Best Horror movie !

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Many (most?) of the gorefests, I don't consider to be very scary at all. I would put a great many of them in the category of "exploitation" rather than "horror".
But, semantics...yawn...I know!

For me, a couple of "classics" reign supreme. Some may consider them old hat. I do not.

Rosemary's Baby is "classy creepy" to a degree that I consider genuinely masterful. Great script, wonderful casting, virtuoso perfomances, and direction that approaches perfection. There's not an ounce of gore in the film but it achieves a degree of horribleness that is almost unmatched. A "10".

The Exorcist is a film that I find completely fascinating. Throughout, it has that un-self-conscious melancholy aura that films from the 70's captured so well. Amongst a film full of great ones, Ellen Burstyn's performance (in conjunction with Blatty's story and Friedkin's direction) brings a humanity to the proceedings that translates into a realism that manages to legitimize the ultimately shocking and supernatural goings-on. Although at the time of its release it was considered outrageously gratuitous in it's portrayal of demonic horribleness, to me the filmmakers seem to have got it just right. I find its every move to be an essential step toward the truly brilliant climax.

For anyone who has not seen it, nor been spoiled of its charms(!) by exposure to its infamous elements, it offers a magnificently horrific viewing experience. I call it the greatest horror film ever. I once watched this alone on a foggy autumn evening in a Victorian row house in San Francisco and I've never been so scared in my life. I had to get out of the house and take a walk at midnight, just to find some other people to be around!

Horror films are an area where I cut more slack to the notion of subjectivity as relates to "greatness". But that's a topic for another day....

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Agree with SilverTrain on the classics: "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Exorcist".

I realize "No Country for Old Men" and "Saving Private Ryan" don't really count as horror films but there were horrific scenes in both that left me trembling (and I am rarely frightened by films).

Same goes for many scenes in "Jaws."

"Silence of the Lambs" is probably my top horror flick pick.

For camp, has anyone seen The People Under the Stairs? That was some freaky horror.

Last edited:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Nosferatu

The original Nosferatu, directed by FW Murnau in 1921 is creepy in a way that no contemporary slasher film can be, and it's a good, strong antidote to all those "sexy vampire" productions that are suddenly so hot again. You can smell the rot and decay, and the sense of menacing evil is palpable. It can be seen on YouTube here.

Werner Herzog redid it in 1979 with Klaus Kinski as the "vampyre". It's really interesting to see what the addition of color and sound adds to the experience, and what it does not.

The story of the filming of Nosferatu is the subject of Shadow Of The Vampire, made in 2000 and starring John Malkovitch and Willem DaFoe. It's a great movie and is played for (very dark) laughs.

Slasher horror is not my genre, though I've seen plenty. The only ones that really captured my fancy were the Scream series, which are really gory, really creepy and really funny. They are also very stylish.

The original Nosferatu, directed by FW Murnau in 1921 is creepy in a way that no contemporary slasher film can be, and it's a good, strong antidote to all those "sexy vampire" productions that are suddenly so hot again. You can smell the rot and decay, and the sense of menacing evil is palpable. It can be seen on YouTube here.

Werner Herzog redid it in 1979 with Klaus Kinski as the "vampyre". It's really interesting to see what the addition of color and sound adds to the experience, and what it does not.

The story of the filming of Nosferatu is the subject of Shadow Of The Vampire, made in 2000 and starring John Malkovitch and Willem DaFoe. It's a great movie and is played for (very dark) laughs.

Slasher horror is not my genre, though I've seen plenty. The only ones that really captured my fancy were the Scream series, which are really gory, really creepy and really funny. They are also very stylish.

Shadow of the Vampire is tremendous! That's a hilariously dark film and just plain brilliant. Dafoe's depiction of Schreck is equally amazing. I've got to find that movie on DVD.

The original Nosferatu is spectacular. My problem with the remake, done by the only director I'd trust to remake it, is that Kinski is wrong for the role. Kinski is too alive, too human, not undead enough. Schreck's performance is as close to undead as has ever been filmed and Shadow of the Vampire makes many references to Schreck's disturbing "idiosyncrasies."

captain garbonzo

Experimental Member
Media
Night Of The Living Dead is easily the scariest and that's the reason why it's being shown today on AMC. I have seen just about every horror movie ever made and this is still the creepiest. The trashy zombie movies being made today can't come close. More comical than scary.

OCMuscleJock

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
if you have to choose from that list...

I'd go with the classics...

