Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
'Shoving down...'? Well whether we like it or not that's how it works. Bernie should have ran as the independent he is. Instead he hitched his post to the democratic wagon.

He'd of had even less of a chance being independent.

Reactions: distilledpunk

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
'Shoving down...'? Well whether we like it or not that's how it works. Bernie should have ran as the independent he is. Instead he hitched his post to the democratic wagon.

He has been caucusing with the Democrats for years... he's certainly not an outsider.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Again not completely true. SOME blacks may be against Bernie but not all.

What does matter is the issue of discrimination. A friend of mine and I have been having a discussion on Facebook in which he says that economic equality is what we should focus on because that will lead to social equality. I think he neglects that in the past wealth had nothing to do with racial discrimination. Wealthy blacks were still denied service in some hotels despite having more money than some whites. Bernie is right to talk about income inequality but equal time must be devoted to other issues. When the focus becomes other issues Bernie does better with non whites. He needs to do more of that to insure an exciting convention that might bring some change.

I commend you in your effort to at least TRY to respond to one who continues to speak in absolutes, via mischaracterizations, generalizations, and assumptions about "liberals," "blacks," etc, and via overly simplified analysis of often complex issues, and events. For example:

"the DNC... platform has already been decided by Wall Street and the Industrial Military Complex."

Right. That's why they support a fairer/higher minimum wage.

"Obama-bots all rubber stamped his assassination program, looked the other way while he armed ISIS, allowed him to become the whistleblower-in-chief, deporter-in-chief and Wall Street enabler-in-chief."

Right. The man who's kept us out of two wars, attempts surgical strikes at known terrorists, and who HASN'T used chemical weapons against his own people is the assassin, deporter-in-chief who created ISIS. (For ANOTHER perspective, see:

Did Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton create ISIS? - CNN.com
newrepublic.com: Who's the Real Deporter-In-Chief: Bush or Obama?

"...our only enemies are liberals and centrists at this point."

If so, why bitch and moan about liberals and centrists? Surely your pals in the Trump camp (and his tacit supporters HERE) are willing to listen.

"Liberals are pro-war, pro-wall street, pro-corporate media and are pro-elitist... everything that the progressives stand against. Liberals don't give a fuck about poor people."

If liberals don't give a fuck about poor people then why do we support laws, initiatives, programs that help/support the poor?

All Liberals aren't "pro-war." Many are pro RESTRAINT, but NOT anti-RESOLVE. There's a big fucking difference. I (and some other liberals) happen to believe assuring your adversaries of your lack of RESOLVE to respond APPROPRIATELY to aggression is a sign of WEAKNESS.

We are not pro corporate, pro elitists, and that other bullshit. We want greater corporate regulation, incentives for corporations to create jobs at home, corporations and the wealthy bearing a fairer share of the tax burden (NOT a tax scheme that's going to put even more on the backs of the middle class), affordable health care for all, assistance programs for the needy, a better liveable minimum wage, and equitable pay.

And with all that, we also still believe in the American dream of upward mobility and achieving success via one's own efforts, elitist pieces of shit that we are.

"...liberals are horrible people and not to be trusted."
"...to be a progressive is to be a good person who cares about humanity."
"They [liberals] are all full of shit... they don't even believe in what they are supposedly selling."

Aside from calling attention to the nature of the above, I offer no comment.

"The Bernie phenomenon is filled with white people... blacks lined up firmly against Bernie and the progressives. Its even worse than you think."

The fault here of course lies with black people.

"Hillary is an elitist piece of shit."

... no comment.

"Blacks came out overwhelmingly in support of Hillary Clinton and they are basically shoving Hillary Clinton down the country's throat due to their loyalty to the "brand'. It's fucking sad no matter which way you look at it."

Riiiiiiiight.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Right. The man who's kept us out of two wars, attempts surgical strikes at known terrorists, and who HASN'T used chemical weapons against his own people is the assassin, deporter-in-chief who created ISIS.

The decision to create ISIS went above Obama's head and was a plan in place for years before he became president. I don't think he felt like he could undo it and many neo-conservatives convinced him that ISIS was actually better than Assad. It was only the beheading videos which gave everyone a taste of who they really were... until then a caliphate was just an abstract notion.

