Beautiful But Blind?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
To those few that feel it necessary to get nasty, cut it. We're hear to try to help Goodwood and you're not helping. Put your disagreement aside.[/QUOTE]
Though she may not have agreed with me, I really was trying to help when K8 made her anti-American comments. It went downhill from there. :redface:

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why do you feel bad for her? :confused: Because she can't see her own hotness in the mirror? :rolleyes: She may have been blind since birth. In which case it's not like she misses viewing sunsets.

I feel bad for her because being blind would be terrible. I have terrible eyes myself and can't even make out the arches at a McDonald's without my contacts in. I feel bad for anyone I see that's blind. Whether they were blind from birth and will never have the chance to see or they became blind at some point in their life, either way I feel bad because I have a solution to my seeing problem whereas they do not. Just wish something could be done about it, that's all

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was being neither anti-american nor 'snippy', just voicing my distaste at sueing some poor guy for something he clearly had nothing to do with.

That's all.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I was being neither anti-american nor 'snippy', just voicing my distaste at sueing some poor guy for something he clearly had nothing to do with.

That's all.

I didn't see it as either and, moreover, I agree with you.

Goodwood, I think you're getting good advice here. I can't personally imagine threatening my sight for the sake of appearance, as difficult a decision as that might be, but ultimately you're the one who has to weigh the risks and the rewards.

Last edited:

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
However i am told by a friend that owns many rental properties that he carries insurance for just this reason and he told me to contact the apt. complex, explain what happened and the injuries sustained and the medical care i required as a result. I have yet to call the apt. complex. While i am not suing them, i feel badly to even ask them to pay for my accident.

as a property owner this is my worst nightmare, i'm suprised anybody who owns investment property would make such a suggestion to you.

I feel for your situation but as you've said the accident didn't have anything to do with negligence on the property owners part. I'd be interested in hearing from an insurance adjuster as to whether such a claim would even be paid if there were no deficiencies or code violations existing at the time of your accident that contributed in any way. I know injuries on municipal property are different than on private property but fortunately i haven't had any first hand experience with this.

I realize somebody will end up paying for your treatment & recovery, but a claim against the property owner would raise his premiums and the people that live in his apartments will be charged for the increase.

even though we don't have nationalized healthcare in this country, we do have medicaid and ss disability which keep people from falling through the cracks when they're uninsured and unemployed.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
as a property owner this is my worst nightmare, i'm suprised anybody who owns investment property would make such a suggestion to you.

I feel for your situation but as you've said the accident didn't have anything to do with negligence on the property owners part. I'd be interested in hearing from an insurance adjuster as to whether such a claim would even be paid if there were no deficiencies or code violations existing at the time of your accident that contributed in any way. I know injuries on municipal property are different than on private property but fortunately i haven't had any first hand experience with this.

I realize somebody will end up paying for your treatment & recovery, but a claim against the property owner would raise his premiums and the people that live in his apartments will be charged for the increase.

even though we don't have nationalized healthcare in this country, we do have medicaid and ss disability which keep people from falling through the cracks when they're uninsured and unemployed.
Spoken like a man with a job. :rolleyes: In many states you don't just fill out a form and get medicaid or SSI. It can literally take years to qualify for either one. That's why so many Americans end up going bankrupt over medical bills. :angryfire2: Hundreds of people die each year waiting to be approved for Medicaid and SSI disability. :irked:

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Goodwood,

Know the exact risk. Everyone who has mentioned that you need an exact percentage is giving you great advice!

After you know the exact risk, ask yourself this question, and take a few days (or even a few weeks) to decide the answer: Is the extent of damage to my face so horrible that I won't be able to look myself in the mirror and feel good about myself?

Self esteem is often linked to physical attributes. If we think we look good, we often feel good about ourselves. It's a sad, but true part of being human. Depending on the importance you put on your own appearance, you may indeed live a happier life if you are blind but beautiful. It's a personal thing, and something you will have to think about for quite some time. That said, unless the chances of going blind are less than 1%, i think you should consider postponing your surgery. This is something that really takes quite serious thought.

Whatever you decide, I hope it goes well for you, and I hope you're coping well in your daily life now.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Spoken like a man with a job. :rolleyes: :irked:

I see. So, although it was Goodwood's "fault" or the fault of his dog, he should nonetheless sue the owner of the property on which the accident took place who was in every respect blameless for this tragedy? There is absolutely no negligence on the part of the owner but as others have pointed out premiums rise, rents will rise...

Sorry, nj. Who's being snarky now?

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
GW,
I am not sure how I would make a decision like this. Don't think you are especially indecisive. The only risk numbers that would help me decide better would be 0% chance of losing sight (its a knee operation). Or 100$ losing sight (its an eye operation).

In between is a kind of no man's land. Are there any risks from not having the surgery? You might have mentioned that already, but its been a few day since I read the thread.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Your looks or your sight, which is more important to you? OK, it probably isn't a straight choice between the two, but you have to weigh up the risks. Being blind isn't the end of the world though. I have a couple of blind friends, one who has run over 100 marathons and about 600 half marathons. He cycles a couple of hundred miles a week. He needs a sighted guide most of the time for running and cycling, but he's got things set up in his garden to allow him to train solo. He has two degrees, is a published author and now he's semi-retired, he has time to run two charities. He lost his sight completely when he was about ten. He's also involved with the cybernetics department at a local university and tests some of their equipment aimed at helping blind people become more independent. He was nearly arrested a couple of years ago for running around the campus waving a weapon. The guys in the lab hadn't really been thinking about terrorists and muggers when they designed his radar gun. They were just thinking about comfort and ease of use.

It's all about your attitude. If the worst comes to the worst, you have two choices, either curl up and become suicidal or make the best of what you've got. My friend has done a hell of a lot more with his life than most sighted people I know and he certainly doesn't consider himself disabled. I don't envy you your decision and I don't know which I would go for myself if I was in your situation. I hope it works out for the best though.

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, i have decided to go ahead with the surgery. I check in to the hospital hotel tonight for surgery wednesday morning at 7:30.
If the surgery was simply cosmetic for the sake of my cheekbone i would not have the surgery.
However after much research and talking with the doctors it is very necessary that i have it done b/c of the bone structure supporting my eye socket. With no supporting bone structure around my eye socket, i am putting myself at risk for serious eye complications down the road. So with that being the case, i really have no choice and will have it done and pray that i can see when the bandages come off in a week.

Well, i have decided to go ahead with the surgery. I check in to the hospital hotel tonight for surgery wednesday morning at 7:30.
If the surgery was simply cosmetic for the sake of my cheekbone i would not have the surgery.
However after much research and talking with the doctors it is very necessary that i have it done b/c of the bone structure supporting my eye socket. With no supporting bone structure around my eye socket, i am putting myself at risk for serious eye complications down the road. So with that being the case, i really have no choice and will have it done and pray that i can see when the bandages come off in a week.

Godspeed and best of luck to you. You are in my thoughts. It sounds like you've made the right decision. Please let us know how it goes when you get a chance.

Big :hug: for you!

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Perhaps I haven't been following you closely enough, but I hope you're at a major hospital where they specialize in facial reconstructive surgery in a city known for its medical care and are with friends and family and are not just still in some hotel room wherever it was this accident took place (St. Louis?). Those circumstances don't seem to be the best under which to make these decisions.

What happened to the dog?

Good luck.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think he's in Dallas now, honey!

Good Luck Goodwood!
I thought there would be other good reasons to operate, not just your looks!

I wish you all the very best and will keep you in my thoughts that all goes well and you'll be just fiiiiine!

Big hug :hug: