Beautiful People controversy

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm not that into popular culture so I'm always way behind when it comes to trends and so I just recently heard about BeautifulPeople.com, the dating site that only the super-attractive can join. :confused:

I saw the news item that 5,000 of its users were kicked off the site for gaining too much weight over the holidays. In an interview with BBC, site founder Robert Hintze said, "Letting fatties roam the site is a direct threat to our business model and the very concept for which BeautifulPeople.com was founded."
Beautiful People Dating Site Cleanses Itself of Fatties - Lemondrop.com

If you're not familiar with it, this is a dating site where you post your picture and the members vote on whether you are attractive enough to join their club. :eek: So far there is an 83% reject rate. 1.8 million have been turned down in the last 2 weeks. Brits have the highest reject rate. Fewer than 12 per cent of British men (that's one in eight) have been accepted and only 15 per cent (three in 20) of women. Swedish men and Norweigan women have the highest acceptance rate so far -- 65% and 76%, respectively. BeautifulPeople rate Brits the ugliest - Lemondrop UK

The Beautiful People website home pages says --
Do looks matter to you, when it comes to selecting a partner?
Do you want to guarantee your dates will always be beautiful?
No more filtering through unattractive people on mainstream sites (I love that one. :rolleyes: )

and perhaps tongue in cheek, but who knows --

Too Ugly to Sign Up?
Click here to browse Beautiful People as a guest​

Which almost gives me the feeling it's some professor's elaborate sociology experiment and he'll fess up in 30 days. (J.K.)
www.beautifulpeople.com

So what do we think of a website where your looks have to be voted on to be accepted? And if you have too much eggnog over the holidays you get kicked off?

My initial reaction is that I don't see it as being all that evil. Freedom of association and all that. Plus anything that can be done to help stem the obesity epidemic can't be all bad (not that this will accomplish that, but social pressure can help.)

However, having said that I don't think I would apply (not even sure if they accept gays so it might be moot point). Just doesn't sound like a nice group of people. The words "ugly" and "fat" are hurtful and unnecessary even if you do want to only date gorgeous people, and I have to admit I fit the stereotype of the gay man who is obsessed with physical beauty. However, if this website says "too ugly" etc. then I think the type of people who are drawn to it are going to be pretty superficial, even though I love a pretty face myself.

But although I probably wouldn't want to be part of that group, I feel they have the right to manage their dating lives however they see fit. However, I do feel that if people want to criticize them for using "ugly" and "fat" then that's fair also. In fact I think they are probably encouraging it as a PR stunt per the quote from their home page above.

OK, very long-winded fence sitting on my part. What do you think??

Last edited:

dj30905

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Huh...Just to check it out, I clicked the "Too Ugly" link. There is a message that say due to media coverage, the servers are overloaded, so there is a limit to who can get in there and check back later. Honestly, I wouldn't sign up because it does come off as being entirely superficial, which is a turn-off for me. I don't care how hot a girl is, if she is dumb as a brick, bitchy, or overly superficial, I wouldn't even consider it.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Brits have the highest reject rate. Fewer than 12 per cent of British men (that's one in eight) have been accepted and only 15 per cent (three in 20) of women.

I actually know some people who would agree with this as a generalization, who have, in fact, made remarks to this effect :eek:

have been aware of it since inception, and have never bothered to so much as visit the website; wouldn't think anything less of someone who would subscribe

in other words, a non-issue for me

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Huh...Just to check it out, I clicked the "Too Ugly" link. There is a message that say due to media coverage, the servers are overloaded, so there is a limit to who can get in there and check back later. Honestly, I wouldn't sign up because it does come off as being entirely superficial, which is a turn-off for me. I don't care how hot a girl is, if she is dumb as a brick, bitchy, or overly superficial, I wouldn't even consider it.

12 hours later and I still can't get in.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hate the site and everything it promotes, but being both fat and ugly, I would :tongue:
:eek:
OMG! Did someone through a vat of lye on you? When did you become ugly?!?! :confused: As for fat, that's highly unlikely as well, what with your penchant for corsets. :naughty: I always thought you were what men really mean when they say they want curvy. As opposed to what women mean when they post curvy in a dating profile. :biggrin1:

Sure, it may push the odd woman a pound or two overweight to slim a little more and get accepted, but what about all those it'll push too far? What about that really hot chick who gets dumped for some other random hot chick, signs up for some form of validation and gets declined?

On the plus side, I guess I could sneak on and use it to weed out all shallow, small minded assholes and remove them from my list of potentials...

*runs off to start a dating site for all those who can use your, you're, there, their and they're properly*[/QUOTE]Oooo, sign me up! :cool: :biggrin1:

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I could get on that site.