Hillary Clinton created and implemented our foreign policy during that period... that's the job of the Secretary of State. They develop and execute the foreign policy of the executive branch... the executive branch's foreign policy comes out of the state department. That foreign policy is blended with the congressional foreign policy and we get our actual foreign policy from that combination or conflict depending on the make-up of each branch.

Assad didn't use chemical weapons on his own people, that was Al Nusra. They have had chemical weapons for a while now and terrorists don't give a shit about human lives... especially ISIS. Do you know anything about Syria or Assad? I'm not trying to be a dick but just wonder if you can place anything you hear about Syria in any sort of context. Why would Assad want to gas his own people? He's fighting a war for hearts and minds... those gas victims were civilians... not a military target. Assad is family man... do you know anything about him?

Assad's government forces have been getting gassed by Al-Nusra for a while now. Aleppo has been gassed for weeks by Nusra... as soon as the Russians pulled most of their forces out, Nusra started to gas government forces with... you guessed it... Sarin.

If so, why bitch and moan about liberals and centrists? Surely your pals in the Trump camp (and his tacit supporters HERE) are willing to listen.

Trump is something that doesn't seem right to me and he's a total wildcard... I feel like he can't be trusted and so he's a non choice for me despite him trying to get people like me excited with his faux isolationist foreign policy. I don't buy it... he'll war monger like the best of 'em. He's not a viable alternative for any true progressive. I don't have any problem voting for the lesser of two evils like an adult and Hillary is the lesser of two evils so to speak. The Hillary presidency could go well... but her supporters would have to understand the need for her to adopt more progressive policies and not fight progressives tooth and nail whenever we feel like her policies are too far to the right. You guys would have to stand down in order for this to work... no shooting the messenger and shaming/bullying.

If liberals don't give a fuck about poor people then why do we support laws, initiatives, programs that help/support the poor?

I feel that most of those laws, initiatives and programs are in "token" and "spirit" only. There is no real help out there for poor people and it's 20mutherfucking16... this is ridiculous. The minimum wage should be around $22 an hour if people want to be able to support themselves on a 40 hour minimum wage job... The liberals and centrists wanted to incrementally move it up so it would eventually be at $12. That is a band-aid on a hemorrhaging wound. It's all about SLOOOOOOW change and not rocking the boat with liberals and centrists... you screw around and bang on (and around) the nail lightly for an hour when you could just drive it through the piece of wood with two sure strikes. I feel like their empathy for poor people is not as strong as their desire to not rock the boat... that;s pretty much a kinder way of saying they don't give a shit... we could parse words... but you know what I am saying.

All Liberals aren't "pro-war." Many are pro RESTRAINT, but NOT anti-RESOLVE. There's a big fucking difference. I (and some other liberals) happen to believe assuring your adversaries of your lack of RESOLVE to respond APPROPRIATELY to aggression is a sign of WEAKNESS.

That's the sort of backwards thinking that gets us constantly involved in conflicts. Worrying about showing signs of weakness is pathetic and the sort of machismo bullshit that has no place in modern geo-political discourse. Assuring adversaries that you plan on destroying them is also counter-productive. The military is for goddamn defense not a tool with which our military can run around the world showing people our big and shiny resolve to be tough guys... can you not see how we just need to be above the board on all of this? We are human beings not animals and we should exercise our greater natures when dealing with diplomatic situations of great urgency.

We are not pro corporate, pro elitists, and that other bullshit. We want greater corporate regulation, incentives for corporations to create jobs at home, corporations and the wealthy bearing a fairer share of the tax burden (NOT a tax scheme that's going to put even more on the backs of the middle class), affordable health care for all, assistance programs for the needy, a better liveable minimum wage, and equitable pay.

But what is the depth of that empathy which drives those aspirations of social improvement and greater equality... how deep is your love man? You've shown me that your love and compassion for others has a definite shallow end.

The fault here of course lies with black people.

