Benchpress/workout question

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by falcon27, Jul 13, 2008.

1. falcon27

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Ok, so I know this isn't probably the BEST place to ask but I figure some of you probably are into fitness. I lift weights 3x per week when I can. My goal is to get big pecs. They're alright right now, but I want to pump them up. I'm concerned about the effectiveness of my upper body workout though.

This is currently what I do:
    7 reps; 7 sets regular bench press
    7 reps; 7 sets inclined bench press
    7 reps; 7 sets decline bench press
    7 reps; 7 sets flys (when i can find the energy)

Between reps I pause, because obviously I can't lift 7 more reps right away. What's the length of time to wait before beginning again? Just whenever I feel ok enough to? How often do you personally add on more weight? Right now I add about 10 pounds (total) every 3 weeks. Is this about right?

Also, lower body. I'm trying to round out my ass. I do lunches holding a 25lb weight. For the first 5 lunges on each leg, I can really feel it. I feel my glutes tightening, but then after that it's hard to feel the "burn" if you know what I mean. I also do squats but I fucking loathe squats so I prefer lunges. What are some other lower body exercises that are good for toning your ass? Thanks for reading, if you know anything for sure I'd love to hear what you think.

2. dc9

dc9
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, I loved to have to seen a full body shot to make a better judgement, but this sounds like an awesome workout.
    I will have to check back for the full body shot.

3. falcon27

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Working on it, digital cam was stolen at a wedding I went to. My pecs aren't huge as of right now, but I have clear definition. I'm just wondering if this workout is going to be effective. I'm benching just 100lbs right now, still a beginner!

4. midwestbeef

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    If you are looking to add size, the best way to do that is too cut down on the number of reps and sets, and increase the amount of weight you are lifting. You should still go to failure, but basically the general idea is that lower weight and higher reps will tone you out, and higher weights and lower reps will bulk you up. So its best to get a combonation of both, you dont want to plateau with your workout, always change it up. Go a little more on the side of heavy weights and lower reps if you really want to have a noticable difference though

5. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    " "

6. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    If you are only bench pressing 100 lbs. right now then just about any routine you stick to will work. If you are adding 10 lbs. to your max every 3 weeks, then you might as well stick to what you are doing. As you get stronger I think you will have to cut back on the number of sets or you will burn out by not giving your body enough time to recover. Everyone's different in how fast they can recover though.

You should work your back also or else your body won't look balanced.

7. falcon27

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Ok thanks, I had actually heard that before but didn't know if it was true. I appreciate the advice

Thanks for the tips man. By back I'm assuming you mean my actual back.. right now the only weight equipment I have is a bench press and treadmill, plus free weights. What can I do to work on my back with just free weights?

Also, i drink a protein shake after every workout. Within 20 minutes of my finishing.

#7 falcon27, Jul 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  8. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ideally, I'd say lat pull downs and great, but you don't have the cable to do that. Pull ups are basically the same thing but you can't vary your weight. If you had a bar to hang from you could do them. With dumbbells you can do dumbbell rows.

9. TomSchmo

TomSchmo Member

Doing rows are good for the back to balance it out. With freeweights you can put one knee and hand on your bench, and the other foot on the ground so that you're like bending over and row the weight with the other hand.
    And you can also get a freeweight in each hand and stand but hunched over a little and do like a reverse pec fly where you lift the weights up and out to your sides.

And to tone up your ass, I would say to put your treadmill on an incline so that its like you're going up-hill, i know that i feel some burn in my ass after that, its alot of burn in the calves too.

10. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    you are over training son...I do maybe about 10 sets total for chest. And I super set them. I do 4 sets of incline dumbell press, followed immediately by side bridges (30 seconds per side), followed immediately by 4 pushups (adding 4 per set so at the end I am doing 16) with only 30 seconds rest between sets. Then maybe some flat bench or decline and then flys and I am out. Superset to get a real pump, plus your workout will be three times as fast. I lift for 20 minutes maybe. You are doing WAY too many sets.

And if you want to get your ass phat, suck it up and do squats and run. There is no other way around it.

Pushups and pullups will save your life.

11. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yea that too. Don't rest much in between. You don't to slow down to much. Skull Mason is rught , you just gota suck it up and run. You'll build endurance , and girls love that. If you start to get tired and slow down to a cumbersome jog you gotta breathe in through the nose and out through teh mouth. And pace yourself, sing a song in your head or hold a beat or something so you keep your strides and breathing steady.

12. OCMuscleJock

Gold Member

Albums:
    you're definitely over training. If you're trying to pack on size, you need to lower the number of sets and reps. Also, try making chest day ...just for chest.

I do 3 sets of 8 reps. One press and one fly for each angle of the chest. *upper/middle/lower* Then I do pullovers to expand the chest. I found that by splitting the body into one body part a day...by the time you get back to that part..you've had more time to rest and do not risk over training that muscle. As for rest... when working out alone..i rest only for the amount of time it would take a workout partner to do the same exercise. Waiting too long between sets is a bad idea. your muscles will build up more lactic acid and make you more tired and harder for you to proceed with that movement again...

****DRINK LOTS OF WATER

My workout is this...

chest
    legs
    shoulders *always put a day between shoulders and Back or chest.*
    arms
    back
    rest/repeat....

