Beavis and Butthead return!

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Beavis and Butthead are coming back to MTV after 14 years.

Mike Judge is going back to formula and it'll be hand drawn, but they're leaving Daria out... :(

I just wonder how the show is going to be now that pop-culture has changed so much. I like to think that Beavis and Butthead could bring about a revolution in tv and bring us back to where we were a decade or two ago, but I doubt it.

Anyway, what do you guys make of this whole thing?

You think it'll be good, bad?
Do you think he can make it like it was, or do you think he'll really try?

Last edited:

Endued

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Do MTV even play the stuff they used to comment over these days? I thought it was all R&B and poppy stuff now. Actually, it could well be funnier with that sort of music, now that I think about it.

I'll be checking this out though. I only saw the movie, but I laughed my socks off at that (admittedly when I was about 15, but still...).

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I have always loved B and B, they introduced me to a lot of kick ass music, and that's one thing I'm really worried about.

I hate MTV now, I can't stand the music.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Uh huh huh huh huh . . . cool!

After much initial resistance, indeed revulsion, I came to be an admirer of the Beavis and Butthead cartoons toward the end of their run. I even went to the trouble of getting the DVD collection when it was published by Time-Life Video (!), years before a more comprehensive collection came out. I have mixed feelings about a revival. On the one hand, the kind of idiocy that they represent is perennial, so it should be easy enough to transpose the characters from the 1990s into the present. On the other hand, I assume that Mike Judge moved on to other things because he had done everything with those two that he could do at the time; it seems unlikely that he can produce the same hilarity again.

Still, even if a revived B&B is not as good as the original run, I hope it will introduce a younger generation to a great satirical invention.

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Still, even if a revived B&B is not as good as the original run, I hope it will introduce a younger generation to a great satirical invention.

I agree, because I don't think the stuff these younger kids are watching is that clever...

I don't know though, I just have high hopes I guess cause it was such a huge part of my childhood.

monel

Sexy Member
Media
Beavis and Butthead are coming back to MTV after 14 years ... I just wonder how the show is going to be now that pop-culture has changed so much. I like to think that Beavis and Butthead could bring about a revolution in tv and bring us back to where we were a decade or two ago...

I don't know the answer but if you consider anecdotal evidence, I have two teenaged sons - arguably the target audience. One loves B&B. The other hates it.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I never saw the original show and don't plan on seeing the reincarnation. However in the early 90's I was at a professional-social- get-together that had name badges at the door and I wrote Beavis on my name tag... I was very popular that night and loads of people wanted to talk to me. :confused:

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I never saw the original show and don't plan on seeing the reincarnation. However in the early 90's I was at a professional-social- get-together that had name badges at the door and I wrote Beavis on my name tag... I was very popular that night and loads of people wanted to talk to me. :confused:

Unfortunately I think the show has become memorable for all the wrong reasons. Most poeple get a kick out a screaming "Cornholio" and "Fire" and doing the shirt tuck... And while it was funny 14 years ago that has always been far from B and B's only joke. I admit I don't usually talk about this show because most people like it for the most basic reasons.

Like how these days most people don't appreciate the idea that half the jokes from Famil Guy are borrowed from the Carol Burnette show in some kind of comedy homage.

It may have been a dumb show, but it was funny for a lot of different reasons.

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Fuck me!

About time old Mikey boy got back in to this.

Wonder if it will still be the music video format (Which sometimes was the best part), or will that be dropped now?

Mike says he's going to use his original formula for these episodes, the real question is "With as much as music has change can the music video segments still be that entertaining?

What can they say Family Guy or South Park hasn't already?

I don't know, but if there is something to be said, Mike'll say it.

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
they kinda never left tv because "kind of the hill" is basically a spin-off. the main character in King of the Hill is based on the neighbor of Beavis and Butt-head. I hate King of the Hill by the way. lol

I hate King of the Hill as well, but I wouldn't say B and B never left because of the fact KotH has been on, I would scarcely consider Daria a continuation of B and B either.

God I hate King of the Hill so much...

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Favorite lines or moments from Beavis and Butthead?

One that stays in my memory occurs when the boys are watching a movie in their driver's education class. The movie appears to date from the 1950s. Butthead says: "This is from when people were stupid!"

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Favorite lines or moments from Beavis and Butthead?

One that stays in my memory occurs when the boys are watching a movie in their driver's education class. The movie appears to date from the 1950s. Butthead says: "This is from when people were stupid!"

Yea, I'll always remember that because a girl I went to high school with said the same thing, except she'd never seen B and B, it was a laugh.