Being Overweight and Being Angry?

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Do you think there is a big correlation with being overweight and being angry? Let me explain.

I have been an either average or muscular build throughout most of my life. I started getting depressed (will explain another time-not important for this thread) and stopped going to the gym. In the last few years I have gradually put on the pounds. I probably weigh 20-25 lbs. more than I should. Now, don’t picture Jared from Subway back in the day, but a muscular guy who has a bit of a gut and chin.

So, I have found myself being increasingly angry in the field, losing friends by being extra-confrontational and being quick to call people on their BS when they are lying to me. I know that I have been overreacting quite a bit, but this is where I am right now, so that’s what’s coming out. And the troubling part is that’s it’s a snowball effect. The more friends you piss off, the angrier you get, deepening your problem.

Anyway, I finally told myself the Happy Fairy isn’t going to appear at my door and sprinkle me with Happy Dust; I have to make some changes in my life. I have felt gross carrying around this 20+ extra pounds, so I knew working out was a top priority. I finally hauled my ass to the gym today (early afternoon to beat the 5PM crowd and to not let myself make excuses for a 9PM workout). I did really well on the weights and even hopped my chunky ass on the treadmill and put in some good running/walking efforts there.

I felt very refreshed coming out of the gym and was actually in a decent mood. I was flirty/charming with a couple cashiers, running errands after working out. I know I am still chunky, 1 workout is only a start, but I felt a lot different.

After working out, are there some chemicals released in the body that put you in a better state of mind or is it the psychological feeling of physical satisfaction?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Do you think there is a big correlation with being overweight and being angry? Let me explain.

Angry? No. Depressed, yes.

I felt very refreshed coming out of the gym and was actually in a decent mood. I was flirty/charming with a couple cashiers, running errands after working out. I know I am still chunky, 1 workout is only a start, but I felt a lot different.
You had a positive endorphin rush from the exercise. :smile: That's what's supposed to happen and why therapists often prescribe exercise along with Prozac.:cool:

After working out, are there some chemicals released in the body that put you in a better state of mind or is it the psychological feeling of physical satisfaction?

It's the former not the latter. According to the Mayoclinic.com:
Just how exercise reduces symptoms of depression and anxiety isn't fully understood. Some evidence suggests that exercise raises the levels of certain mood-enhancing neurotransmitters in the brain. Exercise may also boost feel-good endorphins, release muscle tension, help you sleep better, and reduce levels of the stress hormone cortisol. It also increases body temperature, which may have calming effects. All of these changes in your mind and body can improve such symptoms as sadness, anxiety, irritability, stress, fatigue, anger, self-doubt and hopelessness.

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Thanks, NJ.

I have also been smoking a lot of weed and pigging out at night, which I know is horrible, and of course, contributing to the weight gain. The bodily effects of MJ are still debatable, but what's more burdensome is the crutch it creates for me. It allows me to sink into my own nomadic world and not go out and meet people. Truthfully speaking, it's painful to start going out again when you are rusty. You start to feel insecure about every little interaction and start to overanalyze each one.

But I guess I got to go out there and push myself to meet people, even if it "hurts" the first few times I go out. I know this continued habit of smoking weed and sinking into my own world doesn't allow me to grow (except for my belly :) ) as a person....

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think that skinny people are usually angrier. Fat people are jolly, don't you know, ho ho ho.:wink:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think that skinny people are usually angrier. Fat people are jolly, don't you know, ho ho ho.:wink:

I don't agree that fat people are jolly, that's stuff like I used to hear, but I do think that a lot of skinny people, particularly like in the fashion industry are angry.

Why? Because they're HUNGRY, dammit! :biggrin1:

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

I have been an either average or muscular build throughout most of my life. I started getting depressed (will explain another time-not important for this thread) and stopped going to the gym. In the last few years I have gradually put on the pounds.

<SNIP>

No, I don't think there's a link between being overweight and being angry. But I do think there's a link between being depressed and being overweight, and a link between depression and feelings of anger.

The lift from the gym? It's both. Exercise will release endorphins which make you feel good. Plus, I think you probably got a lift from setting yourself a goal and achieving it, and feeling that you did well at it.

I train at a gym regularly. I (and others!) do appreciate the physical benefits, but the main reason I keep it up is the beneficial effect on my mood.

Oh, a word of advice: don't make weight-loss the primary goal. That's a negative reason to train. Make fitness and activity your primary goal and the weight will sort itself out.

Well done mate, it sounds like you've reached a turning point!

Last edited:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Do you think there is a big correlation with being overweight and being angry?

"Hey! If you so much as touch Kitty's ass, I'll put firecrackers in your nut sack and blow your balls all over your pants!" -- Eric Cartman

Clear correlation there.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I agree with NJQT. Angry, no, but depressed, seriously. Back in the '90s, I was extremely fit in my early 40s - 31" waist, muscular gym body, running 20 miles per week, and mountian biking. Within 6 months, a mountain bike accident and a running injury grounded me. I could barely walk let alone run. My knee would not raise high enough to turn the crank on my bicycle. I became seriously depressed and over a period of several years, gained 90 pounds. 3 years ago, the doctor told me point blank that I had to change my ways. I cleaned up my act with eating and dropped 30 pounds in 3 months. I bought a road bike and started commuting to work. I dropped 65 pounds total, trimmed 8" from my waist, and feel great now that I'm back to regular cardio. Buying the road bike was one of the smartest things that I've done. This Saturday is the final Rosarito to Ensenada 50 mile bike ride and I'm looking to break my former times.

The bottom line: We can get fat and dumpy, but it's always within our reach to turn it around. We just have to believe in ourselves and make commitments instead of excuses.

dunno_what

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
So my 2 cents...