**shoulders are the most over trained muscle group since you use them for both chest and back. Thus the reason for my split.

to add some size to your bootie...do leg press with feet higher on the platform, your butt should raise just a lil on the retraction part of the movement. Also lunges are GREAT bubble makers :)

Just make sure to use proper form when doing exercises and dont try to go too heavy without a spotter.

Hope that helps...

13. falcon27

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    http://www.lpsg.org/gallery/data/500/chest.png << so this is what i'm "working with". it's not much, but a year ago, i looked a lot different. completely flat, no definition whatsoever.

I figured as much. However, I'm always sore (in a good way) the following day so that's why I've never really thought about it too much. I read once that the biggest mistake a lot of people make is just doing the regular flat bench presses, and not hitting it from all three angles. I figured doing it from all three angles doing as many sets as I could would be best. But I'm doing way too many at one time apparently.

hehe yeah i know. i'm not a fan of jogging but i think it's only because i don't have that endurance built up yet. but i do force myself to do a 30 minute jog at least twice a week.

Thanks for the tips!! I actually do just "chest day", it's just that the workout takes so damn long because I'm apparently doing too much at one time, lol.

About spotting, I think it may become an issue when I start lifting heavier weights. My friends are not into weight lifting at all, and I can't afford a gym membership right now. So I just have to kind of make sure I can handle it. I know it may sound like I'm overexerting myself workout-wise, but if I feel I can't lift something I won't even try.

Do you recommend dips? I appreciate you guys answering all these questions, I'm such a noob when it comes to this. My older brother is pretty buff but seems reluctant to share information...

14. transformer_99

Gold Member

From your profile to the left side, you're 22 years old, how much do you weigh ? How tall and what are your other body dimensions such as waist and chest measurements ? A good thing to do at this stage is do the "tale of the tape" like a boxer would do and that way you know where you started and what gains you've made. It's always a good idea to get realistic expectations of where you are physically, where your body can grow to and so on:

Heavyweight Tale of the Tape

To me, 7 sets & 7 reps sounds more advanced. I'd probably suggest a pyramiding of the initial bench press (as many as 5 sets and stay around 10 or as many as you can do for reps). The incline, decline and flies, I'd suggest 3 sets each of 8-10 reps. And one you didn't indicate, a couple of the tricep development exercises, you'll need to work on those to be able to finish/lock out a heavy bench press. Just from my observations, most bench press are failures to count because the lifter was unable to lock it out and put the bar on the stand on his own. The pecs/chest were done lifting long before the required lock out. Locking out is the tricep muscle.

#14 transformer_99, Jul 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  15. falcon27

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm 6'2", about 165lbs, 33w. I'll have to measure my chest.

I will keep that in mind. I'm finding that as I add on more weight, the last rep takes a lot more effort to get up so I will work in some tricep exercises. Thanks for the link, I'll try to get those measurements.

16. green26

green26 Active Member

Do pushups, buy the perfect pushup, they are great. When I want to pump up my pecs I do this, 25 pushups than 24, 23, 22, etc down to 1, rest only about 1 minute between sets, that should help you.

17. transformer_99

Gold Member

Ever lift weights in High School or just starting right now ?

18. falcon27

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Not really. Here and there, but never anything consistent. The past 6 months I've been very consistent with it.

19. transformer_99

Gold Member

If you've been at it for 6 months, you should be conditioned ? To be honest, what's your goal ? Is it realistic in regards to your body type, your food consumption & dietary habits and so on. At 6'2" you have the height and skeletal frame to be able to go much larger than 165 lbs. Whatever you seek to build up to, remember as you get older, you're going to have to maintain and carry that around. I know today it doesn't seem like it's that big of a warning because you're 22.

If you are going to go for the power lifter size, You need to look at your diet and start counting calories:

Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs

"Lose Fat And Build Muscle?

Depending on your body type, it can be a very difficult balance trying to eat to burn fat, but retain or even build muscle. It's worth reading Tom Venuto's Burn the fat, feed the muscle (BFFM) for valuable insight on how to balance this. But realize that there is no single answer for everyone. It is a process of trial and error - but you need a starting point."

Set some goals and work towards them. But there are a few ways to get there that involve similar methods. But if more weight and strength, you'll need to boost your caloric intake and really hit the heavier weights. You can throw calories at your body that are quality foods or you can throw calories that are junk foods. But you're going to need the fuel to burn to lift more weight. BTW, the link above, I don't have anything to do with that guy's program (Tom Venutto's BFFM), it came with the quotation from the other link. But the point I guess, what he says has a lot of truth. The body is a machine and with exercise and feeding can do incredible things.

20. falcon27

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I don't want to get too big. I hate to use this guy as an example, but Jesse Metcalfe has the kind of pecs I want. Big and well defined, but not too big. I'm not going for the power lifter look. Just the "wow he takes care of himself" kind of look. Lean, yet muscular.

Oh believe me, I know what you're talking about. Already I'm noticing my metabolism is not as efficient as it was even just 3-4 years ago. And, my older brothers, who are built similarly (but much more muscular) are now in their early 30's and when they gain weight and let themselves go, it's much more noticeable.

Thanks for the link man that is awesome! I'm definitely gonna have to start taking in more protein, I know that for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted