Beauty Secrets

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by The Dragon, Jun 10, 2008.

1. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

Have you got a home made or store brought beauty secret?

Mine are:

*I have a milk bath once a week.
    I buy a 2kg packet of dried, full fat milk powder and add it to a hot bath.
    The latic acid in the milk acts as a chemical exfoliant and the milk fat moisturizes the skin.
    I do a complete body loofa to get rid of the dead skin and have a shower to rinse the milk off me.
    This treatment at a day spa can cost up to $150 plus but doing it at home costs me $5.

* Invest in a 30+ sun block and a wide brimmed hat. Nothing ages a skin more than the sun.

* 1 egg white and a small squeeze of lemon juice whisked together and applied to the face and neck as a tightening and refining mask.
    allow to dry.
    As it dries you quite literally feel the skin tighten and I have never had a reaction to it.
    Once dried you can wash it off with warm water and apply a moisturizer.
    This mask works very well.

#1 The Dragon, Jun 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  2. D_Ivana Dickenside

D_Ivana Dickenside New Member

i know my secrets are silly but they get results!

for rashes and irritated skin, i apply Vagisil (feminine itching cream) and it cools and makes the itching go away quick. yes, laugh at me for it, but when you're scratching like crazy and nothing else is around, use it. you're gonna swear by it afterwards, just watch. and think about it: if it's good enough to make the vagina stop itching, it's good enough for everything else!

for those ginormous bags under my eyes, i dab a bit of Preparation H (hemorrhoid cream) on them before i go to bed, and ta-da! bags be gone! laugh at me, but a lot of celebrities do this too. i read about it in one of those celebrity secrets articles ages ago.

to remove eye make up, i dab some lotion onto a cotton ball and wipe my eye until everything is gone. it comes off clean and it's so much better than using make up wipes. apparently a lot of people don't know about this trick.

oh and for eyebrows, instead of penciling them in or using eyebrow powder, i use a dark eyeshadow and a brush to apply it. it looks so much better and it comes out perfect... not too dark and not too light. plus if i apply too much i can always wipe it off with lotion on a cotton ball. this works wonders!!!

3. StraightCock4Her

StraightCock4Her New Member

Anyone else get hungry after reading this?

It's a good thing you'd take that milk bath with me or I'd never have any incentive to swim in milk. :biggrin1: :wink: :eek:

4. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I make all sorts of homemade salt scrubs for my face and body. I don't know how i'd live without salt in the shower!

5. Principessa

Gold Member

Wow, I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet?:confused:
    I guess I'm the only girl here who is black and raised by country folk.

VASELINE - I use it for:
    • make up removal
    • lip gloss
    • moisturizing all body parts
    • apply to gums before going someplace you have to smile a lot so your lips don't stick to your teeth
    Other Uses:
    • Assuming there is no WD-40, apply to a paper towel and use on the track for a sticky sliding glass door or window
    • Ditto bike chains
    • shining patent leather shoes & handbags

#5 Principessa, Jun 10, 2008
  6. D_Ivana Dickenside

D_Ivana Dickenside New Member

lol you're not the only one. i use vasline too and it works! especially when i don't have chapstick around, vasline is like the next best thing. it's also good for ashy/scratchy skin like dry elbows and ankles.

7. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ooooh! Good thread, ladies! Good suggestions.

8. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

Stacy, don't ya know that we other ladies can smell vagisil a mile away....its like IcyHot to the Jocks!

9. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

Tips are NEVER silly if they work sweetheart.
    My egg white and lemon juice face mask was given to me by a drag queen (I kid you NOT!)
    He claimed it was cheaper and better than botox and I have to say he was right.

10. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    I use sugar because salt is dehydrating. I cook the alcohol out of extracts, and use beautiful-smelling essential oils to add fragrance. It is important that the oils and extracts be very cold when you add them to the sugar. Otherwise, the sugar will begin to lose its sharp edges. I never use a scrub this harsh on my face. It's too abrasive.

My grandmother never uses hot water on her face; she only uses warm water, and cool water. She hardly has any wrinkles at 86.

I rinse with peroxide. It keeps my teeth very white.

I file my nails very short, and then buff them until they gleam. I do this, and add a conditioner to them and my cuticles daily. I can't wear nail polish in culinary school, but I can certainly still have pretty nails.

I moisturize with butter when I'm at school (and no one is looking). It makes me soft, and makes me smell edible. It has a very positive impact on men, and they seem to have no idea why.

11. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I like the salt because it seems to rinse off better than the sugar and the ANTS love the sugar remnants in the bathtub.

12. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    I failed to mention that the main ingredient in my sugar scrubs (besides sugar) is extra virgin olive oil. When I use the sugar scrub, I keep my skin very wet. I do spend a lot of time everywhere, so that means I have to give myself a quick spritz from the shower head before moving on the the next section. Keeping my skin wet before the scrub is applied, and scrubbing thoroughly means the scrub is mostly dissolved by the time I am even ready to rinse. The olive oil base wont rinse off well at all. This means I can effectively rinse off all of the sugar, without rinsing off my moisturizer. I then use dish-washing liquid (like Dawn or Joy) to wash the tub. Dish-washing liquid washes oil out of the tub or shower as well as sugar. I rinse the tub very well, and spray with bleach. I get no insects.

I'm prone to dryness. I can not justify rubbing salt into my skin. Salt draws water out of cells. For my purposes, it is completely counter-productive. If I were prone to oiliness I would worry that drawing water from my skin cells would trigger my skin to produce more oil to stay moist. But everyone's skin is different.

#12 AlteredEgo, Jun 10, 2008
  13. Principessa

Gold Member

14. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Try it now! (but wait until winter. It might draww bugs. I'm afraid to do it again until it cools off).

15. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    True dat. I tan well for a redhead but even so I keep the sunscreen on when outside. My face and neck have thanked me for it over the years.

I like to rub vaseline on my hands and feet and soak them in hot water. Makes them incredibly soft.

I ingest a lot of supplements: B-Complex for energy, Silica for hair and nails, CO10q (makes my skin more supple), Omega 3 fatty acids for hair, good sleep patterns, and overall health, MSM for joint, cartilage repair, and a women's multivitamin for everything else.

Lots of water and sleep. I notice the difference when i'm lacking in one or both.

16. joybunny

joybunny New Member

I am a big fan of olive oil. I use it all over my body. I also like Queen Helene's 100% Cocoa Butter Stick as well as the Mango & Cocoa Butter Lotion. All of them are great moisturizers, evens my skin tone and the lotion smells, well, delicious. Even though a lot of people swear by Vaseline, I try to limit my use of petroleum based products. I'm found that the olive oil effectively penetrates my skin more effectively especially after a bath or shower.

I am planning to try taking a milk bath today. It sounded so heavenly I went out and bought the powdered milk yesterday. Thanks for the info!

#16 joybunny, Jul 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  17. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

Let us know what you think Joybunny

18. joybunny

joybunny New Member

I loved it! I did switch it up a little by combining 3 cups powdered milk, 1 cup of oatmeal, 1/2 cup honey and 3 tablespoons olive oil in a food processors. I put a generous amount in my bath and soaked. Before the evening was through I did a mud mask and painted my toes. My skin feels so soft and smooth. Thanks for such a great idea!

19. D_PlankWilliams

D_PlankWilliams New Member

Whatever your doing its working :) I guess milk does do the body good. DF you could really make one hell of a milk commercial:tongue:

20. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

Thank you Darlin'.

Draft saved Draft deleted