Best kept secrets...

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...or perhaps they're not the BEST kept secrets but there are still some people out there that don't know about them:

1. Starbucks has a size smaller than the Tall that is not listed on their menu. It is called the Short.

"The short cappuccino has the same amount of espresso as the 12-ounce tall, meaning a bolder coffee taste, and also a better one."

http://www.slate.com/id/2133754/?nav=tap3

2. You can order an burger at In N Out - Protein Style, and they'll give you a burger with 2 pieces of lettuce instead of the buns. They also have Animal Style, Wish, 3x3, and others: http://www.zenlemur.com/innout.shtml

3. You can order Firecracker Shrimp at PF Chang's and it's a tasty and spicey shrimp dish that used to be on the menu, no longer is, but is still served.

B_Danceswithlamps

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
OOOOOOOOO!! TexAss, you are soooo awsome! That starbucks thing is going to save me ooodles of money!!!!

I really don't have any, but I will try to find one for you!!!

(hey, could you edit out the starbucks secret? the more people that know, the more it will be advertised! huh? huh! :D:D) :yourock:!!!!!

B_caneadea

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
SpeedoGuy said:
Didn't know that about Starbucks. Will check it out next time...

My little known secret: Did LPSG readers know that the word "gullible" is not in the dictionary?

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
caneadea said:

Ever feel like you just fell for a cheap joke, caneadea? :rolleyes:

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This may not rate "secret" but the best way to get a more edible meal on a major airline when you're not in first class is to insist that you have a restricted diet (such as vegetarian for example, although some might see that as a worse option :rolleyes: ) and some airlines will prepare a meal that is quite fresh — not from the usual assembly line fare.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
rawbone8 said:
This may not rate "secret" but the best way to get a more edible meal on a major airline when you're not in first class is to insist that you have a restricted diet (such as vegetarian for example, although some might see that as a worse option :rolleyes: ) and some airlines will prepare a meal that is quite fresh — not from the usual assembly line fare.
I tried that, since I travel a lot and eat a lot of airline food (mainly out of boredom). After a while, I decided against it, because...
  1. I mainly travel abroad, and the food is better on non-US airlines (though there are exceptions)
  2. The Low Fat Meal is always a grilled chicken breast. Always.
  3. The Lacto-ovo vegetarian meal is always vegetable lasagne. Always.
  4. 2 and 3 are as crappy as the mainstream fare.
  5. The clincher. A special meal in your profile thwarts your chances of an upgrade. In a 200 seat economy cabin, they'll throw on a couple of extra meals for last-minute bookings from vegetarians or the carb conscious. In a 30-seat business cabin, where the food is more expensive, they are unlikely to have odd meals to spare just-in-case. So, lest you be forced to make a health-endangering change to your diet (for which some ingrate is bound to sue), you stay in steerage.
I wish I had some hip travellers' secrets to pass on, but alas, nowadays all the good scams have been tightened up. The only thing I can really pass on is that a recent edition of The Economist says you get more bang for your buck cashing in frequent flyer miles for trips between London and New York than for almost any other route. I read that, smugly, on a flight to New York from London for which I had paid in frequent-flyer miles. Crappy lasagne, though.

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
headbang8 said:
I tried that, since I travel a lot and eat a lot of airline food (mainly out of boredom). After a while, I decided against it, because...
  1. I mainly travel abroad, and the food is better on non-US airlines (though there are exceptions)
  2. The Low Fat Meal is always a grilled chicken breast. Always.
  3. The Lacto-ovo vegetarian meal is always vegetable lasagne. Always.
  4. 2 and 3 are as crappy as the mainstream fare.
  5. The clincher. A special meal in your profile thwarts your chances of an upgrade. In a 200 seat economy cabin, they'll throw on an extra couple of extra meals for last-minute bookings from vegetarians or the carb conscious. In a 30-seat business cabin, where the food is more expensive, they are unlikely to have odd meals to spare just-in-case. So, lest you be forced to make a health-endangering change to your diet (for which some ingrate is bound to sue), you stay in steerage.
I wish I had some hip travellers' secrets to pass on, but alas, nowadays all the good scams have been tightened up. The only thing I can really pass on is that a recent edition of The Economist says you get more bang for your buck cashing in frequent flyer miles for trips between London and New York than for almost any other route. I read that, smugly, on a flight to New York from London for which I had paid in frequent-flyer miles. Crappy lasagne, though.
I once asked for a Kosher meal because I thought it would be better. WRONG!

