Being hung with a mental illness

Smooth88

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
They have no connection with each other. But do you think it affects your ability to attract other people, have sex, form relationships etc?

By the way... I'm bipolar and I think yes.

Gab_Stone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you are asking if people who are well hung and have mental illness are more likely to be succefull in those areas than people who are less hung with a mental illness, then i think the answer is no. You may get laid a little more, but not likely. It comes down to personality and mental, psychological ability in the end

ratandmouse

Just Browsing
Media
if you want an academic response the answer is unfortunately a big yes - most people with bi-polar ADHD, depressive stuff all have a harder time keeping relationship, getting relationships, meeting up with the wrong people etc. (Thsi is not going to get into perosnaility disorders etc. more complicated) Trick being to find someone who has some understanding of this - you are in the well hung dept obviously and that makes you that extra bit attractive - but then all you can do is keep your wits about you - and also make sensible choices yourself. Being hung doesnt mean being dumb as all here know - but if you have bi-polar you can give off the wrong signals - and get the wrong signals - either way it can get messy - but then dont worry too much - remember by and large people are good - and if you are honest about bi-polar then its better - nothing to be ashamed of....nice cock as well....

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I'll speak from a female perspective and personality disorders. For me I've gotten many different lovers in and out because I cannot form bonds I don't date and that allows me to keep my list fresh.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think often if the person's disorder is not under control with therapy or medication then yes. But it doesnt have to be. I think it might make things a bit problematic but then we deal with unmedicated and undiagnosed people all day long and may not know it. I think there is an added stigma to having a mental illness. People often are looking for things to hang behavior on which is unfortunate because it isnt the person's fault and often they can live fully functional productive lives if treated.

There is a wonderful book that addresses just this issue called, "Loving madly, Loving Sanely" It really was helpful for me.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Being prone to depression I can state that being depressed is a killer when it comes to supporting and discussing your relations with anyone.

I keep it in mind I must inform the wife, and go out and do something.

Sitting in front of the TV with a glass of wine might feel good, but I often get depressed from that because I didn't do anything...

Small accomplishments add up.

Slight verbal twistyness with the OP's thread name. Well hung with a mental illness? Just hung up with one is effort enough.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'll speak from a female perspective and personality disorders. For me I've gotten many different lovers in and out because I cannot form bonds I don't date and that allows me to keep my list fresh.

a lack of clarifying syntax and general run on sentence feel and the ...like that?

Are you talking about have one relationship run into another so frequently, that the feelings become a blur?

No, in this case, her diagnosis makes it difficult for her to form close emotional bonds with people. She is beautiful and enigmatic so she has no trouble attracting lovers . . . when she leaves the house. It is difficult for her to do the work required to maintain a relationship so she often ends up pushing lovers away. Hence the ability to have many lovers and keep her list fresh.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I 'll speak from a female perspective and personality disorders. For me I've gotten many different lovers in and out because I cannot form bonds; I don't date and that allows me to keep my list fresh.
No, in this case, her diagnosis makes it difficult for her to form close emotional bonds with people. She is beautiful and enigmatic so she has no trouble attracting lovers . . . when she leaves the house. It is difficult for her to do the work required to maintain a relationship so she often ends up pushing lovers away. Hence the ability to have many lovers and keep her list fresh.

I don't form emotional bonds at all so people are of no significance to me. When I go out I usually have men doggying on me so there is always fresh meat to sample. I don't understand the complex in relationships so I plain stay away from them and the topic, when a boy gets close I'll remove him from my life.. and then there is always more waiting for me. So because of a mental illness that doesn't allow me to bond with people I have many opportunities for sex.. it is more a question of my own wants.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
Well, I don't know if Aspergers is a mental illness per-say, but I just don't get into very many relationships period. I'm more the strong-protective silent type. Oddly, women (around here at least) don't like that. Relationships are hard for me. I can barely remember what I'm supposed to do day-to-day, even then I have to write it down on my pda or something. But sex for me, especially with a woman, is an experience every time. Every time I learn something about her. Where her pleasure spots are, where her stress is, and what I need to do to please her 100%. Its just the social part I'm not good at. They think I'm too quiet. Men on the other hand find the quiet part very attractive, but only for a short period of time. Not to mention most people don't want a LTR with a Bi- guy.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, I don't know if Aspergers is a mental illness per-say, but I just don't get into very many relationships period.
I thought it was a neurological thing because it deals with the brain and how it filters information.That's no surprise because Aspies have trouble reading facial cues and voice inflections so forming relationships is always difficult for them.

