Beer

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Beer was invented out of necessity. Water was previously diseased with everything. The boiling process the water goes through filters the liquid of disease and impurities, thus sustaining populations and helping build civilisations. Plato said "He was a wise man who invented beer." However, I have often wondered why ancient man could not simply boil water from streams and rivers in the same way and drink the filtered, non-alcoholic pure liquid. It seems like an excuse to get drunk to me.

Read up on how difficult it is to boil water in fired clay containers. And no one has discovered giant copper or iron kettles from the bronze age, although they appear in cartoons and movies about cannibals. However, several millennia before the bonze age when beer was created -- either by luck or design -- there's is quite a bit of mounting evidence that meeting up to get a buzz on is one of the changes in the ways humans lived as we converted from hunter/gatherer tribes to irrigation and agriculture civilizations. However, all pre pottery and pre bronze cultures (yes, a few still exist) have something in common: 1. a way to invoke hallucinations via the use of one or a combination of plants that are hallucinogens and 2. a means to make a mild alcoholic beverage enjoyed by all.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Read up on how difficult it is to boil water in fired clay containers. And no one has discovered giant copper or iron kettles from the bronze age, although they appear in cartoons and movies about cannibals. However, several millennia before the bonze age when beer was created -- either by luck or design -- there's is quite a bit of mounting evidence that meeting up to get a buzz on is one of the changes in the ways humans lived as we converted from hunter/gatherer tribes to irrigation and agriculture civilizations. However, all pre pottery and pre bronze cultures (yes, a few still exist) have something in common: 1. a way to invoke hallucinations via the use of one or a combination of plants that are hallucinogens and 2. a means to make a mild alcoholic beverage enjoyed by all.

Very interesting, I understand that it's a social thing. My point is that we (as humans) could have chosen to drink a non-alcoholic beverage, if we wanted to. It's amazing that nothing has really changed in thousands of years.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
every year between Halloween and St Paddy's my mid-section gets mysteriously soft and pudgy ... coming to the tail end of that current period, my buddy has prohibited imbibing that particular beverage, while we work on recovering my six-pack

otherwise, I'd be working on my own chocolate beer recipes ... man, can't hardly wait!

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have a new favorite. Schell's Stout from New Ulm Mn. It's as good as Ale Asylum Contorter, made locally. But for everyday my six ounces is Lazy Mutt from Minhas.

Intrigue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't drink nearly as much as I used too. It was a problem at one time. But if I drink now I usually keep it to 1-3 and only beers I really like. I like any Dunkel or dark brew. There was this one beer I thought was hilarious "He'brew: The Chosen Beer" lol. With all characteristically funny names of famous Jews. Like Moses Malt of some other shizz. It had me rolling! =D

I do like IPA beers for some reason. I don't know many people who like them. Far too hoppy for most. Like LongHammer or RedHook.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I like a hoppy beer myself, but many IPAs in the USA are too high in alcohol for me to fully enjoy, and I'm not going to drink it on the rocks! :shock:

hot-rod

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sadly I never really developed a taste for beer. But for some reason on the hottest day of summer an ice cold beer is just delicious. I think I have about two beers a year.
Get a six-pac of Modelo. Poor one over ice, squeeze 1/2 lime over the ice with a shake or two of salt........awesome......makes good beer piss too......lol

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Get a six-pac of Modelo. Poor one over ice, squeeze 1/2 lime over the ice with a shake or two of salt........awesome......makes good beer piss too......lol

I'll try that sometime. I'm actually as I write this having my Northern Hemisphere Summer beer in a frosty glass and it's just delicious. My last one was my Southern Hemisphere Summer beer 6 months ago in Sydney.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I am all about Abita's Andygator.

High-gravity brew, Dopplebock. A light fruity aroma. Good for drinking with shots or with a meal.
Reasonably priced and easy to find in the local package and grocery stores.
High alcohol content, clocking in around 8%.

It's a current favorite of mine.

I'd also suggest Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter. A seasonal brew I might stock up on before it's off the market.

I absolutely LOVE beer, but I'm celiac, so I can't have it anymore. Most of the gluten free beers I have tried are absolutely revolting except for one called Daura Damm from Spain. Militant celiacs (as I like to call them) scream that it's not GF because barley malt is added and then the gluten is extracted after leaving behind the taste that makes beer beer! I don't care though. It's the closest thing I have tasted to real beer, and doesn't make me feel sick after drinking it. Even my non celiac beer drinking friends like the taste of it.

http://dauradamm.com/en/#daura-the-gluten-free-beer

Last edited by a moderator:

SparrowHawk09

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Gardner Centre (Massachusetts, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Love Beer! When going out for lunch I'll usually have a ipa, blue moon if I'm not somewhere were they brew their own beer. I like frequenting my local brewerys and trying out new beers. I'm also a big fan of stouts. A nice milk stout always hits the spot.

sizehungry

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Stinking hot day , sweat pissing out of me , feeling like my eyeballs are going to melt , ground so hot , even the dead want to go for a swim , and then , a fucking miracle . Right before my eyes , in living color , is a pub . In I go , and order a beer . It is so cold that there are water droplets on the outside of the glass . I have had countless beers in the course of my life , but , this one is close to the best . So good in fact , that i order another , but that's it . Learned a long time ago , that too many on a hot day just fucks me up . That said , those two were perfect .

Stinking hot day , sweat pissing out of me , feeling like my eyeballs are going to melt , ground so hot , even the dead want to go for a swim , and then , a fucking miracle . Right before my eyes , in living color , is a pub . In I go , and order a beer . It is so cold that there are water droplets on the outside of the glass . I have had countless beers in the course of my life , but , this one is close to the best . So good in fact , that i order another , but that's it . Learned a long time ago , that too many on a hot day just fucks me up . That said , those two were perfect .

I loved VB when I lived in Oz! Great beer! I also liked XXXX. I went on a tour of the brewery. Another one called Tooweys (I think that was it) was also quite good. I loved Australian beer. There is nothing like a cold beer on a stinking hot day. Like you, too many of them mess me up as well when I'm really hot.

Canada also has some amazing beers that I can't have anymore because of being celiac. Most people outside of Canada think of Molson's and Labatt's when they think of Canadian beer, but they were least my favorite beers. Sleeman makes awesome beer, but there are also many other excellent Canadian beers produced by independent breweries.

Reactions: sizehungry