Being beautiful/ugly

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I read an article recently about a national poll, about how people respond to beautiful people vs. ugly or not so good looking people. The article said that good looking people are treated better, I find this hard to believe, what do y'all think?
I find it hard to believe you were valedictorian and don't already know this. :confused:

I just do not see in the scheme of things why it matters what a person looks like.
:rofl:
My God what a silly twat you are. That's because you are good looking, smart, and come from a wealthy family. The world is your oyster. If you fail in life it will be because that was your desire and you fucked up.

Arthur Miller was married to Marilyn Monroe.
I would hate to be judged by the way I look.
Too late, you already are judged by the way you look. It started the day you were born. It's not just Americans either, this happens the world over.

pavement

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Good question Landon. Maybe that should be its own thread. Anyone here able to figure out or track down the classical standard of beauty accoring to the Greeks? When has anyone seen a greek statue with a less than arrow straight nose, perfect shoulders (man or woman), large eyes nicely set apart but not too wide apart? Thin waist, nicely defined legs and ass -

For they gazed into the still waters and so overwhelming was their beauty that the could not bear it anymore and disappeared into the very essence of all that is beauty

I would say that Mercurial Bliss probably qualifies for that description.

I'm loathe to ever talk about who is or isn't beautiful on this site. However, since you broached the subject, I must say in complete truthfulness that when Landon asked the question, she was the person I thought of immediately.

Which is NOT to say that LPSG is not loaded with attractive people. It is. Certainly more so than most internet chat sites. MB is also the only woman here whom I have seen in professional photographs.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm loathe to ever talk about who is or isn't beautiful on this site. However, since you broached the subject, I must say in complete truthfulness that when Landon asked the question, she was the person I thought of immediately.

Which is NOT to say that LPSG is not loaded with attractive people. It is. Certainly more so than most internet chat sites. MB is also the only woman here whom I have seen in professional photographs.

Well absolutely. What we find attractive or even riveting is set by so many things. But if we are going by the criteria that was previously mentioned she was the first person here that I could think of that fit the description. But I am sure there are others as well I just dont spend too much time in the galleries.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Good looking people are treated better. I work in retail I can say this from personal experience. People who look good and respond with a nice smile get better treatment. Elderly people as well.[/quote]

It's true! My white friends used to marvel at my ability to get a taxi, in NYC, in the rain. :biggrin1: God gives everyone a gift, apparently mine is being good looking enough to hail cabs, but not enough to win beauty contests. :lmao:

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
This page explains how the proportions of the Golden Mean, which is found in everything the spirals of galaxies to the whorls of sunflower seeds, is applied to human beauty.

1.618 is the key to the natural world. It is replicated again and again all throughout nature. Humans apply it all the time, consciously and subconsciously, and have across all races and cultures. Architects use it constantly to make the proportions of buildings, "look right," to the eye.

Unfortunately... this is simply not true.

MOST applications of the golden section to ancient art have been imposed after the fact by people LOOKING to find correlation's that have no basis in the actual work.

The golden section is closely related to the fibonacci sequence, which is a numerical relation that shows up again and again in the natural world for one simple reason....
It is the lowest irrational number greater than one.

Irrational means it is non-repeating and infinite, like Pi. Only the golden ratio is referred to as Phi.

It turns out that if a plant wants to maximize the sunlight captured by its leaves, it has to space it leaves in a way that is non repeatingly randomized.
Thru natural selection, therefore, the genes of certain plants have come upon the golden ratio as the most efficient possible formula for spacing their leaves.

However... folks who want to believe in stuff more than anything have siezed upon this idea that this number appears in nature to "assign" this number, retroactively, to everything from the pyramids to human beauty.

And it simply isn't there.

For a great in depth study and analysis of the history of Phi, its discovery, and how it really relates to the natural world, I recommend Mario Livio's book:
Amazon.com: The Golden Ratio: The Story of PHI, the World's Most Astonishing Number: Mario Livio: Books

OCMuscleJock

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Go get you one, Landon. Seduce you a great big, muscle jock...to fulfill all of your fantasies:tongue: You've got it in you. We believe in you!

Landon... never underestimate the power of a thin blond guy :) I was thinner than you and had my share of big guys. :) And I think you're a hottie..so umm...come on over. :)

This was me 4.5 yrs ago :)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2i6ypuv.jpg

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I know I have a Hedy fetish but she has been called the most beautiful woman of the 20th century.

Here's an interesting note for anyone with a hedy fetish.

She invented the transmission method used by cell phones.

That's right... during WWII Hedy was co-patent holder of the transmission protocols that used packet transmission to break up signals on multiple frequencies and re-assemble the original messages in the receiver. Multiply redundant and hard to intercept... this basic idea is the foundation of cell phone transmission technology.

Hedy Lamarr.
Beautiful... and wicked smart, too.
My kinda gal.

Hey Jason, any more pictures where that one came from?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
hahahaha :rofl:

What is a spread spectrum?
Spread-spectrumtechniques are methods by which energy generated in a particular bandwidth is deliberately spread in the frequency domain, resulting in a signal with a wider bandwidth. These techniques are used for a variety of reasons, including the establishment of secure communications, increasing resistance to natural interference and jamming, and to prevent detection

Yeah, that makes it clear as mud for me too. :tongue:

D

deleted213967

The (reasonably methodical) studies conducted in the (US) workplace indeed point to that "slant". People perceived as physically attractive by most of the general public will receive a better treatment.

