Beer drinkers!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by got_lost, Aug 23, 2008.

1. got_lost

Gold Member

Of all you lovely beer drinkers out there, I have a question!

Having just got myself a bit of a summer job behind the bar in the local pub, I've been doing quite well except I never know how much head to give!!!! :cool:

Some blokes I know don't want much head at all, if any, as then they get a 'full pint' of beer.

Yet once I'd perfected the art of giving no head, other blokes started to ask for it! :eek:

I then started asking how much head did they want? Do they like a lot of head on just a bit? Big head or small head?

But that was a bad idea!!! :rofl:

So guys... tell me.... how much head do I give?! :biggrin1:

2. duplo

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have been Pulling Black Ship for ½ a year for about 7 years ago I just have to say Best beer ever :wink:
    It was hard work with all the drunk People. But hey that's part of the job I gues :cool:

3. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    To have a well poured draft with just about no head on it is wonderful. Can you do that?

4. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Don't pull too hard, but give plenty of head to start and then let it settle to a nice creamy smooth finish. :wink:

5. mickswim

mickswim New Member

Albums:
    lordy l,..]

6. mickswim

mickswim New Member

Albums:
    i
    ;;
    pu;ll -== let's see what's out there butterfly7 ?

7. mickswim

mickswim New Member

Albums:
    sorry kate - mic here - was hyst wwoirkin on a new music

similar to blood brothe4rs

K*

8. camper joe

Gold Member

Kate most guy enjoy lots of head and often a beer afterwards. :tongue:

9. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Just the tip. :p

Kidding. I don't know for sure. I wanna say maybe an inch or two of head at the very top of the pint. By the way, very very gross trick and probably not one you want to do while serving a beer, but if your beer is too frothy, wipe your finger on your forehead to get some of the natural oil from your skin and swirl it into the foam; it'll disappear quickly.

10. transformer_99

Gold Member

Back in the day, Anheuser-Busch would come to the bar I had a job with and have an instructional on pouring what they felt was the perfect beer. And it does have the foamy head to it. There were a lot of factors involved that a bartender wouldn't have any control of. Things like pressure for the kegs and taps had to be calibrated, there was also a technique to pouring the beer into the pitcher or mug from the tap. It's a 1" foam layer for Budweiser. A-B maintains that pouring the beer down the middle and creating the 1" foam layer releases carbonation, it allows the beer to breathe and release the aroma of the beverage.

That's for Budweiser, there's always the credo, "the customer is always right" and in those cases, I'd recommend starting with the proper head and if they wanted the drink tightened up, well, you can always tilt it wnd continue pouring until the head runs over the lip of the mug/pitcher.

11. Principessa

Gold Member

I used to bartend at the Count Basie Theater and I was taught to tilt the glass slightly first so that I got a bit of foam then straighten the glass up. The goal was to have .5 to .75 inch of foam at the top. Now aesthetically I think a full inch of foam looks better; but some people would bitch about not getting their moneys worth. :tongue:

12. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I dont drink beer and i get my dick sucked nearly every day. Yes she puts a head on it.

13. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

K8 when you serve your man you should always look at him if he is smiling then you are giving him the right amount of head, if however he is frowning you should alter the amount of head accordingly. If he is smiling and looking at your chest he probably wont notice either way.

Some people think that yopu should give more head for smaller measures I don't think this is the case and you should give equal amounts of head for small and large ones

14. got_lost

Gold Member

Thank you for your helpful tips my lovelies!!! :smile:

I can do that sir! :biggrin1:

Mmmm I think I need practise with that but would love to get THAT just right! :tongue:

It would be easier for me if they could have the beer first then wait for me to finish my shift :rolleyes:

How big are your inches?!? :eek:
    And I'd love to see their faces if I start sticking my finger in it! :lmao:

I thought there might be some 'science' behind it all :rolleyes:
    But I'm a woman and don't read instructions ever. I'm more of a 'hands-on' girl who is best taught by instruction and demonstration! :wink:

And the trouble is, once I've started with head, I find it really difficult to stop :cool:

I'd bitch too! :cool:
    Anything more that a cm, or, as I prefer to call it, a finger, and I am automatically offering to top it up! :rolleyes:

Aethetically for me, a finger is perfect! :smile:

Show off! :tongue:
    You're a lucky lucky man, Mr Snakey!

Ahhh ha! Eye contact! I suspected eye contact was important.
    Trouble is I cannot tell if they are looking at their pint or my cleavage cos they're both about the same height.
    But they definitely are all smiling whenever I ask how much head they'd like! :biggrin1:

Weirdly, it is much easier to give head on the smaller measures though.
    It's the big ones I have a challenge with! :cool:

:wink:

15. camper joe

Gold Member

16. transformer_99

Gold Member

K8, I wouldn't lie to you:

Budweiser

7 Lager Lessons, #4:

Foam is your friend, the foam protects the beer from harmful light and oxygen, while releasing the natural carbonation, aromas and flavors. Pour down the center of the glass and produce a 1" collar of foam. That's for Budweiser and not every beer is Budweiser.

What it is for say Guiness is entirely up to them to indicate. Personally, I like even a head on Guiness (creme and black). But I've seen others keep it black all the way to the brim of the glass.

http://www.guinness.com/us_en/

Six Degrees of Preparation

GUINNESS® Draught is best served at 6°C (that’s 42.8°F), with the legendary two-part pour. First, tilt the glass to 45 degrees and carefully pour until three quarters full. Then place the glass on the bar counter and leave to settle. Once the surge has settled, fill the glass to the brim. It takes about 119.5 seconds to pour the perfect pint. But don’t fret. It’s worth the wait.

#16 transformer_99, Aug 24, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  17. numberseven

numberseven New Member

In your veiled sense, I'll take all you want to give :tongue: In your serious sense, I like anywhere between zero and about 2cm of head... I prefer more on dark beers and less on light.

18. got_lost

Gold Member

Transformer 99 - Thank you for the research! :smile:

I think an inch of head here is too much. They just ask me to top it up.

As for the perfect pint of Guinness, I have that down pat! I had a gorgeous young Irish lad in the pub getting drunk out of his skull one night and he tutored me well! :wink:

Who'd have thought it would all be so technical! :rolleyes:

Numberseven!!! :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

19. got_lost

Gold Member

So here's another predicament :biggrin1:

Sticky handles and knobs! :tongue:

It's been pretty busy in the pub this weekend which has meant I've had help behind the bar. This has been quite fun except I've noticed that the handles that I have to pull to get the beer out (and head, obviously) have become very sticky.

I appreciate the best time to deal with these is at the end of the night, once I've finished serving, which is what I usually do. But I'm finding that I can't wait that long and need to give them a rub down mid-way through the service.

Technique wise, I'm fine. I get a clean, damp cloth and start with the knob and work my way down the shaft of the handle, gently massaging it up and down to remove all the stickiness.

My problem really, I s'pose, is a privacy issue. I've noticed people staring! :eek:
    I've also noticed people sniggering and giggling at my actions.

Don't they realise it's an important part of my job. I mean, how would they like it if they had to pull on a sticky handle all night!??! :cool:

I've tried all sorts of subtle ways to give them a rub down but it's really quite difficult. They stand so tall and erect they are in full view of everyone.

I even tried pulling them first so that they were at an angle towards me, but then they just looked as if they were stuck in my cleavage and pointing at my face!!! I also got my feet wet cos I'd forgotten to put something down to catch the beer! :rolleyes:

I've considered some kind of lubrication, that might at least help me get through the sticky bits and stop my hand getting stuck to the shaft, but I'm a little anxious that I might lose my grasp on the handle altogether and hurt someone! :cool:

:wink:

20. hot-rod

Gold Member

:Flush: Cool! For all the watersports lovers out there, beer makes for good tall glass of recycled suds too! :love:

#20 hot-rod, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
Draft saved Draft deleted