Being hung with a mental illness

Gogiboy1

Just Browsing
Media
I have 2 Relatives(Father & Sister) that are on the HIGH END of the Bi-Polar Scale, but I myself (although NOT Bi-Polar), do have General Anxiety Disorder, and occasionally do deal with bouts of depression. In so far as what I have been told, Bi-Polar disorder, can affect peoples relationships, but if the OTHER person cares and loves you enough, they will stand by you, and show compassion, understanding and willingness to be there through your "EPISODES". I really DON'T think that the SIZE of your cock, has any bearing nor should it on your relationship ability, and if someone is only with you for the size of your meat, and is UNWILLING/UNABLE to stay with you on your bad days...then they are NOT the right person for you. I am NOT sure if you are on any, but there are SEVERAL Medications out there for your disorder, and if you are on one and it doesn't seem to be helping you...Keep trying others until you find one that does...ALSO, sometimes one may no longer be working for you, ask your Dr. to give you others to try, BUT remember, it takes a MINIMUM of 2 weeks to see results...UNLESS, you start to feel WORSE or have BAD SIDE EFFECTS within just a few days. Then STOP taking it and tell your Dr.

GOOD LUCK, & My Best!!!

G.

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Account Disabled
Media
I had to deal with PTSD, anxiety and depression in the 90s. I was a mess. Even my own wife wouldn't physically sleep with me for a while there, much less have sex with me.

Things are much better now, BTW. We can all be phoenixes rising from the ashes. (In other words, members of the Large Phoenix Support Group)

Account Disabled
Media
There is a lot of mis-information about mental illness.

Some really severe shit, like schizophrenia, with its delusions and hallucinations, may be caused by some weird chemical/biological process, although they still don't know what it is.

Meanwhile, depression, the common cold of mental illnesses, is much more common and much more fixable. The right therapy and the right meds can work wonders on depression.

My point being ... it's sorta like lumping cancer in with a broken leg. There's lots of mental illnesses that people suffer from. It's way to easy to generalize and stigmatize them all.

dickman45885

Sexy Member
Media
Bi-polar here.....meds can do so much, and can only do so much. I truthfully cannot remember the last time I felt what many call "normal", although I do have my own "normal", if that makes any sense. Relationships are a huge problem for me. I have been married 37 years.....and if I had the chance I would redo things differently. I would not marry and have kids. I have put my wife through a hell on earth and also my kids. I also have blessed one of my daughters with the same chemical imbalance I have. I take my meds and do the best I can.....

I_think_im_average_uk

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mental illness can affect any and all relationships be they sexual or not and your brain has nothing to do with your penis (or so I believe, if someone know better I am all ears).

I my self have suffered from depression for a long time (since I was like 8 and I'm now nearly 30) and I didn't know to much about the subject until the last few years.

I have never had a girlfriend and this is possible to do with my issues, I have abandonment and trust issues to many to mention and I also start to care for other people to quickly which almost always ends in me getting hurt, with very few excptions all the girls I have ever liked (sexually) no longer even want to be friends with me, or atleast they say they do and have no actual intention of being friends.

I have had all the really bad shit like hearing voices and stuff although the doctors say it is plain old depression that just got out of hand, i'm not bi-polar(manic depressive) and I don't have schizophrenia, the worst things about this is i'm still not nor will I ever be 100% sure all of it wasn't really happening.

Medication didn't work for me and in fact made things worse, I am now completely off meds and apart from being a little down (very minorly) and all the usual shit of life (things aren't going to well at the moment) i'm good.

When I say mental illness can affect all relationships it has for me, as well as not having a girlfriend things with my family are complicated because of it and I don't have to many true friends but saying that the ones I have are the best I could ever ask for, one thing that makes this more complicated is I know all my problems etc and i'm quite an open and honest person but when I tell people about it for whatever reason they seem to think i'm taking the piss and ignore it as if i'm talking bullshit unless I go into every detail, that really annoy's me.

Anyway sorry for the rant just had to put my story in the mix.

Account Disabled
Media
Mental illness can affect any and all relationships be they sexual or not and your brain has nothing to do with your penis (or so I believe, if someone know better I am all ears).

I my self have suffered from depression for a long time (since I was like 8 and I'm now nearly 30) and I didn't know to much about the subject until the last few years.

