Benazir Bhutto Assassinated (yet another sad day for democracy)

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ManlyBanisters, Dec 27, 2007.

1. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

ABC News: Benazir Bhutto Killed in Pakistan Explosion

I can't claim to be hugely well informed on Pakistani politics, nor do I have a well informed opinion on whether the corruption charges levelled at Bhutto had significant substance or were mere smear, probably somewhere inbetween. I do know that this is a sad and unsettling setback for Pakistan - ignorance, fear, hatred and backwardness once again gaining the upperhand on hope for a fairer future.

This is the first time since the assassination of Yitzhak Rabin that I have cried on hearing the news of the death of a political figuredhead - and for the same reasons.

RIP Benazir Bhutto

2. slate_australis

slate_australis New Member

Albums:
    She was a voice for democracy where it is desperately needed.

I hope the people of Pakistan rise up against these monsters.

3. B_henry miller

B_henry miller New Member

Sad. She was a beautiful woman.

4. Krusader

Gold Member

Albums:
    Couldnt believe when i saw it on TV. Guess someone doesnt want democracy in pakistan. Bless her soul :frown1:

5. RobinSF

RobinSF Member

Quite shocking. Reminds one of how lucky most of us are in our Western democracies, the ones where you can run for public office and reasonably expect no loss of life.

6. Osiris

Gold Member

I personally hated the fact she returned to Pakistan. My heart told me she was walking into the line of fire. She was a true voice of freedom and advancement in the world and we all are better for her having graced the world stage, yet deprived for having lost such a bright light of democracy. I have always admired her and I take solace in the fact she was doing what her country and people needed. She died standing up for those who can't easily stand up for themselves.

Safe journey home Madame Bhutto

As for that rat Musharraf, he must be slipping. I would have thought his toadies would have pulled this off sooner. I await the next lie the Bush Administration is going to tell to "smooth over" this latest travesty of Musharraf's slimy government. May Musharraf get what he so rightly deserves, hopefully in the same way as Madame Bhutto did.

7. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Very sad news this morning. Its just so sad. Im at a loss for words.:frown1:

8. bobabooey69

Gold Member

Albums:
    Another proof that they only assassinate the good ones. Way to go Muslim extremists, way to go.

9. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Osiris, you may be right about Musharraf, but I wonder. Surely no one on the planet is in a more difficult position than he.
    My fear is that his policies will greatly increase the degree of polarization in the country, thereby giving more overture to the extremists.
    But it's equally possible that we will look back on him as a man who had only poor choices to make, and made choices that, from the perspective, say, of a decade from now, will seem far more reasonable than they do now.
    Just sayin', you understand.

10. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh, shit, shit, shit, shit. I have been dreading such an event ever since she returned to Pakistan. I don't know that she would have been any great improvement over Musharraf on balance, but this is a terrible thing for Pakistan no matter how you look at it.

11. gwr1349

gwr1349 New Member

I guess only chicken shits blow them selves up and kill others in the process. What a fantastic lady. This is a bad day for all of us around the world.

12. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

What Osiris said,tells my views also.
    Thanks buddy.
    R.I.P. Madame Bhutto.
    Sad day for the Pakistani people.
    cigarbabe:saevil:

13. bimmli

bimmli Member

I'm not sure Musharraf had anything to do with Benazir Bhutto's death. There exists Islamic terrorists (Al-Queda) who did not want to see her sharing power with Musharraf because this would have more unified the country. She also represented a change to democracy in Pakistan that those terrorists do not want.

14. agnslz

Gold Member

It was a shock, even though it seemed likely this would happen. I remember when something similar happened a few weeks back I thought that she had been killed then. I was watching the news and they didn't say what exactly happened for almost a half-hour. Ever since then I knew this might happen, but to wake up this morning to it on TV was still an awful surprise. May she rest in peace, and may her memory and work while she was alive serve for the betterment of Pakistan going forward.

15. Osiris

Gold Member

Rubi, you and I need our own news show. Let's talk to CNN about retooling Crossfire for us. :biggrin1:

You are right, the man is in a very hard position, but who put him there? He did it to himself. He is so afraid of getting killed himself that he says yes to anyone who comes knocking:

Taliban - Sure, hide out in the mountains. We'll have your back.

Bush - Sure we will root out the Taliban for you. No problem, we have your back.

If the man were anymore wishy washy, he'd drip when he spoke.

The other factor to this is all corruption charges were dropped against Benazir Bhutto, but what about her husband? The two cases were linked. Why drop charges against the bigger threat and leave the lesser threat still exiled for the same charges?

I'll tell you why, so you can have a clean, unobstructed shot at your target.

Musharraf may not be a smart leader, but he is not stupid. Problem is he wears his policies and corruptions like his military medals, for all to see.

The world should not kid itself. Madame Bhutto was lead back to Pakistan like a lamb to the slaughter. She went to show her strength and resolve to the people who have always supported her even though she knew it would mean her certain death. Is she a martyr? Perhaps, but right now I see her as just another sad statistic in a war on terror that isn't working and a notch in the belt of yet another tiny minded despot trying to retain power over that which he most assuredly cannot control. I give it a few days and I am very sure her assassination will round about be attributed to the Taliban extremists hiding out in Pakistan.

We can only hope fate sees clear to "reward" Musharraf swiftly.

16. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

That was as predictable as it is sad.

17. SteveHd

Gold Member

It's saddening for the whole world not just Pakistan. I don't follow Pakistani politics much but she seemed to be dignified, eloquent, but also strong.

Another unfortunate thing: conspiracy theories are inevitable. Many will spring up while her family grieves.

18. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I don't find him wishy washy. I find he does quite a brilliant job, stepping among all the mine fields in front of him. But of course, he contradicts himself, because he has to say contradictory things to various constituencies. Maybe that's what makes you think he's wishy washy.
    I do think he came in with good intentions.
    He is also governing a country with all kinds of centrifugal forces, many violent elements who claim divine imprimatur for their murders, and a rather shallow democratic tradition.

I think the case(s) against her husband were far stronger, for one thing. And the charges against her were not dropped because justice officials had decided they had no merit; they were dropped so that she could re-enter the country and run for prime minister. Her husband had no such intention.
    But you're assuming, it seems, that Musharraf was behind the assassination. How can you say that? What do you base it on?
    You may turn out to be right, but there are many elements that would like to have seen Bhutto dead, a fact that she mentioned in all her recent interviews, and that was secret to no one.

Again, you're implicitly claiming something like omniscience.
    None of us knows what happened.
    And I, personally, find Taliban involvement more plausible than Musharraf's.
    Just my view, of course.
    And to hope that Musharraf is killed or executed ("We can only hope fate sees clear to 'reward' Musharraf swiftly," as you say) is only to feed the cycle that perpetuates these terrible and violent human drives.

19. Osiris

Gold Member

Rubi? I hate when you are right.

Your points are spot on, but the man isn't stupid and has to many fingers in too many pies. I just think Pakistan could do better. Correction. Had better, but a few hours ago lost it.

20. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Pakistan with our "ally" Musharaff around:

* Opposition leaders killed
    * Funds and resources provided to fight al Qaida instead used to jail university professors and civil rights lawyers
    * Martial law and rigged elections
    * Nuclear weapons secrets given to North Korea
    * al Qaida holding tough or gaining strength on Afghan border mountains

Draft saved Draft deleted