Being Overweight and Being Angry?

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I agree with NJQT. Angry, no, but depressed, seriously. Back in the '90s, I was extremely fit in my early 40s - 31" waist, muscular gym body, running 20 miles per week, and mountian biking. Within 6 months, a mountain bike accident and a running injury grounded me. I could barely walk let alone run. My knee would not raise high enough to turn the crank on my bicycle. I became seriously depressed and over a period of several years, gained 90 pounds. 3 years ago, the doctor told me point blank that I had to change my ways. I cleaned up my act with eating and dropped 30 pounds in 3 months. I bought a road bike and started commuting to work. I dropped 65 pounds total, trimmed 8" from my waist, and feel great now that I'm back to regular cardio. Buying the road bike was one of the smartest things that I've done. This Saturday is the final Rosarito to Ensenada 50 mile bike ride and I'm looking to break my former times.

The bottom line: We can get fat and dumpy, but it's always within our reach to turn it around. We just have to believe in ourselves and make commitments instead of excuses.

Kudos to your turnaround, SD! I live in So. Cal. and you would think that being overweight is illegal here :) .

I need to get back on the biking path. I have a crap bike and need to get a quality one. Do you think I can get something halfway decent for $300-$500 or do I really need to spend a bit more? What models do you recommend? Have you linked a post here in the past referencing the best bikes to get?

Thanks!

So, does no-one agree with me in saying that the way you feel about yourself affects the way you behave with others? That feeling comfortable (or at least accepting even if you are trying to do someone about) with oneself makes you more likeable, even if it doesn't make you more physically attractive?

I agree with you. That's what I was saying about my old friend. He was angry with himself for the choices that he made in life, but he took it out on the world. It's always hard to accept personal responsibility. It's very easy to be critical and angry with everyone else though. My sister is like this as well. She makes bad decisions in life, but manages to find a way to blame everyone else when things blow up in her face. She is chronically angry at the world and it has really affected our relationship (I barely talk to or see her anymore).

When I encounter chronically angry people, I always think to myself that their life must be shit - usually I'm right. They have so many problems that they don't want to deal with that they vent their anger on others as a release rather than fixing the real problem - themselves. It doesn't matter whether it's weight issues, marriage issues, job issues. money issues, etc. Chronic anger is destructive, alienating and it totally consumes you. It must be totally exhausting to be angry all of the time, and I would imagine that the stress a person's body is under from being angry constantly must result in physical health problems and premature death. It's very easy to fall in this trap. I think that people have to figure out what it is they are TRULY angry about and deal with it. Those who don't will end up like my old friend and sister - alone and chronically angry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have felt gross carrying around this 20+ extra pounds,

First, from an 40+lb overweight person. Fuck you.

Being Overweight generally can carry depression right along with it, and with depression comes mood swings.

Being depressed also lowers your testosterone level considerably, and can make you feel even worse.

Exercising gets the blood flowing, and your body producing the chemicals it needs to operate in tip top shape....or so the theory goes.

So... Until you live with lifelong depression, and fatigue that makes you want to just die 24/7. Don't complain about 20 lbs overweight.... thats easy to burn off.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So, does no-one agree with me in saying that the way you feel about yourself affects the way you behave with others? That feeling comfortable (or at least accepting even if you are trying to do someone about) with oneself makes you more likeable, even if it doesn't make you more physically attractive?
I think that you're spot on. When I was at my peak fitness, I'd compare myself to guys who were built like a greek god and felt inferior (how stupid!). By contrast, I'm still husky and could get a little leaner, but being able to finish cycling events in a respectable time has given me a better self image. I think it's healthier psychologically to compete against ourselves and our own progress rather than trying to keep pace with a top athlete who is 1/2 our age.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Kudos to your turnaround, SD! I live in So. Cal. and you would think that being overweight is illegal here :) .
Thanks! I'm just glad that I saw the light and took action before I got diabetes or had a heart attack. There are so many fit people here that I really stood out when I was fat. One comment about the weed. I've smoked it MODERATELY since the fall of 1970. If you don't overdo it, it's okay, but if you go crazy with it, it will reduce your cardio output and make you a burn out. (How do I know that?)

I need to get back on the biking path. I have a crap bike and need to get a quality one. Do you think I can get something halfway decent for $300-$500 or do I really need to spend a bit more? What models do you recommend? Have you linked a post here in the past referencing the best bikes to get?

Thanks!
For the price range that you specified, you could get a good second hand aluminum frame road bike with Shimano 105 or Shimano Ultegra components. I watch the ads on Craigslist.org just to see what the going price is for different bikes. If you bought a new bike in that price range, it would be entry-level performance, and you'd get tired of riding it quickly. You want to get something that's going to excite you when you get on it and go. Generally, the more money that you spend, the lighter the bike will be and the better the components will be. I have a Giant fitness bike that I bought new 3 years ago for $1,100. It's part carbon fiber and part aluminum. It's been a great bike, and I really love it. 3 of the guys that I ride with have Trek carbon fiber bikes that listed for $3,300. They can eat me up going up hill. I'm saving for a Trek Madone 5.5 that lists for $4,500. You're welcome to PM me about bikes and I'll be glad to help you. I don't want to take the thread off topic.

cjc2806

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hear ya, Im 30 with diabetes, high blood pressure and battle with being overweight....I have the blood pressure down, and blood sugar is under control...Now Im taking a choloesterol pill, which , I believe I cna get my cholesterol down, it was only slightly up. ....All my other blood, and lab, numbers are great though.

I never meet anyone to hook up with, women or whatever, I live in a small town and feel stuck, like I have nothing to do, besides going back and forth to a job I really hate. Im a frustrated indivudual who empathises with those who are overweight and angry...it feels like the world goes on with out you. I was getting fitter a couple months ago, and then I had surger and had to be in active for a month, and then I stopped going to the YMCA, because the doctor said so with recovery, but it just ran out, and its too expensive to join....im going to start up again at the cheaper, but nice, gym across town....but I tell ya its hard to get motivated, even though your life and happiness depend on it....you almost get used to feeling bad about things. Im not exactly in a place where I feel inspired ....I mean ,if I were around a lot more young women ,I would feel like the numbers would help me out and I would find SOMEBODY....But I never run into a single attractive woman , or young interesting woman to even talk to, I dont know where they hide in the small town like this.

I feel if I did, then I would feel more urgency at the gym ,...or if you saw fit people running around all the time...like I visited California for awhile ,everyone was eating healthy, they were outside and doing some kind of out door stuff....I even lost 13 lbs, in 4 days out there...in my short visit, You look around you and you feel like doing stuff....like if you're at a nice university, that feels scholarly, you feel like sitting down and opening up a book ....I live in a small town in western NY state, a ways south of Buffalo, kind of a bad region for dating and meeting people , and not a good region for fitness either ,according to statistics, people who live here would even joke about it and say, jeez look at all the fat people walking around everywhere LOL...

But I hear yah!!!!!!

cjc2806

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Someone up above said that its illegal to be overweight in SoCal..HAH.. thats where I visited....it was like Palm Springs area...I would be outdoors every day if I were out there