Best book you've ever read

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Have read many; "best" is just often what I recently finished.

H.P.Lovecraft's work. Novels by Terry Pratchett. Don Marquis' THE LIVES AND TIMES OF ARCHY AND MEHITABEL. Larry Niven's RINGWORLD. works of Ambrose Bierce. Clark Ashton Smith. C.M. Kornbluth. fond of a book called HE DIED WITH A FELAFEL IN HIS HAND. Emily Dickenson.

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
Literature:

The Outsiders

Some may call it childish, as I think I read this when I started junior high, but it's remained one of the largest influences in my outlook on life.

I was the same. In school had to watch the movie and read the book. I dont think at the time i appreciated it but when i read it again not long ago i realized thing i hadn't the 1st time
Other:

The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band

This is Motley Crue's autobiography. It's out of control, and written so well that I read all 480 pages in less than 24 hours.

Love the Crue and im going to have to look for this one

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery is a book I still read every couple of years. It's a great mind re-set and reminds me to try to look at everything around me with fresh perspective. Because sometimes a hat really can be a snake that's devoured an elephant.:cool:

guyface

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Count get's his ass handed to him, when a bunch of people betray him. Some dude steals his wife. When he finally escapes prison after many years he obtains a very large treasure and the awesome title of The Count of Monte Cristo.
So now he has a shit-ton of mad cash, and a palace and superior killing SKILLZ. He could kill all the motorboating bastards that screw him over, pretty much right away. But no, he watches, waits, and plots there demise. He even befriends all of his old enemies and their families.
I'm telling you, the shit that goes down when his ultimate plan of vengeace goes down is intense. I'm pretty sure he get's this one guy to kill himself.
It's the quintisennctial novel of revenge.

The Catcher in the Rye
I kind of dislike the main character because he acts and sounds so much like me. And he complains too much. Like me.
But don't get me wrong, very enjoyable and thought provoking. Still very easy to read afted being published a million years ago.

I find myself to be a mix of the main characters in these awesome books.
Well pretty much...

conchis

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
- the possibility of an island (michel houellebecq)
- choke, (chuck palahniuk)
- glamorama (bret easton ellis)
- retorno 201 (guillermo arriaga)
- white noise (don de lillo)
- hotel new hampshire (john irving)
- the road (corman mccarthy)
- the thought gang (tibor fischer)
- the portnoy's complain (philip roth)
- the harlot's ghost (norman mailer)

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The Dark Tower - Stephen King's seven part magnum opus that took him almost thirty years to finish. If I had to choose a favorite volume, it would be a tough decision...but I'd have to say Wizard and Glass, which details the protagonist's back story in detail.

Second Treatise on Civil Government by John Locke. I first read this in HS when I was involved in Lincoln-Douglas debate. It was my initial glimpse into the philosophies that drove our founding fathers to establish the republic in the manner they chose.

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlen. Reading this in early college opened my eyes to the truth that our democratic form of government isn't without flaw...and that citizenship by birthright will likely be its ultimate undoing.

A Rose in Winter by Kathleen Woodiwiss. If you don't get it, I won't bother explaining.

Supersized

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Student Success Secrets, when I was 16 yrs old. It's why I'm so successful today. It changed the course of my life. It's my first exposure to Nerolinguistic Programming. Good Stuff!

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
My favourite book is also one of the technically best written books I've ever read - Catch-22 - Joseph Heller.

Other close bests:

The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner
For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
Written on the Body - Jeanette Winterson

I may add this to the list
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger but I will have to read that again at least twice before I'm totally sure - greatest test of a book - rereadabilty

Honourable mention also has to go to:
Against a Dark Background - Iain M Banks which I can read again and again and never grow tired of.

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have read so many books that I have almost no RAM left in my brain, which leaves me unable to compute the task of deciding which books were superior... :tongue:

Um, I'm with hotmilf on this one.

NCbear (who has 16 six-foot-tall bookshelves that are overflowing so completely that he really needs to buy two more)

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I got 3 books . A brief history of time, The origin of species and The God Delusion. I like to many books to list them all but those 3 are one of my favorites.

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Maybe a more revealing measure is the names of books of which you have multiple copies. Several times, I've gone to the local Borders and brought home a new copy of a book I already have--sometimes knowingly, sometimes not.

Examples of unknowing duplication:
  • several books by Orson Scott Card, the Mormon sci-fi writer who lives in Greensboro
  • several books by David Weber, author of the Honor Harrington series
  • several books by Eric Flint, author of the 1632 alternate history novel and many of its sequels
Examples of deliberate duplication:
  • I have five different sets of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy, and two copies of The Silmarillion [the Tolkien sets are in three sizes so I can read them in different venues]
  • I'm working on building three complete sets of the Harry Potter books [hardcover, three-quarter-sized softcover, and small crappy quality paperback]
  • I have three copies of the Bible [three different translations]
  • I have seven dictionaries [unfortunately, not including the OED--yet] and four thesauri
NCbear (whose father was a librarian--what can I say? :biggrin1::tongue:)

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Um, I'm with hotmilf on this one.

NCbear (who has 16 six-foot-tall bookshelves that are overflowing so completely that he really needs to buy two more)

A kindred spirit! :tongue:

I constantly give away books because I have no more room, and I have about 12 boxes of books in storage.

I have read the majority of books named in this thread, and totally agree that they are fine books. Picking a fav is like Sophie's Choice... :eek:

- - - - - - -

Just saw your more recent posting...

Multiple copies as a test! Absolutely!

I haven't KEPT all my multiple copies, but some of the multiple copies I have had in recent years are...

-- Two and a half sets of Harry Potter books (I read at least four of them out loud, cover to cover, having fantastic fun with all the voices)

-- Lord of the Rings

-- Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz

-- Lord of the Flies

-- The Merlin books by Mary Stewart

-- To Kill A Mockingbird

-- Elephant Man

-- Dune

-- The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub (plus Ghost Story, the Shining, and The Green Mile)

Yep... all these multiple copies... :biggrin:

- - - - -

And yes, I'm waiting for time to go by enough to reread The Time Traveller's Wife and The Poisonwood Bible

I also love anything and everything by Neil Gaimin.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have numerous one's that stick out, but a few that really click are:

Sci-Fi - The Demolished Man, The Stars My Destination both by Alfred Bester.

Mystery - Retribution by Jilliane Hoffman or Death Comes as the End by Dame Agatha Christie

Suspense - The List of 7 by Mark Frost

Non-Fiction (AKA Faction) - Tea That Burns by Bruce Edward Hall, The Measure of a Man, The Autobiography of Sidney Poitier, and Pink Samurai by Nicholas Bornoff

Historical treatise - The Art of War by Sun Tzu and The Prince by Nicolo Machiavelli

Drama or Literature - Forbidden Colors by Yukio Mishima