I have never had a girlfriend and this is possible to do with my issues, I have abandonment and trust issues to many to mention and I also start to care for other people to quickly which almost always ends in me getting hurt, with very few excptions all the girls I have ever liked (sexually) no longer even want to be friends with me, or atleast they say they do and have no actual intention of being friends.

I have had all the really bad shit like hearing voices and stuff although the doctors say it is plain old depression that just got out of hand, i'm not bi-polar(manic depressive) and I don't have schizophrenia, the worst things about this is i'm still not nor will I ever be 100% sure all of it wasn't really happening.

Medication didn't work for me and in fact made things worse, I am now completely off meds and apart from being a little down (very minorly) and all the usual shit of life (things aren't going to well at the moment) i'm good.

When I say mental illness can affect all relationships it has for me, as well as not having a girlfriend things with my family are complicated because of it and I don't have to many true friends but saying that the ones I have are the best I could ever ask for, one thing that makes this more complicated is I know all my problems etc and i'm quite an open and honest person but when I tell people about it for whatever reason they seem to think i'm taking the piss and ignore it as if i'm talking bullshit unless I go into every detail, that really annoy's me.

no apologies necessary -- someone else may read your truth & identify with it & and feel like they're not so alone

reecho

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
UK treatment for mental illness is abysmal; it's little better than when the Victorians shut people in the madhouse.

My best friend endured years of counselling, with no assistance, random meds, a matter of going in to see the doctor, the doctor writes a prescription and that's that.

When he finally got a 'proper' counsellor, their parting shot was that he was gay! Erm, no, he isn't, but the psychologist thought this was the 'root of his problems'.

Bloody cavemen when it comes to the NHS and mental illness here. My heart goes out to you!

Supersized

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
IF you are managing your illness and it is in remission, there shouldnt be any problems. Maybe you are balming your inability to find a relationship on your illness.

I_think_im_average_uk

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
IF you are managing your illness and it is in remission, there shouldnt be any problems. Maybe you are balming your inability to find a relationship on your illness.

Yes and no, my main problem with regards relationships (of anytype) is trust, due to alot of things in my life I find it nearly impossible to trust anyone, even worse with women.

That isn't strictly to do with my illness but has to do with the reasons for my illness, if that makes sense.

Is this an excuss? possible but when I do start to trust people they tend to shit on me, the ones that don't are my true friends and unfortunatly the women in that catagory are all married or in serious relationships and I also don't view them in a sexual way.

For me now my trust has to be earned and no one seems willing to earn it.

Smooth88

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

I can pretty much relate since I've been dealing with bipolar disorder since I was 12 pretty much. And after doing some research and looking back I may have suffered from mild autism as a child. I've only had one girlfriend (who suffered from abandonment issues and depression) and I don't have any affection at all in my life right now.

It gets hard because while my friends are great they always complain about me talking about the same things all of the time and are always trying to correct me and some way and they sometimes make me feel inadequate and guilty for feeling the way I feel but alas. Affection and positivity can go a long way in my book.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I will say that (I think) I have abandonment issues also...although it is slightly complex and I don't know if that's a correct 'diagnosis'.

I have a problem whereby I have sex with girls and I enjoy it but I don't have an emotional attachment. I actually said to my gf last night that 'it is basically just sex.' Which I think it is...I mean I don't talk to her - or anyone - and she doesn't know anything about me so what's there to get attached to besides the sex? Anyway, she "whooped" on me when I said that (lol).

I suppose related to that is my social ineptness; saying the wrong thing/not knowing what to say. I also realised that having not spoken (intimately) with anyone for a very long time, I struggle to find words when speaking. I really don't say much though.

I think really it all boils down to me not feeling...like I really exist. Which sounds strange but there are parts of my identity that are missing, or false and so I don't feel like a whole person. I feel like I'm only half a person and when I'm in a relationship, my partner is only getting 'half' a relationship: the physical side.

I don't have any problems with trust but then I think I avoid getting attached/to the stage of 'trusting/not trusting' for that reason...I think everyone will lie to me? Or I think they'll leave me? I don't know.