It would be their fault that Bernie Sanders lost to Hillary Clinton yes, that's a fact... and old people too. lolz! It's just the way it is... black folk aren't beholden to voting for the most progressive candidate... I get that... Bernie's message should have resonated more strongly with the African American population.... but it didn't... nobody fucking knows why, we can all guess, but what's done is done. I've heard a myriad of reasons why African Americans support Hillary over Bernie... there's no one real reason except for the obvious fact that the establishment that is the DNC is a tent that nobody wants to be outside of no matter what their ethnicity is. Progressives were willing to stand outside of that tent and black people largely stayed inside of the tent (where the power structure resides). It's not crazy to want to be where the power structure is... you'd have to be crazy to leave the tent... Bernie supporters are all crazy like that... we were willing to take a chance on a new progressive era.

I commend you in your effort to at least TRY to respond to one who continues to speak in absolutes, via mischaracterizations, generalizations, and assumptions about "liberals," "blacks," etc, and via overly simplified analysis of often complex issues, and events.

Oversimplification is not really my specialty b.c. and my analysis is usually complex enough for the given argument... you're just bloody wrong.

Are you consciously being a vindictive beater of dead horses or is this just a behavioral pattern you have sort of fallen into and maybe you could just stop it if you really tried? As dogged as you are, I still have faith that there is a person inside who likes to chill out and be nice to people... let others have their ideas... if those ideas are filled with love and acceptance... why fight them? I don't preach anything that doesn't involve a whole lotta love and compassion. People should stop fighting and help the unfortunate... can it be any more simple than that? I don't want World War III and I AM THE ASSHOLE?!?!? Do you realize how illogical that sounds? The unfortunate are the LEAST OF US... they need our compassion the most. Military posturing and threatening while destabilizing other countries to expand our hegemonic aims is FUCKING WRONG!!!! The United States has never tried peace... we try everything else... but never peace. Peace starts when someone offers it up... it starts when ONE person stretches out their hand not when they both do so simultaneously.

The cold war is over... you can't keep up those old grudges and alignments... we are in a new paradigm now and we ALL need each other to survive climate change. America has to make peace with it's supposed enemies. That's all their supposed enemies want anyway... peace is more valuable than anything on earth and North Korea would jump at a real olive branch in a heartbeat. All of that bullshit could be over within a month or two if we really wanted peace.

You have to want peace... strive for it... surpass your ability to wage peace and surprise yourself how effectively love and acceptance can move mountains of hate/spite wrought be years of conflict.

Last edited:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
^ I don't intend to go around an around with you on this because clearly we operate from two distinct ideological perspectives, the difference being your continued attempt to invalidate that with which you disagree as being insincere, ("token" "in spirit") or invalid (hence "no one real reason for African Americans support of Hillary over Bernie...").

Perhaps no reason you'll ACCEPT, eh?

Nor was there anything in my words re. "RESOLVE to respond APPROPRIATELY to aggression" even REMOTELY suggesting what YOU define as "Assuring adversaries that you plan on destroying them." That's just more of your straw man argumentation, spin, and putting words into the mouths of others.

Regarding minimum wages, programs for those in need, etc. perhaps you believe Bernie has some magic bullet that would get all that you propose accomplished, in spite of the fact that Obama has been fighting an obstructionist Congress from the inception of his presidency. Good luck with THAT.

As for the rest, I don't NEED your acceptance/belief/approval on whether I "give a shit" ... don't need to validate (and certainly not for YOU) "the depth of my empathy" nor care about your "faith that there's a person inside who likes to chill out and be nice to people" (STRANGE words coming from YOU, considering... ) or ANY of the above, because my posts define what I care about, and YOUR acceptance of that is, for ME, about as insignificant as ....

... well, here I'll "chill out and be nice".

Last edited:

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
^ I don't intend to go around an around with you on this because clearly we operate from two distinct ideological perspectives, the difference being your continued attempt to invalidate that with which you disagree as being insincere, ("token" "in spirit") or invalid (hence "no one real reason for African Americans support of Hillary over Bernie...").

Perhaps no reason you'll ACCEPT, eh?

