Being Harrassed Through IMs...

HungTeenStud

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OK, I'm mostly a lurker on here, I posted a couple times on the old board, but not this one. I'm posting today because some members on here won't stop messagine me through Yahoo Messenger even after I ask them to stop. I'm not sure I want to name names, but I want it to end. Does anyone have any suggestions? I usually try and take the higher road by ignoring people that are annoying me, but that has not worked. I guess the next step may be to get a moderator involved?

yaoifun

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by HungTeenStud@Feb 26 2005, 02:10 PM
OK, I'm mostly a lurker on here, I posted a couple times on the old board, but not this one. I'm posting today because some members on here won't stop messagine me through Yahoo Messenger even after I ask them to stop. I'm not sure I want to name names, but I want it to end. Does anyone have any suggestions? I usually try and take the higher road by ignoring people that are annoying me, but that has not worked. I guess the next step may be to get a moderator involved?
[post=286634]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm sorry that must suck! That's exactly why I dont have my AIM s/n posted in my profile, and I've only told a couple of people here what it is. Well, there are a few options. One would be to get a new screen name and dont post what is in your profile. Another would be to block the people as they IM you so they can't, or set yourself to invisible so they cant see your on unless you IM them, and even then they still cant see your on. If neither of those work, notify Mark, maybe he could do something. Good Luck!

Ineligible

1st Like
Media
In Yahoo Messenger, go to Messenger on the menu bar, Preferences, Ignore List, and add their names, and they won't be able to trouble you. All messengers have some way of adding people to an ignore list.

HungTeenStud

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks guys. I'll try adding him to ignore. He's IMed me from a few screen names, so I dunno how well it will work. Some guys just don't get it when I say I'm straight for some reason...

yaoifun

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by HungTeenStud@Feb 27 2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks guys. I'll try adding him to ignore. He's IMed me from a few screen names, so I dunno how well it will work. Some guys just don't get it when I say I'm straight for some reason...
[post=286922]Quoted post[/post]​

The solution to that would be to set it to "ignore anyone NOT on your buddy list" or something like that. or have it prompt you to accept the IMs or something. Either way they will give up eventually. If they don't they should be locked up in the Happy Home.

B_HungSpermBoy

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by HungTeenStud@Feb 26 2005, 01:10 PM

Hey,bud, I know what you mean. I got a few messages from guys here who were just pissed at me because I didn't want to talk with them. It'll pass with some time. At least that's what's happened with me. Ignore them,man. It does work.

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Note to my fellow homos here. Leave the straight guys alone when its apparent they aren't interested. Its not too much to ask. Its called being polite.

Would you want a lady to harass you via IM if you weren't into it?

barney:
Originally posted by HungTeenStud@Feb 26 2005, 06:10 PM

Getting large numbers of random messages from random people is a real problem and the only solution I can think of is to go invisible and get your friends to message you regardless. If you're there then you can reply.

Your post yesterday though implies that you're having trouble from one or two specific people from this forum, so here's a top tip from the real world of human interplay:

If you ignore someone - and by that I mean truly ignore them just as though they're not even there, let alone addressing you - then I absolutely guarantee that they'll go away. To ignore someone in this way is actually quite a difficult thing to do and contradicts human nature, but if you can carry it off I promise you that unless you're dealing with someone who's mentally unsound you won't have his company for long.

B_JohnTheHorse

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah I got a guy on here who has repeatedly IM'd me on Yahoo asking to cam and c2c etc. I generally don't do cam...I don't own one and the 'format' doesn't do anything for me. I politely told him that I wasn't interested and he seemingly was ok with that. On the other hand, I do show my Yahoo handle in my profile here and I have received and sent messages here and like to think I can keep doing so.

I guess if I ever were to bug someone and they asked me to not IM them, I'd respect that. I like hearing from people though.

JTH

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I usually flatline (i.e. quit responding to IMs) in a conversation if one or more of the following happen -- some charges more serious than others:
* user has no profile or incomplete profile with no information
* user is under the age of 18
* user cannot or will not explain how he got my YIM name
* user immediately asks for a cam request without any primer
* user does not respond in a timely fashion
* user gets caught lying about their identity
* user engages in harrassment (e.g. repeated unsolicitied IMs, nonsensical messages, aggressively toned messages or insults, defamatory speech, spam, constant unmet requests for x-rated photos or materials)

In some situations, like the age thing, I politely explain that I'm not comfortable chatting with anyone under the age of legal maturity -- no complaints, usually. Or if you're caught in a lie, I just frown and back away out of the conversation.

As for the rest, sometimes it's just easier to quit responding and let them eventually tire of trying. Sure, it's not direct or explicit, but people can only talk to themselves for so long. I keep my communication open because I like hearing from people, especially people that have caught my attention on the board, made really good points in threads, or that we have some kind of similar background somehow with which to relate to each other. And I don't mind talking to anybody until you give me a reason to do otherwise, y'know.

I think being in a group like this, you know that people have cams -- and since I enjoy it a fair amount, I try to be a little more sensitive about how I'm coming across (demanding or fair) so that I can ask for that same respect out of people.

yaoifun

Just Browsing
Media
Like I said, I keep my AIM identity hidden, in fact only a select couple of people have my AIM name, and well my Yahoo one is common knowledge, but if I were to get harassed I would just ignore them :p