So I may be "hung" but its not all cakes and pies.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
P,YOu have had some pretty ugly experiences so there is little wonder that you may have been affected by them.
I will say that (I think) I have abandonment issues also...although it is slightly complex and I don't know if that's a correct 'diagnosis'.

I have a problem whereby I have sex with girls and I enjoy it but I don't have an emotional attachment. I actually said to my gf last night that 'it is basically just sex.' Which I think it is...I mean I don't talk to her - or anyone - and she doesn't know anything about me so what's there to get attached to besides the sex? Anyway, she "whooped" on me when I said that (lol).

I suppose related to that is my social ineptness; saying the wrong thing/not knowing what to say. I also realised that having not spoken (intimately) with anyone for a very long time, I struggle to find words when speaking. I really don't say much though.

I think really it all boils down to me not feeling...like I really exist. Which sounds strange but there are parts of my identity that are missing, or false and so I don't feel like a whole person. I feel like I'm only half a person and when I'm in a relationship, my partner is only getting 'half' a relationship: the physical side.

I don't have any problems with trust but then I think I avoid getting attached/to the stage of 'trusting/not trusting' for that reason...I think everyone will lie to me? Or I think they'll leave me? I don't know.

So I may be "hung" but its not all cakes and pies.

Smooth88

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My experiences have left me with a lot of personal holes and voids in my life. I'm just trying to figure those out and fill them if I can. Everything I do for the next 10 years or so is part of the healing process. Even sex is part of the healing process.

B_625girth

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
smooth88, do you take your medication, and does it work for you??? side effects??? limp noodle from meds??? I briefly worked with a guy who would not take his meds because he could not get it up. he was diagnosed as bipolar with an addiction to alcohol and cocaine, and a sex addict. he was really messed up. eventually was fired, his cocaine abuse brought on the bipolar condition his mom said. she wasn't much help and did not know what to do. she enabled him at one time, but stopped that, and he threatened her several times. AND he owned several hand guns.

my neighbor is bipolar with OCD, and she is okay at times. But she stops taking her meds because she spends the money on other stuff. her husband is gone 90% of the time cuz of his job and when he is home, they both drink quite a bit, and she is wacked out for days after he is gone. she called the police on us, and we had a fence put up at the suggestion of the police. we also went down to the police station, and found that bipolar folks get a lot of the police's attention, and one Lt, had a whole file drawer full of bp folks. He said his primary job is keeping tabs on the folks in the drawer. I hope things get better for you. And I know this is insensitive, but a lot of the random violence, shootings, are caused by bipolar people. I personally live in some fear of my neighbor. I tip toe around her because I don't want to piss her off, and she has a gun. she held the police at bay for 4 hours about 10 yrs ago in a nearby town, was going to committ suicide, and then wanted the police to shoot her. I have talked to other bp people and they say they take their meds and have absolutely no problems and I would not have guessed they were bp unless they told me. I'm leaving a lot of details out about my experience with bp folks, because of the lack of time and space.

Smooth88

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
smooth88, do you take your medication, and does it work for you??? side effects??? limp noodle from meds???

I do most of the time. And I've tried. about 4-5 combinations of medication and none of them really work. And the one I'm on now shows has sexual side effects (hard time getting it up, and being anorgasmic). I don't like taking it because it is an antidepressant and antidepressants tend to make me manic. Of course there are other meds that I haven't tried so maybe one day I'll find one that works.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
I think that issue has been addressed in a few other threads. Many 100% gay men don't want to be involved with a man who will leave them for a woman. 100% straight women definetely don't want to put their heart on the line for a man that could just as easily leave them for the next hot guy that walks by. [/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

IMHO, there are a few bi-guys who have no clue how to be monogamous and have thus ruined it for bi-guys who can. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Well, my wife and I are bisexual--been married a while... I did notice a lot of hostility in my area about dating men while I was married (wife didn't mind), but dropped a lot of that because the situation invited as lot of mental games and attempts at abuse. Maybe the ends of the spectrum annoy one another.

Smooth88

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well, my wife and I are bisexual--been married a while... I did notice a lot of hostility in my area about dating men while I was married (wife didn't mind), but dropped a lot of that because the situation invited as lot of mental games and attempts at abuse. Maybe the ends of the spectrum annoy one another.

I personally feel there's a ton of misunderstanding between you and your potential partners. Patience and understanding is key.