Becoming Obese...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by RideRocket, Jul 21, 2007.

1. RideRocket

Gold Member

An interesting article:

Study predicts 75 percent overweight in U.S. by 2015
    Study predicts 75 percent overweight in U.S. by 2015 - Yahoo! News

Although I completely disagree with using BMI as a measure of bodyfat/overweightness, this article still points to an alarming trend in our society - people and our children are becoming more obese. Just like smoking, I'm sure this will be the next big discriminator (no pun intended) if it hasn't begun already. Healthcare costs associated with obesity are already rising as are lawsuits (from both sides).

I'd be curious to see people's responses as to why people are becoming so obese (and it's not just in the US). The simple and stereotypical answer would be that 'these' people need to quit eating so much, start exercising, get motivated, have some self-respect, etc. There's got to be more to it than that though. Thoughts?

2. snoozan

Gold Member

this is one of the first times in history that a large percentage of the population (specifically, the western world) have had access to an abundance of food. the human body is wired to eat when food is plentiful and store fat when it's not plentiful, which makes it easy to gain weight and hard to lose it. pair that with the lessening need to be physically active to go about daily life and you've got a recipe for obesity. there are other reasons as well, but these seem like the two biggest to me.

3. D_N Flay Table

D_N Flay Table New Member

keep us fat and lazy, that way we cant fight the goverment!

4. RideRocket

Gold Member

Good point, especially considering that so much of our food is crap. Empty calories, refined or processed foods, etc. Plus as you pointed out, automation, computers, etc have led to a more sedentary lifestyle.

However, if people realize these things, why don't they do something about it?

5. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    As the saying goes, you are what you eat. Odd as it sounds, there might be some truth in that statement.

In America, immense quantities of pork, beef, dairy and chicken are eaten. Now, the funny thing about pigs, cattle and poultry is that they ALL GET FAT -- given the opportunity, they will all eat themselves into a fatty, "overweight" status.

On the other hand, fish NEVER GET FAT. Although fish do "make" fat, they never BECOME fat. And unlike the "lard" found in other animals, fish fat is beneficial to the human body.

With meat and cheese being piled on buns and tortillas in ever-growing quantities in fast food establishments, Americans are eating more meat/dairy than ever before. But if you look at populations where little meat/dairy is eaten and/or where fish is a primary protein source, surprise!, the populations tend to be quite lean.

(Meantime, have you ever seen a fat plant or an overweight pinto bean?!)

I wish scientists were able to better study growth factors in the animals we eat. But, because of the ephemeral nature of hormones, little is known about them. For all we know, there could be dozens of unknown hormones in mammals -- hormones that say, "eat!", "grow!", "store fat!", "eat more!" "store more fat!" etc., etc., ad naseum, ad obesium.

My solution to the Great American Weight problem is to not eat flesh or dairy from any animal that can become obese. The only flesh I eat (other than fellatio) (smile) is fish because fish don't get fat. Other than that, I am a vegetarian (no dairy).

And I think my pictures prove that it's a great way not to get fat.

6. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Lay off the junk food or only have it as a treat. I only had it as a treat when I was younger (ie once a month or so), not every day like some people. And I never tried to sue McDonalds :rolleyes:

7. earllogjam

Gold Member

This is a good way to solve our Social Security problem. Fat people live shorter lives hence will not be cashing out the money they dumped into the system. Fat kids even live shorter lives. Thanks McDonald's "I'm loving it."

8. RideRocket

Gold Member

Then how do you explain those gorgeous milk jugs of yours??? :smile:

9. dolfette

Gold Member

cooking from scratch is a dying art.
    the full time housewife is rarer, so it's too time consuming for many.

i think that's a huge issue.

10. snoozan

Gold Member

a lot of people simply don't have access to fresh unprocessed food. if you look at what WIC and other public programs provide for the poor you see that its mostly processed food because it's cheap. fresh food carries a premium that a lot of people can't afford.

there's nothing simple. i gained a lot of weight by simply being exhausted and trying to care for a newborn. food makes me feel good. i didn't have the time or mental energy to do something about it until i wasn't completely overwhelmed with work and caring for a child. i didn't even think about what i ate, and it doesn't help that restaurants have inflated portion sizes to almost ridiculous levels so most people have no idea how much they are really eating.

the biggest thing for me is that people like to eat. it makes us feel good. it makes our brains release happy chemicals. our bodies want us to eat as much as we can so that if the food supply goes away, there is ample fat storage to live off of for awhile. except we don't have food shortages anymore. i think that predisposes us to overeat unless we are aware of it.

11. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Don't tuna fish have breasts? :wink:

12. RideRocket

Gold Member

Would that be considered another source of Omega-3 fatty acids?

13. snoozan

Gold Member

Actually I know plenty of vegetarians who are fat because they substitute carbohydrates, sugars, and fats for lean animal protein. Vegetarians who stay slim are generally ones that know not to fall in this trap.

As far as animals that don't get fat versus animals that do, I'm not really understanding wht you're talking about. I really don't see any scientific basis for those statements, nor do they make any logical sense. Salmon is fatty as are other fish. Nuts, even though they don't have potbellies, are full of fat, as are avacados, olives, etc.

I'm not arguing that some of the practices of the beef, dairy, and poultry industries aren't reprehensible, but I don't think that's what you're getting at. I'm not thrilled with what vegetable farmers do to increase yields of their products either. Vegetarianism isn't a panacea for obesity and other food-related health problems.

14. dolfette

Gold Member

i'm feeling so lucky.

the little local green grocers are cheaper than the supermarkets.

it's cheaper to eat healthy here.

15. RideRocket

Gold Member

The biggest thing I've done in my diet is eliminate refined sugars and processed foods. I still eat like crap at times though. However, I make a point of it to exercise regularly. I think that's the other part of the equation that is so lacking in most people's daily routines. Thirty minutes isn't a whole lot to set aside.

16. ganja4me

Gold Member

Albums:
    I make sure I watch what I eat now but I didn't used to do that. When I was younger I used to eat whatever I want and I ended up getting fat. Then I decided to do something about it. I lost all my fat in one spring and summer. I do eat meat but not as much and I make sure I eat more fruit and vegetables. I like seafood a lot too which is lean so no problem there. You can tell I'm from Maryland. My favorite food is steamed crabs with old bay. No more junk food for me either I don't even really like it as much anymore. If more people would just eat food that is good for you and get more exercise there wouldn't be any obesity problems. I think it is just people being lazy that is causing this. It is not that hard to do what I did. Healthy food tastes good too. Exercise isn't that bad if you find someone you like to do. For me it was sports. Some people like lifting weights, swimming, jogging/walking. Some people just don't feel like putting any effort into their health.

17. ganja4me

Gold Member

Albums:
    Fish and nuts and other things do have fat but they have less saturated fat than bacon or a burger. She is just saying they are less fattening than meat that come from cows or pigs.

18. snoozan

Gold Member

No. What she's saying is that because nuts don't get overweight, people don't get overweight from eating them. Read her post. As far as i can tell, she's being 100% literal about what she's saying. If it doesn't physically get overweight, it doesn't make you fat. Salmon is a lot fattier than lean chicken meat, but if you follow her logic, the chicken makes you fatter.

An ounce of almonds has about 2 times as much fat as an ounce of lean ground beef.

How many kids do you have?
    How many jobs do you have?
    How many hours a day do you work?
    Can you afford to have a gym membership?
    If not, can you afford to have exercise equipment?
    Is there room in your home for exercise equipment?
    How much sleep do you get so you have enough energy to exercise?
    Do you live in an area where it is safe to walk or jog any time of the day?
    Do you have transportation to get to somewhere where you can walk or jog?

Etc. Etc.

Honestly, I am sick of reading threads about why fat people suck and what you thin people are doing right that every fat person should be able to do easily. It's bullshit. I'm going to take my 175 pound body (BMI 25.8) to bed before I get too pissy.

19. dolfette

Gold Member

that's insane!

i can get literally two carrier bags of fruit & veg for less that £5 if i'm shopping carefully.

i know what i'm getting today!
    red & yellow peppers, stuffed with lemon cous cous & topped with a little goats cheese *drool*
    all this talk of veg has given me a craving.

20. earllogjam

Gold Member

Another factor that many of us just don't realize is that we have become a nation of suburbs and strip malls. Everything built within the last 50 years has taken out exercise as an integral part of our lives. We have built an infrastructure that revolves around the car, air conditioning, and unwalkable distances. Sprawl over density. I look at places at Phoenix, Houston, and Los Angeles and it is no wonder why most people are fat in these environments. No one walks. No one needs to. You do need a car, however, to live in these places -- not so in cities that were formed in the 19th century like New York and most of Europe. Where walking is the best way to get around town. It is part of your daily routine.

Exercise is now done at a set time in a private membership only facility not in walking distance which invariably the poor are excluded from. The devout few who have the money, will, and time are the ones who get exercise. We have built our enviroment where exercise has been made inconvienent.

Draft saved Draft deleted