Nor was there anything in my words re. "RESOLVE to respond APPROPRIATELY to aggression" even REMOTELY suggesting what YOU define as "Assuring adversaries that you plan on destroying them." That's just more of your straw man argumentation, spin, and putting words into the mouths of others.

Regarding minimum wages, programs for those in need, etc. perhaps you believe Bernie has some magic bullet that would get all that you propose accomplished, in spite of the fact that Obama has been fighting an obstructionist Congress from the inception of his presidency. Good luck with THAT.

As for the rest, I don't NEED your acceptance/belief/approval on whether I "give a shit" ... don't need to validate (and certainly not for YOU) "the depth of my empathy" nor care about your "faith that there's a person inside who likes to chill out and be nice to people" (STRANGE words coming from YOU, considering... ) or ANY of the above, because my posts define what I care about, and YOUR acceptance of that is, for ME, about as insignificant as ....

... well, here I'll "chill out and be nice".

This is what makes you a sadist. I offer my hand in kindness and you bat it away with malice and vitriol. Your arguments are now just tilting at windmills... it's like debating with a schizophrenic.

I like how you responded with hate to my compassion... all hallmarks of a sadist. I put the white flag up and you shot it full of holes... typical. THIS is why you are a bully.

I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but it's clear that you are more comfortable with sadism than friendship. I guess we're still enemies... there's no coming together with someone like you... your ego would rather fuck with people than let them be.

I've made peace with almost everyone on this board and you are the ONLY member who is consistently unable to be the bigger man. You're someone who on paper looks like someone I would like to be around... in practice you seem to lack simple skills and have a gigantic ego which gets in the way of normal social interaction.

ALL your posts seem dour, pretentious, smug and take an air of superiority.... for what reason? What the fuck is wrong with you?

I've told you flat out that you are a bully and I fucking HATE bullies... that's why I (repeatedly) verbally beat you on the head... because you are a bully and there is nothing bullies deserve more than their own medicine tenfold. Yeah, you don't like it when I hit back... nobody likes being hit right? You and like three or four of your lpsg buds liked to gang up on me and beat me up at the same time... wasn't that fucking fun for you? Having a little gang where you get to be the leader and attack people all at once and then taking turns to the point where the victim has to fight for his life and picks up any object he can use to defend himself was fun right?

Oh... it was GREAT for you... good times... good times. Then you found out what it was like to receive your own medicine doubly. I counter HARD dude... you should know that by now. I think you expect that when you run around like a sadist, everyone should just be thankful for your "gifts". I'm not and that's my right as a human being.. I don't have to accept your "gifts".

You won't get defensively struck in the side anymore, the day you decide to stop fucking with the bull. Choose peace dude, it's always available to you.

And stop it with the bold, it's really self aggrandizing... it sort of broadcasts your giant ego to the world for all to see.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
This is what makes you a sadist. I offer my hand in kindness and you bat it away with malice and vitriol. Your arguments are now just tilting at windmills... it's like debating with a schizophrenic.

I like how you responded with hate to my compassion... all hallmarks of a sadist. I put the white flag up and you shot it full of holes... typical. THIS is why you are a bully.

I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but it's clear that you are more comfortable with sadism than friendship. I guess we're still enemies... there's no coming together with someone like you... your ego would rather fuck with people than let them be.

I've made peace with almost everyone on this board and you are the ONLY member who is consistently unable to be the bigger man. You're someone who on paper looks like someone I would like to be around... in practice you seem to lack simple skills and have a gigantic ego which gets in the way of normal social interaction.

ALL your posts seem dour, pretentious, smug and take an air of superiority.... for what reason? What the fuck is wrong with you?

I've told you flat out that you are a bully and I fucking HATE bullies... that's why I (repeatedly) verbally beat you on the head... because you are a bully and there is nothing bullies deserve more than their own medicine tenfold. Yeah, you don't like it when I hit back... nobody likes being hit right? You and like three or four of your lpsg buds liked to gang up on me and beat me up at the same time... wasn't that fucking fun for you? Having a little gang where you get to be the leader and attack people all at once and then taking turns to the point where the victim has to fight for his life and picks up any object he can use to defend himself was fun right?