Halloween 25 yr *at the bottom of the list*
and
The Evil Dead Ulitimate collection.

The first Halloween was/is one of the Best Horror movies ever made in that genre.

HOWEVER, the best Scary/Thriller movie of all time...IMO...is the origonal Alien. Back when scary movies had a purpose other than gore.

captain garbonzo

Experimental Member
Media
The 70s horror budget movies were the best and the scariest! Last House on the Left
That's one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I didn't find anything scary about it besides the terrible acting and editing and writing.

Some decent ones I have watched recently: Sam's Lake
House On Haunted Hill
Paranormal Activity- A sense of dread and anxiety throughout the entire film. Plus, the girl had some huge boobs.

captain garbonzo

Experimental Member
Media
if you have to choose from that list...

I'd go with the classics...

Halloween 25 yr *at the bottom of the list*
and
The Evil Dead Ulitimate collection.

The first Halloween was/is one of the Best Horror movies ever made in that genre.

HOWEVER, the best Scary/Thriller movie of all time...IMO...is the origonal Alien. Back when scary movies had a purpose other than gore.
Halloween is a classic that started the whole hack 'n slash genre but IMO it's a pretty bad movie overall watching it these days it's more cheesey than anything else. Night Of The Living Dead still holds up to this day. Alien is a great movie. Evil Dead the first one is great.

Night Of The Living Dead is just amazing and its beginning is perfect. There is such a sense of terror and dread through the whole thing that it makes you feel hopeless. I liked Dawn of the Dead for the same reason and loved its social commentary as well.

I think mindless shambling zombies are much scarier than running and intelligent zombies. The mindless shamblers seem more realistic plus I also think that knowing no matter how far you run, they're still coming for you is pretty damn scary.

Another of my faves is Salem's Lot. For a TV movie, it's really well done. I wish they'd made it as a theatrical movie so they didn't have to edit so much and spend just a little more money on it. The Master is one of the most chilling vampires ever to have graced the screen (and yes he was based on Nosferatu's Count Orlok).

Thanks for the tip about Night of the Living Dead being on AMC. I've just switched over to it.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Night Of The Living Dead is easily the scariest and that's the reason why it's being shown today on AMC. I have seen just about every horror movie ever made and this is still the creepiest. The trashy zombie movies being made today can't come close. More comical than scary.

I thought it was being shown because of technical reasons it fell into public domain.

the remake of DAWN OF THE DEAD, with the caffienated zombies has some grotesque moments, as does 28 DAYS LATER.

Still, mind bending SF/horror come with THEM, THE QUATERMASS EXPERIMENT, QUATERMASS AND THE PIT, CALTIKI THE IMMORTAL MONSTER, and ALIEN.

Still, CURSE OF THE DEMON and THE CAT PEOPLE are pretty good.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
I recently watched the original LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT. No one "wins", there are no lessons learned. There is only anger despair and abuse. The rapes are ugly, the people worse, and its a one way ride for everyone involved.

And the sound track is bad, and the acting can be barely called that.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Shadow of the Vampire is tremendous! That's a hilariously dark film and just plain brilliant. Dafoe's depiction of Schreck is equally amazing. I've got to find that movie on DVD.

The original Nosferatu is spectacular. My problem with the remake, done by the only director I'd trust to remake it, is that Kinski is wrong for the role. Kinski is too alive, too human, not undead enough. Schreck's performance is as close to undead as has ever been filmed and Shadow of the Vampire makes many references to Schreck's disturbing "idiosyncrasies."

No one was ever more undead than Max Schreck. The original Nosferatu owes all its creepiness to him. His performance is redolent of rot, decay and unspeakable malevolence.

Kijnksi's Orlok is sinister and depraved, hideous and loathsome but, you're right, not quite undead. But compared to Lugosi or any of the subsequent Draculas, he's still inordinately evil.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The sole horror film that's actually made me sit on the edge of my seat while covering my eyes is the first installment of the Alien series with Sigourney Weaver.

take it back...

The original 1960s Night of the Living Dead is one scary-ass film.

Hell now I've thought of another;

Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford in Mommie Dearest :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
In my opinion, The Exorcist is the scariest movie. I know it's been parodied several times, and maybe lost some of its shock value due to that, but given that it was released in 1973 this movie stands the test of time. I love 1970's horror movies. They had much more character development and moved at a slower pace that when something horrible happened it really hit you. But I have heard that Paranormal Activity is terrifying.