being taken out of context

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by yngjock20, Jun 8, 2009.

1. yngjock20

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was originally going to title this "Gay men taking things out of context" but realized that most people have this ability...

Recently, there have been a couple of things I've seen on this site and in my real life that make me laugh, but at the same time make me question some people's realities.

I have a friend (who is gay) that thinks every straight man is hitting on him. He's had more defeats than successes in trying to bed them and it makes me laugh whenever he points out a man that he believes is "courting" him because they clearly aren't.

Also, I've seen a couple of threads on this site recently with gay men questioning the actions of straight men in the vain that they're doing certain things to get attention; when it seems more like the OP is slightly delusional.

Am I the only one noticing these types of instances and what do you say to someone who clearly has the wrong idea, without offending them or basically calling them bat shit crazy?

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Good topic for a thread, I have not noticed it much other than being out with people when they point these situations out. I for one need to be hit over the head with a 2X4 to notice such things...I have been out with a friend(s) and they have said "OMG that guy just cruised you within an inch of your life." If I'm with friends I tend not to pay too much attention to strangers. On the other hand a friend of mine from college told me a few years ago that he was flirting with me like crazy because he was in love (lust) with me when we were in school....Another missed opportunity...I thought we were just good friends.
    On the other hand if someone comes up behind me at a bar and grabs my ass and dick I tend to feel that they have some attraction to me!

But the point I was trying to make is I flirt with everyone...sometimes it's misunderstood..Flirting is a lost art for most.

#2 nudeyorker, Jun 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  3. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Some people see what they want to see and others are just oblivious.

4. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

You tell them that they're bat shit insane. :rolleyes:

But seriously, there's not much you can do. Just sit back and watch as they get rejected over, and over, and over again. Trying to reason with them is pointless and usually just ends up in unnecessary conflicts. Let him keep fantasizing.

5. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

Just my take on this, but I feel people generally do things to get attention, that includes so-called "straight guys". When males get wasted, we do a lot of stupid things. So do drunk girls. A gay guy may think that a straight guy is coming on to him when in reality it may just be flirting. Everybody likes to flirt. It's fun.

#5 B_Hung Jon, Jun 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  6. psidom

Gold Member

Albums:
    i usually just tell them out and out
    that they are bat shit crazy.

7. killerb

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    no, you're not alone...there's a lot (understatement) of wishful thinking going on here...
    if most of what's been reported on this board is true, one could be led to believe that there's no such thing as a straight guy who has no interest in looking at, touching, sucking, or being screwed by another guy's dick...

8. StormyB

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    In this day and age you should flirt with the people you are attracted to, well atleast until you get a clear message. Because sometimes the person may really be attracted to you, but are just really shy or "in the closet" and may pretend to not like you but secretly enjoy your flirting. But I understand your point of view, my brother is that way..he thinks every guy that looks at him wants him. One time when we were in Barnes and Noble and I was paying for somethings when my brother started saying "did you see that guy checking you out!" I was so embarrassed because he was talking so loud "my brother is out of this world" but anyway I didn't want to look at the guy but my brother kept telling me that the guy was eyeing me. I guess he thought he was whispering, but he wasn't because when I finally turned my head to look quickly the guy and I made eye contact and he quickly turned his head and his face turned really red. I know that was so humiliating for that poor mortal I just paid and quickly scampered out with my nose burried in my book "as if I was so into it" :redface:

9. Florida Boy

Gold Member

Flirting can be misunderstood. Those that are gullible will miss-take it for a come-on. “Don't pass up an opportunity.” Flirting should be done with people one feels an attraction toward to avoid these misunderstandings.

Most straight men don't know how to flirt, in the first place.

10. BiItalianBro

Gold Member

I think its just garden-variety narcissism...somewhat harmless (until they approach the wrong guy who issues a smack-down on them) but very annoying IMHO. I just try to avoid hanging out with those types since it gets old...fast.

11. heist

heist New Member

Albums:
    I don't know if "being taken out of context" is quite what you're going for -- it seems you mean something more like "misinterpreting signals."

In any case, some people are very lonely (or very desperate, depending on your view), and they probably subconsciously really want it to be true, even if it isn't. Yes, in some senses they are "bat shit crazy." But you should probably be sympathetic to some degree, especially if he "had more defeats than successes." He probably has some self-discovery to do, and it's not going to happen quickly.

Unless of course, he's being a completely narcissistic bitch about it, in which case you should probably have an intervention.

12. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    I can tell by the way you posted this Nick, that you clearly want me. Was this obvious to everyone on this thread or what

;)

13. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    NO, you're batshitcrazy!! :biggrin1:

Obviously since blue is my favorite color, and he posts in blue, his desire is being directed to me!! That's why every time he expresses admiration in a post, he's secretely channeling to me. I can just feel it. I feel sorry for the folks that think he's responding to them and their pics.

I mean, he's just sex to me, but I know because I ask, he has to want me!!:wink:

I just don't understand why everyone else can't see the signs :confused:. It's just so obviuosly clear:cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted