MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
:D oh I do envy you. I'm an ale person. I LOVE porters and stouts (especially oatmeal stouts, cream stouts and the like). Basically, the darker the ale, the better. I'm not too much of a fan of Guinness, though. Its not carbonated enough and it doesn't taste full enough. The head is the PERFECT creaminess, though. Kinda why I wanna craft my own ale: to get the perfect blend of creamy head, rich malty body with chocolate and molasses highlights and a smooth, bitter finish. I'm thinking a chocolate stout of some kind. I just recently tried an American microbrew called Oskar Blue's Old Chub and Oskar Blue's Pale Ale and DAMN that was some good beer. Gotta support the U.S. microbreweries if at all possible. They need all the help they can get...

i am sexually aroused by this comment. eta: this comment & entire thread :smile:

atwater brewery has the most amazing porter... just kick puppies, life of crime, acts against god to get a 6 pack good.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer = Beer Good, Beer Foamy

I had a pint of ice cold Fosters this evenin' while I watched the Liverpool/Benfica game, and it was spot on. ;)

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewery. Good stuff, as is their Double Bastard Ale.
Lovely with a thick wedge of crusty bread, with some Stinkin' Bishop cheese on it. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

conntom

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm like Flashy. Hated most beer but more recent experimentation has proven worthwhile.

There are many I like now from major brands like bass and guiness to microbrews I try here and there that are great.

Flashy - try the killians if you haven't already.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm like Flashy. Hated most beer but more recent experimentation has proven worthwhile.

There are many I like now from major brands like bass and guiness to microbrews I try here and there that are great.

Flashy - try the killians if you haven't already.

i have tried it, but it is not real Killians from what i know ( i may be wrong) it is brewed by Coors, and just uses the name "Killians" which was bought by two other beer firms over the years and the real Killians Brewery closed sometime in the 40s or 50s IIRC.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Beer is farkin' health food! Small beer-- that is nonalcoholic beer, is made at home in the summertime by every householder and drunk by all ages in my culture (Finnish). It kept huge numbers of Europeans alive when their water supplies were bad, consumed at every meal.

The triune goddess Brigid was capable of turning her bathwater into beer.

Here where I live famous breweries arose, went corporate, sold out and added weird flavorings (like Leinenkugel's has) but there are still decent labels for ordinary consumption that are an honest tasty value, like Berghoff. And the local microbrews have made it an adventure to be a beer snob.

I got a taste for bitter and for Guinness when I was in the British isles, but they do not export well.

Hotrocker

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewery. Good stuff, as is their Double Bastard Ale.

This. That stuff is some damn good strong beer.

i guess i did not like beer alot when i was young, since the only beer i ever really had was total crap...(like the type you get in college in kegs...the cheapest shit) or whatever you could get your hands on...so naturally, growing up, i thought that all beer was essentially either Budweiser or Coors, which frankly, i always hated.

This is a big problem with America's beer situation: too many people are only turned on to the shitty American Pilsner piss water that they overlook the really good stuff.

i only drank lager, because i never really knew the difference...and even then, it was always something mass produced, like Corona, Heineken, Amstel,

then i started to try different lagers, that were a bit better...

but then i was intrigued when i heard for the first time about "Oatmeal stout"...and i really wanted to try it, since i like oatmeal, and i figured that it certainly could not taste worse than the yucky lagers i'd only known about.

I have the exact same story. I thought it sounded delish, and I tried it and I was right. I recommend it to everyone now.

i would have to say, in my limited beer drinking, my favorites are Bass Ale and Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout

This. :arms: I fucking LOVE Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. That was the first stout I ever had and its still one of the bests I've had. Such a great, creamy, rich taste to it. And Bass is great, too, but when I want a pale ale, I go for Smithwicks or the like. Still, Bass is great beer.

i have also read alot online about other oatmeal type stouts and such

but if others can offer some good tips on those types of brews i mentioned, and others i might like that are similar, i.e thicker, but not bitter....more sweet, i'd be happy to hear any suggestions so i could try them.