I'm more the strong-protective silent type. Oddly, women (around here at least) don't like that.
You need a change of venue then. That type of man never goes out of style. :wink:

Relationships are hard for me. I can barely remember what I'm supposed to do day-to-day, even then I have to write it down on my pda or something. But sex for me, especially with a woman, is an experience every time. Every time I learn something about her. Where her pleasure spots are, where her stress is, and what I need to do to please her 100%.
Its just the social part I'm not good at. They think I'm too quiet.
Often silence can be read by others as lack of interest. Men on the other hand find the quiet part very attractive, but only for a short period of time.

Not to mention most people don't want a LTR with a Bi- guy.
I think that issue has been addressed in a few other threads. Many 100% gay men don't want to be involved with a man who will leave them for a woman. 100% straight women definetely don't want to put their heart on the line for a man that could just as easily leave them for the next hot guy that walks by.

IMHO, there are a few bi-guys who have no clue how to be monogamous and have thus ruined it for bi-guys who can. :cool:

Smooth88

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
One of my friends has described me as unnapproachable and another says I have the "aura of a depressed person." And what makes it harder is it's very hard for me to approach and engage with other people. And It's really hard because the people in my life don't treat me with any kind of compassion so I feel very lonely a lot of the time. I feel only one of my friends would never think about deserting me honestly. Plus, my disease has destroyed friendships and relationships and I dunno who may turn on me next.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I tend to have varying degrees of depression and anxiety. What I think usually kills my relationships is my abandonment issues which are part of a personality disorder. I can be clingy which I know guys don't like. Sometimes I know when I'm doing it and can't stop myself. It's amlost like a compulsion. :redface:

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
I thought it was a neurological thing because it deals with the brain and how it filters information.That's no surprise because Aspies have trouble reading facial cues and voice inflections so forming relationships is always difficult for them.
true.. true... but isn't any mental illness neurological?

You need a change of venue then. That type of man never goes out of style. :wink:

Many 100% gay men don't want to be involved with a man who will leave them for another man. 100% straight women definetely don't want to put their heart on the line for a man that could just as easily leave them for the next hot guy that walks by.

IMHO, there are a few bi-guys who have no clue how to be monogamous and have thus ruined it for bi-guys who can. :cool:

Thats exactly the thinking... that bi men WILL leave them for someone else.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I have a dear friend from my early 20's who quickly developed full-blown bi-polar disorder and is now pretty much left as a classic schizophrenic. He's about the same age as I am. He was a brilliant student in university. But with the bi-polar and subsequent schizophrenia, his ability to concentrate sort of melted away. He has many hobbies, still lives with his parents, and when he is responsible about taking his meds on a regular basis he's almost normal. But he'll never be able to live on his own.

I visit him frequently (at least once a month) and we sit in his family's backyard garden swing with me basically holding, showering him with heart-felt affection as we swing for hours in that canopy swing. These are always good times. His biggest complaint is not that his youth has passed him completely by and now he finds him in his 50's. He's pissed because his meds interfere with being able to get it up and enjoy sex. He's still very good looking and if he could get it up, I'd be the first to offer myself to him for a long passionate session of love-making. But he's seriously resigned to the fact that he'll probably never be able to get it up as long as he follows his meds regimen. There are many people, men and women, in this situation. Best course of action is to be their friend and genuinely care for their well-being.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
true.. true... but isn't any mental illness neurological?
Some say it is but others disagree. I disagree. Some neurological disorders may cause depression or anxiety which are mental health issues. However, I have never heard of depression causing a neurological impairment.

You're welcome.

Thats exactly the thinking... that bi men WILL leave them for someone else.
Oops that was a typo! :redface: The truth of course is that even straight men cheat on their girlfriends. I guess the thinking is that if you are bisexual you have twice as many opportunities to cheat.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
Some say it is but others disagree. I disagree. Some neurological disorders may cause depression or anxiety which are mental health issues. However, I have never heard of depression causing a neurological impairment.

Being depressed is basically a neuro-transmitter/catecholamine imbalance in the brain, eg: norepinephrine, serotonin... which over time can cause some neurotransmitters to shutdown and cause irreparable damage neurologically. I agree with most neurologists but thats my own little opinion. :)