Oh... it was GREAT for you... good times... good times. Then you found out what it was like to receive your own medicine doubly. I counter HARD dude... you should know that by now. I think you expect that when you run around like a sadist, everyone should just be thankful for your "gifts". I'm not and that's my right as a human being.. I don't have to accept your "gifts".

You won't get defensively struck in the side anymore, the day you decide to stop fucking with the bull. Choose peace dude, it's always available to you.

And stop it with the bold, it's really self aggrandizing... it sort of broadcasts your giant ego to the world for all to see.

Dude... "chill out".... LOOK AT THE POSTING TIMES. My message above, posted at 1:24 p.m. TWO HOURS before your reply to me in the other thread. So NO, I haven't batted away your hand offered in kindness, and NO, you aren't the "victim."

As for the rest, I'll dismiss it as just yet another misunderstanding.

Bardox

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He has been an independent because the Democratic Party leaders in Vermont consider him too far left for the party. The voters of Vermont have a different view.

He has always caucused with the dems in the Senate as he did when he was in the house.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View

He has been an independent because the Democratic Party leaders in Vermont consider him too far left for the party. The voters of Vermont have a different view.

He has always caucused with the dems in the Senate as he did when he was in the house.

Well, back on point, my initial statements regarding Sanders and his supporters remains virtually UNCHANGED.

I have said that he's brought some fresh ideas and concepts to the campaign, but even MORE impressive, the support, enthusiasm, and energy of his followers. Those, that is, who don't resort to denigrating people who aren't (and those who were here long enough may recall I denounced such tactics when some Hillary supporters tried it on Obama supporters in '08).

The enthusiasm Bernie supporters have for their candidate is STILL a wonder to behold, and quite frankly, if that kind of verve existed within the mainstream party, the makeup of Congress itself might be totally different. Some might hold that is the fault of wishy-washy policies and lack of direction and comittment to democratic principles from within the Democratic party itself, and in some instances, they would not be entirely wrong.

Regarding support for Clinton, especially among older people and blacks in particular, there are a variety of factors at play there. Older people are (usually) more comfortable with whom they are familiar, and (generally) uneasy about the unfamiliar and too much change, especially when unclear/unsure about how such changes might occur and what may be the result.

Additionally, Hillary was politically savvy enough to portray her candidacy as a continuation (staying the course) of Obama's legacy, a president who has an approval rating among blacks of 85 - 90% depending on which poll you read. Now some might argue that this is an illogical reason, not a valid one, and some may EVEN hold the point of view that Obama hasn't done a damned thing for black people.

Regardless, those poll numbers don't lie, and the results we've seen to date MAY be, at least in PART, a reflection of that.

The bummer is, I hate to see young people with a vision, with hope, get involved in the political process only to have those hopes dashed. And as I've said before, my ideal would be seeing the two candidates, whomever on top, running together on the same ticket.

To the youngest of Bernie supporters, I say again what I've said earlier in this thread. Continue to hope and fight for the change you seek, because this will soon be YOUR world, to make of it what you may.

Reactions: keenobserver

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well, back on point, my initial statements regarding Sanders and his supporters remains virtually UNCHANGED.

I have said that he's brought some fresh ideas and concepts to the campaign, but even MORE impressive, the support, enthusiasm, and energy of his followers. Those, that is, who don't resort to denigrating people who aren't (and those who were here long enough may recall I denounced such tactics when some Hillary supporters tried it on Obama supporters in '08).

The enthusiasm Bernie supporters have for their candidate is STILL a wonder to behold, and quite frankly, if that kind of verve existed within the mainstream party, the makeup of Congress itself might be totally different. Some might hold that is the fault of wishy-washy policies and lack of direction and comittment to democratic principles from within the Democratic party itself, and in some instances, they would not be entirely wrong.

Regarding support for Clinton, especially among older people and blacks in particular, there are a variety of factors at play there. Older people are (usually) more comfortable with whom they are familiar, and (generally) uneasy about the unfamiliar and too much change, especially when unclear/unsure about how such changes might occur and what may be the result.

