"Behavior psychology?"

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by lafever, Feb 18, 2008.

1. lafever

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not to be confused with "Differential Psychology", which is for beginners.
    The science known in ancient usage, "The science of the soul."
    chris

2. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

What's your point?

3. ninepointfive

ninepointfive New Member

Skinner boxes are like totally bogus.

4. simcha

Gold Member

What?

5. vxie

vxie Member

Or my personal fav social psychology, not to be confused with sociology.

6. vxie

vxie Member

... and i find that a biopsychosocial approach is the best application of psychological principles in the modern world.

7. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

Yes but only from an existentialist point of view.

8. dong20

Gold Member

Not to be confused with differential backups, which is of course, the science of file recovery.

9. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

*groans*

*looks for something to throw at dong*

10. dong20

Gold Member

Blame SLB, he got me on the whole files theme. But I'm over it now.

** DUCKS just in case **

11. snoozan

Gold Member

12. B_dumbcow

B_dumbcow New Member

Albums:
    That just flew over my head and never returned...

13. simcha

Gold Member

And that should never be confused with a differential equation which is a mathematical equatios for an unknown function of one or several variables that relates the values of the function itself and of its derivatives of various orders. :biggrin1:

14. snoozan

Gold Member

None of which should be confused with differential diagonosis, the determination of which of two or more diseases with similar symptoms is the one from which a patient is suffering based on an analysis of the clinical data. Schizophrenia? Bipolar Disorder? Some sort of personality disorder? Only your psychiatrist will ever know for sure (maybe).

15. simcha

Gold Member

And there is no medical treatment for personality disorders at this time. Many psychotherapists won't work with people suffering from personality disorders because they are extremely challenging cases. Personally, I like the challenge. If you are diagnosed with a personality disorder by a psychiatrist, most likely, you will be referred out.

16. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

What about orgone boxes?

17. JustAsking

Gold Member

And not to be confused with a Differential Amplifier, which is a device which amplifies the difference between signals on its two inputs.

Or don't confuse it with a Differencing Engine, which is the first successful mechanical computer built by Charles Babbage.

Orgone Energy? I haven't heard that term in a long time. Time to build tin-foil pyramid Orgone Energy accumulators.

18. Principessa

Gold Member

Behavioral Psychology (behavioral approach): The behavioral approach was founded by John B. Watson and originally rejected the study of mental processes in favor of the study of overt behavior (observable behavior) and external factors – study of observable events. The behaviorists believed all behavior was determined by stimuli in the environment. Today, this approach still stresses the importance of the environment on behavior, but also allows for inclusion of cognitive processes and feelings (early behaviorists rejected cognition in the study of behavior).

What happend to first do no harm? It often takes years for an experienced professional to come up with a personality disorder as the correct diagnosis. At this point the patient feels a repore with the therapist and is hesitant to leave and have to start all over again.

19. simcha

Gold Member

Look NJQT, I agree with you. I just wanted to point out that many clinicians have a bias against clients who manifest an Axis II diagnosis. There is a school of thought that people with personality disorders are untreatable and therefore don't benefit from psychotherapy or medical treatment.

I think that's wrong. I treat people who manifest Axis II on a daily basis. Much of it is about learning to cope with the symptoms of Axis II and to help the person to be more functional in his or her life. And using DBT and even CBT is a great help for clients who experience Axis II. I even use some depth psychology with my clients who would be considered to manifest personality disorders. And that's considered heresy in some parts.

20. snoozan

Gold Member

Lately I've seen where Axis II disgnoses are being treated by psychologists and they are beginning to see that there's some biological basis to many of them. Medication is being used successfully to treat even Borderline Personality Disorder, which is a good thing. I have an Axis II and CBT has helped, as has just learning to live with it and use it to my advantage when I can. I don't think people with personality disorders are a lost cause, and I'm glad a lot of professionals are starting to see it that way. I think because some medications have been shown to ameliorate some symptoms of some personality disorders that the mental health profession is starting to see them as treatable.

Draft saved Draft deleted