What else is new?

The whole site is dedicated to the worhsip of dick size, which is the result of mere genetic luck.

So the customary, contrived PC outrage seems to be particularly hypocrite in this forum.

bbristow

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's about the best summary I've heard. Also belongs in a book of great quotations.
:smile:

really? i just got that from an episode in the final season of Buffy, hahaha. that was when Buffy wants to fight The First right now with the potential slayers, and they revolted against her. i'm such a geek.

Anya: (to Buffy) You really do think you're better than we are...but we don't know. We don't know if you're actually better. You came into the world with certain advantages, sure. I mean, that's the legacy. But you didn't earn it. You didn't work for it. You've never had anybody come up to you and say that you deserve these things more than anyone else. They were just handed to you. So that doesn't make you better than us. It makes you luckier than us.

hehe. just wanted to share.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Earl, every once in a while I'll read something on this site that hits my funny bone...and your line about how most beatiful people become "pharmaceutical sales reps" is totally killer. I know exactly what you mean...you just never meet an ugly person pushing pharmaceuticals!

Too funny!

Hey those doctors like perky young tits just like the rest of us. Thimbots....sell....sell....sell!

solexes

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
My response is this....in HS I was one skinny ugly little geek. Years of being beat against the rocks of reality caused a personality change - and with it - grooming style. I am MUCH better looking now than I was 10 years ago - heck I look way better now. *Shrug*.

I think it has to do with how you present yourself - ugly people usually aren't - but they portray themselves as such because of low self esteem - and you end up with an ugly person - in and out.

Besides - I judge people on their accomplishments rather than looks - especially since I remember the gorgeous boys wanting to beat me up in HS....lol

elgrande

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
This is a great thread. This is a matter I constantly think about, and it's great to have input from someone other than my close friends.

Here's the thing: I was born and have lived my whole life in Venezuela, the country that holds the Guinness World Record for the most international beauty pageants won; we're also the country with the second highest rate of plastic surgery per capita (that is, the amount of surgeries performed yearly divided by the country's total population), surpassed only by our southern neighbor Brazil, and we Venezuelans are the people who 'invest' (i.e. spend) the most on cosmetics, beauty products and treatmets in the whole world.

That being said, I was never considered too attractive. Not ugly either, but just average, and in a place like I just described, well, that's not such a good thing. However, in the last two and a half years, since I started College, I began taking swimming seriously and dumped my glasses for contacts so I could finally start my orthodontic treatment because I didn't want to wear glasses and braces at the same time (keep in mind that Colombia, our western neighbor, created "Ugly Betty" around the time I was in 8th grade, and it was a huge hit here too). Now I see a difference. I get way more stares and compliments and people even pay more attention when I talk or, say, ask for something in a groceries store or at the movies or SubWay.

Sometimes I feel bad or even a little hypocritical when I look directly into a beautiful girl's eyes when she talks to me, and then a second later some other girl who's not so, let's say... gracious, approaches me, and I don't, but what can I say? I have been on both sides, and I call tell that there's a big difference, but I think that it goes a bit deeper than our seemingly national superficiality. It's more of a Darwinian evolutionary thing, and it's been going on since the very beginning and probably will never stop, but I admit that it's unfair and sometimes downright sad.

SandraSmithCarver

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
This is a great thread. This is matter I constantly think about, and it's great to have input from someone other than my close friends.

Here's the thing: I was born and have lived my whole life in Venezuela, the country that holds the Guinness World Record for the most international beauty pageants won; we're also the country with the second highest rate of plastic surgery per capita (that is, the amount of surgeries performed yearly divided by the country's total population), surpassed only by our southern neighbor Brazil, and we Venezuelans are the people who 'invest' (i.e. spend) the most on cosmetics, beauty products and treatmets in the whole world.

That being said, I was never considered too attractive. Not ugly either, but just average, and in a place like I just described, well, that's not such a good thing. However, in the last two years and a half years, since I started College, I began taking swimming seriously and dumped my glasses for contacts so I could finally start my orthodontic treatment because I didn't want to wear glasses and braces at the same time (keep in mind that Colombia, our western neighbor, created "Ugly Betty" around the time I was in 8th grade, and it was a huge hit here too). Now I see a difference. I get way more stares and compliments and people even pay more attention when I talk or, say, ask for something in a groceries store or the movies or SubWay.

Sometimes I feel bad or even a little hypocritical when I look directly into a beautiful girl's eyes when she talks to me, and then a second later some other girl who's not so, let's say... gracious, approaches me, and I don't, but what can I say? I have been on both sides, and I call tell that there's a big difference, but I think that it goes a bit deeper than our seemingly national superficiality. It's more of a Darwinian evolutionary thing, and it's been going on since the very beginning and probably will never stop, but I admit that it's unfair and sometimes downright sad.

you might be right, there is something to it, Life isnt fair at all. I have over 50 cousins on my mothers side, not one of them, is unattractive at all. I guess we are blessed in that way, but on the other hand, no one is rich either! Honestly, I'd rather be rich, and I could always pay to make myself beauiful :tongue: