Being Gay in the NBA

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Of course it would have to be a scrub and not a star player, ha ha. And a guy already out of the league, no surprise there. But seriously, hats off to Amaechi, somebody had to be the one to pop the cherry. I liked how he talked about it too, he was matter-of-fact about it, not dramatic or sensationalist. His rap was "yeah, I can see how this might be a big deal to people. They're not used to thinking of people like NBA athletes as gay."

OmahaBeef

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know a (former) NBA player who is also gay. I can confirm he is 100% gay but I don't think he's come out yet...

...OB

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Imagine how many young men and women would not use drugs or jump off cliffs if they knew their sporrts heroes were gay like them?

Atheletes are very important in this regard.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Imagine how many young men and women would not use drugs or jump off cliffs if they knew their sporrts heroes were gay like them?

Atheletes are very important in this regard.
The best thing here is that each time a well known person--in sports, politics or theater/movies or music steps forwward it opens up the road of freedom for millions who are still hiding and scared.

mattleblanc75

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
When I travelled Australia several years ago a really hot guy, Very attractive tall and muscled came in the local bar I used to frequent. It was a straight bar In a suburb of Sydney and it attracted a great mix of folk from locals to backpackers to minor celebrities.
The Guy started talking to me and was only interested in what I was saying.He bought me a drink and never once mentioned his profession other than to say it was sports based. To cut the story short and to get to the point, He asked if I wanted to go on to another bar with him which I stupidly declined.This was because I was waiting for some friends to arrive who I'd arranged to meet.
After the hot guy left, a member of bar staff approached me to ask if I knew who I'd been talking to. I said I didn't,- which I really didn't. It turned out the guy Who'd chatted me up was a major Australian Rugby player Called Ian Roberts who was openly gay.
I kind of had hoped the guy was gay when I was talking to him but it seemed too good to be true especially when he invited me to another bar with him.
It just goes to show though, that some people who you least expect to be gay turn out to be just that.
I have looked Ian Roberts Up on the internet from time to time and I have to say I'll cherish the memory of meeting him and honor his courage to come out as a famous sportsman. Thumbs up to the guy.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
From a Buddy's profile on BMB:

ed said:
Sports & Homosexuals

The National Tennis Center in the U.S. was renamed after a homosexual..Billie Jean King..Hell Yeah! There are openly homosexual women currently playing professional sports in the U.S. and around the world. Some of these women are the best in the world in their sport.

What about the men???? It seems they wait until after they retire before they "come out". Are these closeted men afraid or scared of what will happen if they disclose their sexual orientation to the media/world? Probably.

We are taught at an early age by society that being homosexual man is feminine,immoral,weak,wrong,etc..That a homosexual man is a "fag","fairy","queer" and my all-time favorite,"BUTT PIRATE"..lol. These homophobic,narrow-minded people never met any homosexual NFL players..lol. It is sad for society as whole that women can be open about sexual orientation but the men can not.

The closeted men in professional sports don't realize the impact "coming out" would have on society if they decided to be open and honest with their sexual orientation. Just think of all the young homosexuals' lives would change if they knew some their heroes were gay.

So true.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I know a (former) NBA player who is also gay. I can confirm he is 100% gay but I don't think he's come out yet...

...OB

Man, I am dying to know!!! I also know of a few guys supposedly on the DL. There are a lot of New Jersey Nets rumors out there right now ...

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Man, I am dying to know!!! I also know of a few guys supposedly on the DL. There are a lot of New Jersey Nets rumors out there right now ...

John Amaechi was a guest on Real World with Bill Maher last night and what a nice guy he seemed to be. Bill asked him about parts of his book one in particular was the lockeroom being 'a hot bed of homosexuality'. He went on to describe how there were players there who were 'painting their toenails' and 'tweezing their eyebrows' and all types of preening going on.. struting ect. He said he would sit there and think to himself... 'I though I was the gay guy here'
On the other hand, it was refreshing to see a sports figure being able to carry on an intelligent interview and not be so full of himself.