Yeungling Black and Tan (a good, dark American porter blended with lager)
Oskar Blue's Old Chub (A dark Scottish Ale)
Sierra Nevada Porter and Sierra Nevada Stout
Anything from Dogfish Head Brewery

i am sexually aroused by this comment. eta: this comment & entire thread :smile:

hahahaha I'm flattered

atwater brewery has the most amazing porter... just kick puppies, life of crime, acts against god to get a 6 pack good.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer = Beer Good, Beer Foamy

I'm definitely gonna have to check these out...

Beer is farkin' health food! Small beer-- that is nonalcoholic beer, is made at home in the summertime by every householder and drunk by all ages in my culture (Finnish). It kept huge numbers of Europeans alive when their water supplies were bad, consumed at every meal.

Now this sounds like a good culture :wink:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeungling Black and Tan (a good, dark American porter blended with lager)
Oskar Blue's Old Chub (A dark Scottish Ale)
Sierra Nevada Porter and Sierra Nevada Stout
Anything from Dogfish Head Brewery

thanks, i'll check some of those out.

actually the first oatmeal stout i tried, was about 15 years ago, and it was called "Young's Oatmeal Stout", and i did not like it all that much...then i had the Sam Smith's and i really liked it much more than the Young's. Young's tasted a bit more "alcoholly" if that makes sense.

i have also read about a couple of other good ones i'd like to try...

like imperial stouts...

i have heard of Dogfish Head Brewery, but it seems to me (and i certainly may be wrong) that they tend to produce many much stronger beers, which worry me, since i really do not like the taste of alcohol itself (as i mentioned not liking the taste of hard alcohol in my first post)...so for a much stronger beer like the Dogfish ones, they might be too high in alcohol content for me being able to enjoy them in the same way i enjoy a Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout, for instance, which is only 5% ABV. (i seem to recall the Dogfish ones being like 18% to 23% alcohol by volume, or something like that! :eek:)

Hotrocker

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
haha, you'll very rarely find a beer any higher that 10% ABV, so you don't have to worry about that much. However, some of Dogfish Head's beers can be a bit strong (8%-10% ABV is a bit strong for a beer and you'll taste the alcohol moreso than you would in a "normal" beer of 4-7%ABV). Its all a matter of preference.

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
I know i will get slated for this, but i do like Snakebite. For those that dont know, its Half beer, Half cider and some Blackcurrent.

If you leave it long enough, it goes to the consistancy of wallpaper paste.
And alot of places dont sell it as they cant properly advertise alcohol content and it apparently makes people violent (although its widely drank here, and i never see it or experiance it myself.)

Despite this is bloomin' nice.

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Belgian ales are good but many brands over rated and over priced. Village brewed beers from Bohemia and northern Moravia are excellent. Sorry but ale should not be overly carbonated, if you want fizz drink Pepsi.

Small beer was a staple and nutritious drink for Europeans for over 2000 years. The pernicious drinks of coffee and tea eclipsed it leading to malnutrition. Even Queen Victoria served ales at luncheon, though not at dinner. The worst beers in the world must be in the UK and USA, though so called boutique breweries are gaining ground. Try Wagle Dance, Bishop's Finger, Old Peculiar.

We need to organise an LPSG trip to the Oktoberfest Beer Festival in Munich! :biggrin1:

Kotchanski has agreed to serve behind the bar, at the LPSG-fest. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't know if I have a favorite beer as I drink it infrequently.
I'll have one or two on the hottest day of summer and one or two on a ski trip. My only requisite is that it must be ice cold.

instynctive

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I am a sucker for Gritty McDuff's Best Brown Ale... can only get it here in Maine. Really like Smithwick's and Guinness.. Sam Adams is also really close o the top of my list as well.

But.. since I'm perpetually broke, my "cheap" beer of choice is Coors Light. It doesn't taste too much like ass (in a bad way) and does the trick.