Additionally, Hillary was politically savvy enough to portray her candidacy as a continuation (staying the course) of Obama's legacy, a president who has an approval rating among blacks of 85 - 90% depending on which poll you read. Now some might argue that this is an illogical reason, not a valid one, and some may EVEN hold the point of view that Obama hasn't done a damned thing for black people.

Regardless, those poll numbers don't lie, and the results we've seen to date MAY be, at least in PART, a reflection of that.

The bummer is, I hate to see young people with a vision, with hope, get involved in the political process only to have those hopes dashed. And as I've said before, my ideal would be seeing the two candidates, whomever on top, running together on the same ticket.

To the youngest of Bernie supporters, I say again what I've said earlier in this thread. Continue to hope and fight for the change you seek, because this will soon be YOUR world, to make of it what you may.

Getting your hopes dashed in politics is a lot like first sexual experiences - some are really great, some so - so , others really bad, but you learn from it and grow and move on. To paraphrase - The fight continues, the dream shall never die.

Boobalaa

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why Bernie must keep running strong: Strength is the only language the establishment understands

Hmmm.."Time and again, the New Democrat establishment blames the left for the party’s failures because it doesn’t want to take responsibility for them. If Clinton somehow loses to Trump this November, expect them to insist that Sanders, having dragged her too far to the left, is at fault.
And if Clinton ditches progressive campaign pledges in the coming months, it will be done in the name of appealing to storied swing voters who reside in a special place called the political center. Not because she, you know, wants to."
..."In reality, New Democrat policies, defended as pragmatic, are actually just preferred by the New Democrats and their corporate patrons. "...The policies, however, are increasingly unpopular. Voters aren’t swinging. They’re scattering. And many want nothing to do with business-friendly reaction dressed up as cautious incrementalism.
..."

That’s why this loss will be such a big win. Sanders has showed the powerful possibility of an inside-outside strategy to transform not only the Democratic Party but American politics as a whole. The 2018 election will be an opportunity to transform the Sanders mobilization and fundraising infrastructure into a nimble organization to support Berniecrats, independents and third party candidates, and to deepen movement ties. The insurgency must neither depend on the Democratic Party nor reflexively dismiss it. It must be institutionalized. But it should not be coopted."

"Sanders will endorse Clinton. But he must do so using truthful words: She is better than Trump. Sanders, unlike other politicians, doesn’t lie well. And if he starts lying now, no one will believe him. A too-full-throated endorsement wouldn’t be taken seriously and would undermine his authenticity."

Boobalaa

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
www.bloomberg.com: Bernie Sanders Vows Contested Convention, Makes Case for Superdelegate Flips

It's virtually impossible for Secretary Clinton to reach the majority of convention delegates by June 14 with pledged delegates alone," the Vermont senator told reporters at the National Press Club in Washington.

"The evidence is extremely clear that I would be the stronger candidate to defeat Trump or any other Republican," Sanders said of the Republican front-runner Donald Trump. He cited several polls showing him doing better than Clinton in a hypothetical head-to-head contest against the real estate magnate.

Calling for reform of the Democratic Party's nominating process, Sanders said he felt "entitled" to support from superdelegates in states whose nominating contests he won, such as Washington state and Minnesota. The same should also be true for Clinton, he said: superdelegates should cast their votes "in line with the people of their states."

Many superdelegates—party leaders and elected officials not formally bound to any candidate—committed to Clinton before the 2016 campaign formally started. Sanders said they should reconsider that support in states where he defeated Clinton by a large margin, and if he did very well in the remaining contests, which include California and New Jersey on June 7.

As Sanders's chances of surpassing Clinton in pledged delegates have narrowed, he’s faced pressure from some Democrats to shift his focus from winning to nomination to uniting the party and promoting his key issues. On Sunday Sanders said he wasn't interested in a legacy of having merely influenced the debate.

“I hope my legacy will be that I was a very good president of the United States,” he said.

Last edited:

MisterB

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Coincidence that speech was on the same day as more than 40% drop in campaign contributions reported for April compared to previous month? Sounded more like a fundraising speech to me.

At the rate his campaign has been spending, they could have trouble getting to California.