Best Buy now in the UK....

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_stanmarsh14, Nov 10, 2010.

1. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

BTW those of you in the states.... whats with the hype of Best Buy?

They are starting to open outlets in the UK now, through a partnership deal with Carphone Warehouse (There is a massive one in the Kingsway area of Derby)..... prices are not that much different to say like Comet, or Currys

#1 B_stanmarsh14, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well in my experience they were overpriced chain electronics outlet where the employees knew nothing about the products. I hope you have better luck there!

3. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Actually I partially take that back. I got very good router advice from a salesperson that really helped me out.

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

It's a brand name seller with prices set at or near manufacturer's suggested price so you'll want to shop there for things on sale. Some time ago I bought my Acer 19" widescreen monitor at Best Buy when it was on 'Special' at $64 (their regular price was over $110 at the time.)

Depending on the Manager of the store you might be able to show them a sale advertisement from another store and get them to match the price on an item.

5. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

They have very good specials in their weekly circulars. They also have a better selection of items to choose from compared to most other stores.

They are the only electronics only retailer left in many places. Circuit City was their competition but it was closed down, and now is online available online. In the northeast there are one or two other chains, PC Richards and Sixth Ave. Electronics. . In south Florida we have Brandsmart, but they sell a lot of junk.

Staples will sell computer items, but they don't sell audio equipment or TVs.

#5 Mem, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  6. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not sure if the uk version will compare, but they have all sorts of fantastic electronic goodies, plus a great selection of blu-ray/dvd, cd, video games, software, and accessories.

In the US, the prices are increasingly attractive.

I am a fan.

7. Who_Dun_It

Who_Dun_It New Member

They're refund policies tend to suck big time, known people to get told that they had to deal with the manufacturer on faulty items, even if they were brand new and not even capable of being used once.

8. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

I've visited Best Buy in both the US and the UK, the stores are identical. The prices are modest for the UK and I think they will do well with their sales and offers - when I visited there was 20% off everything in store. I think it will do well over here.

However I do agree that their return policy blows. I had to return an item to them which was faulty and was asked to pay a "restocking fee" of 10%, which after a brief discussion was wavered.

9. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

Heh, this is where I come in to my element.....

I've worked in retail for a number of years, and know the "Sale Of Goods Act" very well in the UK, and I have the uncanny knack of arguing the point if I have to. :biggrin1:

10. aajjxx

aajjxx New Member

Hype is just that, hype. I'm not a fan of Best Buy. I preferred their old competition way back...Circuit City. Best Buy has set prices but salesmen at Circuit City were allowed to lower the price to make sales (and they worked off commission). Circuit City eventually set prices like Best Buy, then went out of business.

I bought 3 major things from Best Buy through the years, bought extended warranties for all 3, and all 3 things broke down and they refused to honor the warranties. Just my experience.

11. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:

I don't know about outside the U.S.A. but restocking fees are frequently added on here. It's something everyone forgets to ask about when buying something if they need to return it. I always forget about that.

12. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

As mentioned earlier "Sale of Goods Act" & others - restocking fees are illegal. If the product is defective you're entitled to a full refund. Such potential costs are meant to be incorporated into the sale price.

Well that's all I needed to know, thanks. Bugger Best Buys.

13. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

In the US restocking fees are mostly only on electronic equipment. usually if they are working properly and you decide you don't want them. If defective they will replace your item at no cost.

I only had a problem with that once. I bought a Camcorder and it didn't include a cable to transfer the data to a computer. I tried to return it, but was told that I would be charged a restocking fee because the item was not supposed to include one and it was not missing. I kept it and went to Radio Shack and paid $15 for a cable which probably had a value of about $1. Best buy's restocking fee was 15%.

14. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I find that hard to believe. I never have bought one, but I had a friend who did when she bought an expensive Walkman (when they were out, before MP3s) She dropped it and it broke and they replaced it for her. I think more than once.

15. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

Ah - that would be your fault. I bought one last xmas & made damn sure that it included the cable to the uSB.

Turned out I'd somehow already acquired 5 others before that though:confused:, through old phone connectors that were compatible.

I did get a keyboard once that didn't have a sustain feature, you had to buy a pedal, so I have done the same - which is why I always hassle the sales people into giving me a no fault return valid for a week minimum.

16. erratic

Gold Member

Best Buy CEOs give money to homophobic politicians. Which is their prerogative; it's a free world. So I don't give my money to Best Buy.

It's not a Canadian company anyway, and I'd rather support local merchants than multinationals.

17. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    The Fictitious Stories section is up the page a bit.

18. alx

alx
    Gold Member

They are opening one near me, on the news it said they will sell DVD's to electric cars. Sounds good to me. Being a big ass company they must have massive buying power, hopefully that means cheaper electronics for us.

19. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

They also sell their own brands of LCD TVs which are cheaper than the name brand ones, but built in the same factories.

If you want some kind of electronic equipment that's the place to go for the best selection. Some locations also install car audio, and most also sell washer and dryers.

#19 Mem, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
Draft saved Draft deleted