Best/Favorite Piece Of Classical Music?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh Flashy, have I got a treat for you! My recent introduction to Ralph Vaughan Williams resulted in my discovery of this. I've adored Greensleeves since I was a very young child and I'd sit under the piano while my mother played it.

I hope Henry VIII didn't write Greensleeves because I want to think it's much older. This performance, btw, is the best of the lot even with the poor recording quality. Another good one is this one by Brown Marriner. All are variations on Vaughan Williams' Fantasia on Greensleeves.

Oh and here's a period version of what it may have sounded like in the 16th century. Quite haunting.

some great stuff there, jase, thanks.

the period version is quite good...i still enjoy the original i found that i posted, since, as i said i really love the flute, and the flute/harp combination really gets me...i had it on one of my flute compilation CD's...and it really hooked me...(and reminds me of someone, so that probably does it) :smile:

S

superbot

Handel-Xerxe-Ombra Mai Fu...Kathleen Ferrier singing.Unbearably touching!

Media
Handel-Xerxe-Ombra Mai Fu...Kathleen Ferrier singing.Unbearably touching!

Kathleen Ferrier was a marvelous singer. I have recently come to admire American counter tenor David Daniels. Here is a performance of him doing Handel's "Ombra mai fu."

YouTube - David Daniels - Ombra mai fu - Xerxes - Handel

His recordings of Handel arias are marvelous.

Speaking of Baroque, has anyone mentioned Tomaso Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor, or the Pachalbel Canon in D. Cleo Laine, whose recordings seem to have become scarce, did a delightful vocal version of the Pachelbel Canon. (Or as my students sometimes call it: The Taco Bell Canon.):biggrin1:

Oddly enough, they've got a (lighthearted) political compass graph for composers... :p

LowRida

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I love Tchaikovsky...my favorite is 1812 Overture with the real cannons. I once saw the Indianapolis Symphony Orechestra play it at a 4th of July event in Indy and the Indiana Natl Guard brought the cannons out and they played 1812 during the fireworks show....was an absolutely rivoting perfomance. The biggest goose bumps ever. Truly wonderful.

tim36

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No.2 in C minor is one of my favorites, I first heard this music when watching the 1996 World Championships and this music being skated to by Lu Chen of China, and I was mesmorized by it.

And in the same vein of course Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No 3, which I first heard and saw when Michelle Kwan skated her short program in the US Championships in 1998

(what can I say im exposed to classical music when I watch figure skating and its beautiful music)

tinytigger

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Anything by Gustav Mahler is at the top of the list but I also love Sergei Prokofiev, Ralph Vaughan Williams, Malcom Arnold and a number of other 20th century symphonists.

patro78

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
At the top, works by the three "Bs": Bach, Beethoven and Brahms.

Then Wagner, Mahler definitely (as above), and anything Baroque: Monteverdi, Vivaldi, Scarlatti, Geminiani.

At the moment, I am listening to as much Handel as I can, chiefly his operas. Currently have "Ariodante" on, with Les Musiciens du Louvre conducted by Marc Minkowski.

kennethmarkzamora

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
For me I have 2 that I am so in love with right now and I guess my all-time favorites..

1. Fantasia for violin and orchestra
2. Fantasie Impromptu by chopin

these are masterclass masterpieces. #bowdown #chills #goosebumps

patro78

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
For me I have 2 that I am so in love with right now and I guess my all-time favorites..

1. Fantasia for violin and orchestra
2. Fantasie Impromptu by chopin

these are masterclass masterpieces. #bowdown #chills #goosebumps

I know the Chopin, and share your enthusiasm for it!

Whose Fantasia are you referring to at 1? There are quite a few for violin and orchestra.

polarit

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Oh goodness. I've been on a Prokofiev train lately, particularly his Piano Concertos.
Shostakovich's Symphony #11 is probably my favorite piece overall, followed by Penderecki's Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima (not that it's enjoyable to listen to, but it's still a powerful work), Goldenthal's Fire, Water, Paper: A Vietnam Oratorio, and Carter's Concerto for Orchestra.