Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
They don't know your Sexual Orientation so they will address you as a Straight because it is the Common thing.

Perhaps you need to correct them the next time?
It's not that I feel the need to correct them, I just simply say, "oh, I'm not married", or, "I don't have a girlfriend"...both of which are true.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
I personally feel that you have to be really insecure with who you are as a sexual being to take the opposite as a compliment.

I mean, this is all a case of not fitting into various stereotypes, right? So, if I don't run around with a lisp, talk in an effeminent voice, wear pink clothing, and act like a woman, I'm a straight man. If I don't play sports, look rugged and macho, have an interest in any sort of Arts, then, I must be gay.

I can honestly say that I have no interest in people making assumptions about me. I intentionally act is very different ways because I can't stand assumptions being made about me in any way shape or form.

*says the former captain of the volleyball team, who was also in school plays, on the debate team, a swimmer, a hockeyplayer, a good student, interested in all arts, a member of the computer and chess club, can build shelves and birdhouses, knows how to cook and clean, but also take care as a landscapper and had worked in every job possible over a 10 year span.*

Last edited:

scottredleter

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
A compliment, no... but somewhere deep in my ego, I guess it makes me feel good. Maybe if for no other reason than I love straight guys... I know that can lead to a lot of frustration, but I've gotten good at dealing with it. I think they're really big teases for gay men and they love to be noticed. In fact I think they are kind of insulted if they aren't noticed. This hetrosexism thing that you seem to have can't be for real. How can you (I assume) want civil rights for gays, but then just paint all straight guys with that huge broad brush stroke of being, "boring, conservative, weak, cowards." those are NOT the straight guys I know and love. In fact in almost every instance where I confided in a friend about being gay I found that they were probably more accepting of it than I was myself, especially this younger generation of guys now... they just don't really care any more (OK, there are still some, but it's changing). So don't push for gay civil rights by bashing a whole other group of people... especially straight guys... I wouldn't want to live in a world without 'em!
In fact because I think you straight men have been so unfairly dissed, here's some stuff for you...
Garg MAn: Don't be a Straight Basher

Well-hung-nerd said:
One needs to keep in mind 90+% of the population is straight, so unless one exhibits tendencies/mannerism generally associated with gay people, one will generally be assumed as straight.
Heterosexism.

How is that heterosexism? Most people are heterosexual. Excluding any and ALL closet queens who have or want sex with men yet call themselves "straight". :rolleyes:

For me straight men mean:
boring and conservative
dogmatic
weak (they are lured bey women, as a dog by a bone)
dangerous for businesses as they are susceptible to traps and feminine charms
chained to life by wives or girlfriends and therefore cannot enjoy life

They also do not explore around them (no pun intended)
I have found many of them to be lacking in courage too.

LMAO keep in mind there are lots of gay men who are the exact same way!

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
it kinda gets my BVDs twisted, being mistaken for a straight girl.

i'm sure that says all kinda horrible things about me... but it's my natural reaction. :sad:

i'm sure that says all kinda horrible things about me... but it's my natural reaction. :sad:

When you have a boyfriend does that happen? Or do you tell people how you are bisexual?

warren84

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've had friends say that I'm the straightest gay guy they've ever met. When I do let other people know, they'll also say things like 'oh, I'd never have guessed', or 'you don't seem gay.' I don't take it as a compliment but I'm also not insulted by it. However, I do like the fact that people don't necessarily guess I'm gay before I decide to tell them; that way they get to know my personality before prejudging me.

It also gives me a chance to assess new acquaintances' / colleagues' attitudes to gay people in general so I can see what their reaction might be to me coming out to them. At my new job it looks like everyone is generally supportive so I'm thinking of doing it soon!

Reactions: Lynx

Big surprise you hate straight people and it shows. Why does it matter if someone thinks or assumes that you are straight? :rolleyes:

BrownboyNY

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think people take it as a compliment because homosexuality hasn't always been a socialy acceptable thing for example my brother is half white but for some reason he doesnt look black at all. when people confuse him for white they act as if they are paying hime a compliment. for that to be a compliment it would be saying that it is better to be white. So its understandable to see being confused for straight as a compliment but i think its important to let them know that your arent
( i know i have poor grammar but its late and im tired haha)