As a pudgy kid, I had big body image problems, was depressed, and considered suicide (as all good emo boys do). It didn't help that students made fun of me heaps, and I only had a core group of friends. Late into my adolescence though, I shot up a foot in height and I actually looked decent in retrospect. But my body image was horrendous, and was voted Moodiest in year (yes, this was a co-ed school too, yeash, lol).
So then I got injured playin soccer. It didn't help that I never changed my 'active' diet. So, here I am now. I am obese by the medical standards, and last year I was clinically diagnosed with depression, but I have gotten rid of all the body image problems due to being sexually active (this story seems weird after reading it back.

I guess what I am tryin say, is that your opinion of yourself is probably reflected in how you interact with people. I am now comfortable with being overweight and, despite my multitude of mental problems (lol), I am well-liked and I mix in many social cirlces. So, just feel better about yourself and you will feel better about others.

My 2 cents is incoherant and sucks, lol.

Working out is a HUGE stress relief for me. That high you feel when you finish a workout is from the realease of endorpohins. That "high" is what keeps me going back to the gym again and again.

I find that if I don't workout regularly I get short-tempered, easily agitated , sleep deprived and lethargic. I went through a period where I didn't workout (almost a year) and I felt awful. I was in a car accident and had chronic pain. I went back about 2 years ago and dropped 5 pant sizes and 2 shirt sizes. I have been getting lots of compliments from people which has encouraged me to continue. If you want to feel really relaxed after a workout, hit the hot tub, shower, then steam room or sauna followed by a long cool shower. That's my routine after a workout. I feel so relaxed after that nothing gets to me.

You are correct that uncontrolled anger drives people away. A guy that I used to know became that way. Angry all the time at everyone. In reality he was angry at himself. He told me this himself. He was also starting to get complaints filed against him at the gym (he was in incredible shape)and got into some trouble with the authorities for harrassing other people. A few years ago, he told me that I was the last friend he had left. Unfortunately he only got worse. He was constantly being verbally abusive, rude and insulting to me and I ended up walking away. I haven't bothered with this guy for years now. It's a shame because he was such a good guy, but he let anger take over his life. The moral of the story is this; get your anger in check or you will suffer for it.

cockoloco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
No. I don't think that being angry is linked in some way to being overweight.

What I do believe, however, is that you particularly might be are angrier and feel a little more depressed because you've put on some weight and do not feel as good/healthy/good looking as before. I do not say that it is the main reason, but in some ways you could have felt limited, conditioned, etc and you might have started developping an angrier character.

CALAMBO

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
lwd...slow down on the weed...the stuff is fun, but the let down is rough and then the munchies turn you into a fat fuck...yeah been there done that...you know what you need to do....your last papagraph is the answer...glad you figured it out in time to make a change for the better...save the riefer for sat night party...good luck to you...

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
lwd...slow down on the weed...the stuff is fun, but the let down is rough and then the munchies turn you into a fat fuck...yeah been there done that...you know what you need to do....your last papagraph is the answer...glad you figured it out in time to make a change for the better...save the riefer for sat night party...good luck to you...

Yeah, I've been smoking almost every day. It's interesting in that I don't do it during the day (self-employed) to interrupt my business endeavors, but I know it's still a crutch. I usually do it during the evening and while goofing off on the net or watching a DVD. Last night I didn't do it, which was a great thing. Let's see if I can continue that trend.

BTW, I live in So. Cal. and the ganja is just way too accessible and good!

Funny thing was that I thought I would be weezing when getting on the treadmill, but I did a solid run for someone who hasn't hit it in 6+ months.

MidwestGal

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Being heavier makes me less confident, more depressed at times, and feel awful about my self image. I don't want to be "pleasingly plump" as I have almost always had an athletic build most of my life. Health reasons are the only reason I am the size I am. I'm not able to exercise other than stretching or simple things like hand weights.

You bet as soon as I get the all clear I will be walking this weight off in months. After my son I lost 90 lbs, I gained 80 during the pregnancy (medical issues). But, I walked all of that off in 5 months!

I hope to do it again, the sooner the better. My size makes me uncomfortable.

dunno_what

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
So, does no-one agree with me in saying that the way you feel about yourself affects the way you behave with others? That feeling comfortable (or at least accepting even if you are trying to do someone about) with oneself makes you more likeable, even if it doesn't make you more physically attractive?

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Good luck to you, MW! Keep us posted....I remember seeing a picture of you in the past where you were ripped....looked fantastic!

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Thanks to all who contributed here. I think my biggest obstacle going forward is to continue the gym regimen. I have a bad habit of starting something improvement-related and then dropping it and going back to my unwanted routine....What do they call that behavior...Regression to the mean!

I'm pretty sloppy/cluttered at home. When I had more cash in the bank I had a professional organizer come to my home/office to get me in gear. I made some behavioral changes when it came to being organized.....Then my cash reserves started getting slim and I had to stop using the guy's services. Alas, I became a slob again!

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
So, does no-one agree with me in saying that the way you feel about yourself affects the way you behave with others? That feeling comfortable (or at least accepting even if you are trying to do someone about) with oneself makes you more likeable, even if it doesn't make you more physically attractive?

I completely agree. I have seen some women on this forum that I have found unattractive, and the critical me is thinking "She's getting laid!? She's butt-ugly. And why do people keep on giving her 10s on her photos; she is far from a 10!".

I know this is a very unhealthy attitude and this is my personal issue (not feeling good about myself, not getting laid, etc.) and not hers. If she's getting laid, more power to her....I have made a conscious effort not to post a vile comment under these photos because I know this is something I need to work out and not an issue with a stranger that I just don't find physically appealing.