Best Bollywood Song Ever? - Ranbir Kapoor

B_JigBohn9x8

Experimental Member
Media
I lived in India twice, for a total of 2 years. Indian pop music contains elements from around the world. Frankly, I can't stand it, and I'm a songwriter and musician. The worst thing is the ultra high pitched female singing.

However, there are some gems. My favorite is 'Jaan pehchaan ho...', used quite a bit in the movie 'Ghost World'. The song is from the 1965 movie 'Gumnaan' and I LOVE it.

I play Sitar everyday and love it. Although I'm a first rate electric guitarist, I consider the Sitar to be the King of stringed instruments. Strangely, it's rarely used in Indian pop music, probably because it is very spirtitual, the most spiritual musical instrument by far. It's like meditating when playing, whereas the guitar puts me in a trance.

JanumSaleem

Experimental Member
Media
agh. jaan pehechaan ho is hands down, my least favorite filmi song of all time. if you want a real old filmi gem, check out Bechain Dil Khoisi Nazar from Yahudi. That's a classic. Or Applam Chaplam from Azad.

B_JigBohn9x8

Experimental Member
Media
Janem Saleem writes: "agh. jaan pehechaan ho is hands down, my least favorite film song of all time."

The name Janem Saleem suggests you are not from the west, not really someone who can appreciate rock music. "Jaan Pehechaan ho..." is rock with Mexican horns, etc. and is quite amazing! They didn't feature it in a major Hollywood movie for no good reason. It's terrific! But you probably don't have the cultural background to appreciate it.

I can't stand opera, most country music, bagpipes, polkas, etc. There's nothing wrong with any of it, it's just not my kind of music, so it's inappropriate for me to pass judgment on it. But when it comes to Rock music, I am an EXPERT! I listen to it, write it, sing it, play it, review it, etc.

"Jaan Pehechan Ho..." is a gem. That's why it's featured in a major Hollywood movie. That's why the movie video also has a separate clip of the song from "Gumnaam" with the brilliant choreography.

Last edited: