yellow Submarine' at all, unless you just have to own George Martin's symphonic work, taking up the original side two of the album.
    ('Yellow Submarine' is not included in the mono-box.
    I you want the song, pick up your 'Revolver'.)

Hmm...I just realized that if I want to own newly remastered versions of the omitted tracks, I'll have to buy Past Masters in stereo as well.
    And they don't call it Past Masters I and II anymore.
    Now it's just Past Masters.

Darn it!

Additionally, the german versions of 'She Loves You' and 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' are still present, which I can't make up my mind whether is a good or bad thing.

Probably the latter.

#18 AlbertCunning, Sep 27, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  19. chamisaguy

chamisaguy Active Member

Albums:
    ^^^ This. I've read many of the Amazon customers' reviews (quite detailed in themselves, some disc by disc comments) and also some friends on an audio forum I'm on -- most are agreeing with you and have convinced me to go ahead and squeeze the trigger and buy the new box set.

I've had several but not all the Beatles' CDs from the 1987 masterings -- and the new ones are reported to blow away those completely. I do have some of the original LPs, but hey, by now they're nostalgia items, having been played too many times on not-so-great equipment over the years, probably! LOL

And I DO have a fine "audiophile" sound system -- so I'm waiting for either Amazon or deepdiscounts.com to restock.

I don't use iPod/mp3 formats for critical listening, although there are lossless Apple formats I could use to convert the CD's to iPod -- it's just a big project! A tube-output CD player with a great DAC and Sunfire tube preamp improve CD playback immensely, by the way...

20. D_Gunther Snotpole

How lossless are the Apple formats? Do they claim to preserve essentially all the fidelity of the best CD technology?
    Just wonderin'.

An audiophile.
    I understand audiophiles are getting scarcer on the ground now that MP3 is so dominant.
    That's why I ask about Apple formats.
    If they work well enough, maybe the advantages of high fidelity reproduction aren't actually lost upon them.

Draft saved Draft deleted