Best individual movie scene

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Wyldgusechaz, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

Denzel Washington *Glory* where he gets whipped for going AWol. He grabs the stockade defiantly with his back scarred from so many slave beatings, and I can feel him thinking * I will show these *men* how to take a flogging* since he had been beaten so much as a slave. Then he gets one tear to drop from his right eye, bites his lip in anguish, a sadness indescribable because he is beaten again, by the supposed good guys. Show stopping. Every other movie scene pales to this one.
    YouTube - GLORY=
    Another great scene is in the movie *Life is Beautiful* where the mean female guard slightly stumbles, her legs giving out, after watching so many innocents gassed. Even she, Miss Ice Queen is overwhelmed by all the death. That one scene tops all of Schindlers List.

2. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

This is a really hard question, there are so many great films, and so many individual great scenes. I think most people are going to go for a sad scene, those are the ones that stick in my mind at least.
    For me the scene in 'Sophie's Choice' where she's just got off the train, her little girl in her arms, her little boy holding on to her skirts, and the commandant grants her the 'favour' of choosing which of her children will live. I don't think any woman can even begin to think how she could make that choice, but I think we can all imagine how it would feel. I'm not a person who's easily upset by scenes in films, I'm all too aware they're acting but Meryl Streep acted that so perfectly it hit me in the guts like a wrecking ball.

3. submit452

Gold Member

Albums:
    Here's a funny one All of A Fish Called Wanda especially Wanda telling Otto that he's an insult to stupid people and that he's an ape.

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

"I am serious. And don't call me Shirley."

5. naughty

Gold Member

I am glad he brought up "Glory" As a reinactor my paths cross often with the men of the 54th. They actually were part of the film and served as consultants for the cast. Though I loved the whipping scene(Did I say that? ) This is my favorite scene. The impromptu "Go to Jesus" meeting the night before the battle at Fort Wagner where most of the 54th lost their lives in their search for freedom . Most of the men of the 54th were freemen of color who fought for the rights of their brothers in bondage.

YouTube - Glory (1989)=

THis is a scene from another of my favorite movies. I always loan this to people who think that beautiful people have no problems. It is called Malena and it is about a young war widow who suffers mightily at the hands of her townspeople for the mere crime of being beautiful in War torn Sicily at the end of WWII. Starring Monica Bellucci as Malena.

YouTube - Malena=

6. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I can think of a few...

* Comedy: A tie: The scene in "Ghostbusters" when the Stay-Puft marshmellow giant flattens sections of Manhattan....or...the Laden African Swallow scene in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"

* Drama: When Chris O'Donell confronts and faces down a suicidal/homicidal Al Pacino in "Scent of a Woman."

* Action: When Steve McQueen attempts to escape Nazi Germany with a dramatic motorcycle jump over a barbed wire fence in "The Great Escape."

* Romance: Richard Gere sweeps Debra Winger off her feet and out of a life of factory work in the closing scenes "An Officer and a Gentlemen."

* Adventure: Russell Crowe audaciously steers his damaged frigate straight into an Atlantic gale under full sail in pursuit of a French foe in "Master and Commander."

* Western: Clint Eastwood squares off against Eli Wallach and Lee Van Cleef in a three way quick-draw for all the money in the final scenes of "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly."

* War: Toshiro Mifune somberly leaves a group of Japanese Imperial Navy officers celebrating the victory at Pearl Harber and wanders the deck of his flagship alone in the closing scenes of "Tora, Tora, Tora."

7. naughty

Gold Member

8. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Absolutely - and what about Rod Steiger's 'revolution' speech in Fistful of Dynamite (YouTube - A Fistful Of Dynamite - The Revolution Speech - A Lesson)

"The people who read the books go to the people who can't read the books, the poor people, and say we have to have a change. So the poor people make the change, huh? And then the people who read the books they all sit around the big polished tables, and they talk and talk and talk and eat and eat and eat, huh? But what has happened to the poor people? ... They are DEAD! That's your Revolution"

Brilliant - Rod Steiger has to be one of the all time best actors. He goes from comic to intense, like in this scene, to tragic. He's genius. This film too is often overlooked, but I think it's better than Once Upon a Time in America, certainly better than Once Upon a Time in the West and it rivals the 'man with no name' triology, in my book anyway.

9. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
  10. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Steel Magnolias (and it's "Drink your juice, Shelby", sorry)

11. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

The Sophie's Choice scene was damn good.

12. fratpack

Gold Member

Albums:
    okay this appeals to the romantic in me.

In "Cinema Paradiso" at the end of the film when we finally see all the clips of people kissing, the director sits in the old theatre he worked in as a child and his eyes well up with the memories and that wonderful theme plays in the background.

"Out of Africa" - Meryl Streep and Robert Redford are in the plane flying over the Masai in Kenya, John Williams score plays and Meryl reaches back to grab Redford's hand.

Then there is the scene in "The King and I", the "Shall We Dance" number. Deborah Kerr (Anna) teaches the King (Yul Brenner) how to waltz. The music swells and they dance their way around the room...pure magic. Then the gong stops the dance at the perfect moment and the tone of the scenes shifts instantly.

13. datdude

datdude New Member

Depends on my age and point in my life.

Lets see
    12 years old: Porky's shower spy scene.
    16 Years old. Endless summer 2/ Whole Movie
    18 years old: Rounders Movie in General

ALL TIME FROM DOCTOR STRANGE LOVE: You cant fight in here! Its the war Room!

14. ramwella

ramwella Member

I'm probably going to have to turn in my "guy card" for answering this, but it's from "Steel Magnolias", Sally Field (MaeLynn) said it to Julia Roberts (Shelby) during an epilepsy attack.

And yeah, I happen to be a closet chick-flick watcher.

15. ramwella

ramwella Member

The most powerful romantic scene is from a scene in "The Bridges of Madison County".
    While her husband and children are out of town, Meryl Streep's character has a brief, but steamy affair with a photo-journalist (Clint Eastwood) who is passing through town.

Toward the end of the movie, Streep sees Eastwood as he is about to leave town for good, but she can't say anything to him b/c she is in the truck with her husband.
    Eastwood sees her and makes a discreet gesture from his rearview mirror.
    Streep is about to make a decision that decides the course of her life forever.

The scene is so intensely romantic. It's about 5 minutes long and there's very little dialogue. In fact, Streep and Eastwood don't say anything at all.
    A real chick-flick. My girlfriend and I made love that night after the movies!

16. naughty

Gold Member

Sweet one,

Shelby was having a diabetic episode. Her blood glucose had dropped dangerously low and she was having a problem. That was the reason for the orange juice.

17. Full_Phil

Full_Phil New Member

Ditto on the "Sophie's Choice" scene, but my all-time favorite is Oprah Winfrey coming out of her stupor at the dinner table in "The Color Purple", followed in close second place by the scene in the same movie when "Shug" (sp?) Avery leads the procession from Harpo's to the church for the reconciliation with her father.

18. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    The BIG courtroom scene in John water's FemaLE TROUBLE!!!

19. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    In Metropolis, after Freder and Rotwang fight and Rotwang dies, Maria and Freder find each other and Joh and Grot are united via Freder's mediation.
    I cry every time I see it.

"The heart must mediate between the hands and the brain".

20. Blocko

Blocko Member

Almost every scene in "O Brother, where art thou?" was my favourite scene. A simply fantastic movie.

But I think the scenes with John Goodman, especially the scene where he beats Clooney under the tree is my favourite... just to see pretty boy Clooney get whacked in the face.

Draft saved Draft deleted