It's shocking that so few Brits are allowed in. Maybe its political, like the Eurovision song contest :tongue:

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm not that into popular culture so I'm always way behind when it comes to trends and so I just recently heard about BeautifulPeople.com, the dating site that only the super-attractive can join. :confused:

I saw the news item that 5,000 of its users were kicked off the site for gaining too much weight over the holidays. In an interview with BBC, site founder Robert Hintze said, "Letting fatties roam the site is a direct threat to our business model and the very concept for which BeautifulPeople.com was founded."
Beautiful People Dating Site Cleanses Itself of Fatties - Lemondrop.com

If you're not familiar with it, this is a dating site where you post your picture and the members vote on whether you are attractive enough to join their club. :eek: So far there is an 83% reject rate. 1.8 million have been turned down in the last 2 weeks. Brits have the highest reject rate. Fewer than 12 per cent of British men (that's one in eight) have been accepted and only 15 per cent (three in 20) of women. Swedish men and Norweigan women have the highest acceptance rate so far -- 65% and 76%, respectively. BeautifulPeople rate Brits the ugliest - Lemondrop UK

The Beautiful People website home pages says --
Do looks matter to you, when it comes to selecting a partner?
Do you want to guarantee your dates will always be beautiful?
No more filtering through unattractive people on mainstream sites (I love that one. :rolleyes: )

and perhaps tongue in cheek, but who knows --

Too Ugly to Sign Up?
Click here to browse Beautiful People as a guest​

Which almost gives me the feeling it's some professor's elaborate sociology experiment and he'll fess up in 30 days. (J.K.)
www.beautifulpeople.com

So what do we think of a website where your looks have to be voted on to be accepted? And if you have too much eggnog over the holidays you get kicked off?

My initial reaction is that I don't see it as being all that evil. Freedom of association and all that. Plus anything that can be done to help stem the obesity epidemic can't be all bad (not that this will accomplish that, but social pressure can help.)

However, having said that I don't think I would apply (not even sure if they accept gays so it might be moot point). Just doesn't sound like a nice group of people. The words "ugly" and "fat" are hurtful and unnecessary even if you do want to only date gorgeous people, and I have to admit I fit the stereotype of the gay man who is obsessed with physical beauty. However, if this website says "too ugly" etc. then I think the type of people who are drawn to it are going to be pretty superficial, even though I love a pretty face myself.

But although I probably wouldn't want to be part of that group, I feel they have the right to manage their dating lives however they see fit. However, I do feel that if people want to criticize them for using "ugly" and "fat" then that's fair also. In fact I think they are probably encouraging it as a PR stunt per the quote from their home page above.

OK, very long-winded fence sitting on my part. What do you think??

Right, so i have joined the site to work it out before i get booted as part of that 83% and i have discovered so far that...

unless you specifically search for foreign members you will only see those from your own nation so if brits are being dubbed the ugliest i think it must be because other than members own nations they are checking out the UK as a popular second search choice deciding they are not as hot as those from their own country and consequently having little substantial opinion unless they took the time to check out the profiles of over 200 countries individually.

secondly i found one user among the brit members on the very first page using a picture of the model phillip fusco!!! Total fake

thirdly, they have scripting errors

all in all a pathetic site because it cannot verify that the people in the pics are actually the people in the pics so makes their criteria subject to fraud with no means of address

lastly a dating site is generally used by those who are looking for dates :eek: shock horror i know, and so if you are utterly gorgeous then you are not likely to be needing the service. Essentially the british are among the best looking then because all our fitties are out getting hooked up or screwed whilst the fakers and superficial are left to ogle/repulse each other respectively. :rolleyes:

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Essentially the british are among the best looking then because all our fitties are out getting hooked up or screwed whilst the fakers and superficial are left to ogle/repulse each other respectively. :rolleyes:

or out playing rugby -- was just watching one of Magners League matches, thought of this thread, and paid especial attention to their faces ...

man, could hardly control myself -- those guys were hawt!

S

superbot

No kidding,this kinda site sounds almost fascistic!

mrplow2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I signed up. I probably will get rejected. I don't think i'm ugly though. I just put real pictures of me up (ie: me making a grilled cheese). Maybe I should put up a professional shot haha

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
SO there's a dating site especially for high status individuals? That honestly seems a bit stupid. Men and women of high status will have no trouble finding partners in real life and won't have to rely on the internet. I'm sure this dating site isn't doing very well and that this whole incident was nothing more than a publicity stunt to prop up a failing business.

ConstantComment

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I gave up on online dating. My age, 50, will exclude me from most men's searches even though in real life I attract men 10 to 20 years younger than myself. If I can't live a life full enough to meet elgible men without a bot, esepcially since I live in a large city, then I'm really screwed.

Beautiful ppl always seem high-maintenance and less-well adjusted/easy going than everyone else, lol.

I prefer sites where everyone is mixed together, much healthier than little elite groups (imo).

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Pathetic and very short sighted. Eventually, the person will age. THough they may be thin rich etc they will age and in spite of plastic surgery or botox there are certain areas on one's body that nothing can fix . So banking on physical beauty is a rather bad investment.

S

superbot

Beautiful ppl always seem high-maintenance and less-well adjusted/easy going than everyone else, lol.

I prefer sites where everyone is mixed together, much healthier than little elite groups (imo).
I think you're being too kind.How about, ego-gone-mad,narcistic,vain, inconsequencial,superficial nobodies!