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
TexAssgirl said:
...or perhaps they're not the BEST kept secrets but there are still some people out there that don't know about them:

1. Starbucks has a size smaller than the Tall that is not listed on their menu. It is called the Short.

"The short cappuccino has the same amount of espresso as the 12-ounce tall, meaning a bolder coffee taste, and also a better one."

http://www.slate.com/id/2133754/?nav=tap3

2. You can order an burger at In N Out - Protein Style, and they'll give you a burger with 2 pieces of lettuce instead of the buns. They also have Animal Style, Wish, 3x3, and others: http://www.zenlemur.com/innout.shtml

3. You can order Firecracker Shrimp at PF Chang's and it's a tasty and spicey shrimp dish that used to be on the menu, no longer is, but is still served.
When did PF Changs take Firecracker Shrimp off the menu? We have none out here in the middle of the Pacific (PF Changs).

Xii

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I don't know why but I love airplane food. There's a best kept secret I bet none of you knew :)

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
rawbone8 said:

I take the opposite approach. As soon as the 'meal' (I use the term loosely) is over, I request a 'comments form' (because obviously the word 'complaint' has been outlawed in this day and age) and spend 10 minutes filling it out to say how bad the meal was. So far, I have received six $50 vouchers from various airlines thanks to doing this, and what else would I have done with those 10 minutes in the air? (the question is rhetorical, and all remarks relating to the mile-high club are herewith stomped upon). :cool:

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Xii said:
I don't know why but I love airplane food. There's a best kept secret I bet none of you knew :)

That's even more disturbing than knowing how thoroughly you wipe, to be honest :tongue:

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
alex8 said:
I take the opposite approach. As soon as the 'meal' (I use the term loosely) is over, I request a 'comments form' (because obviously the word 'complaint' has been outlawed in this day and age) and spend 10 minutes filling it out to say how bad the meal was. So far, I have received six $50 vouchers from various airlines thanks to doing this, and what else would I have done with those 10 minutes in the air? (the question is rhetorical, and all remarks relating to the mile-high club are herewith stomped upon). :cool:

You know, I have NEVER got anything more than a letter of apology for any complaint I have made--and I've had cause to make a few, since I fly so much. Once, on British Airways, the purser asked me to fill out a customer satisfaction survey. I did, went to sleep, and when I woke up, she was hovering over me and started arguing with my answers! Qantas, which monopolises so many of its routes, is among the least apologetic airlines. Even to me, one of their gilt-edged, one-world emerald types. I think the higher you climb in such frequent flier programs, the more an airline knows it has you by the balls and can take you for granted.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
headbang8 said:
You know, I have NEVER got anything more than a letter of apology for any complaint I have made--and I've had cause to make a few, since I fly so much. Once, on British Airways, the purser asked me to fill out a customer satisfaction survey. I did, went to sleep, and when I woke up, she was hovering over me and started arguing with my answers! Qantas, which monopolises so many of its routes, is among the least apologetic airlines. Even to me, one of their gilt-edged, one-world emerald types. I think the higher you climb in such frequent flier programs, the more an airline knows it has you by the balls.
Ewww... so far I have had vouchers from British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and Lufthansa (all Transatlantic flights). And I promise that I never slept with any of the airline staff to achieve this! Two possible reasons why it might have worked: (i) the food was utterly abominable, so they couldn't argue with me :biggrin1:; and (ii) I have always gotten others I'm traveling with to complain as well, so that it isn't an isolated complaint.

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
alex8 said:
Ewww... so far I have had vouchers from British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and Lufthansa (all Transatlantic flights). And I promise that I never slept with any of the airline staff to achieve this! Two possible reasons why it might have worked: (i) the food was utterly abominable, so they couldn't argue with me :biggrin1:; and (ii) I have always gotten others I'm traveling with to complain as well, so that it isn't an isolated complaint.

I'm sorry but I have to say it...this is creepy and reminds me of my career in fine dining where people would complain just to get free food. A few drops of Visene did wonders. One waiter stuck the soup spoon up his ass before serving the soup. I could go on ad nauseum. Be careful what you complain about. People get fired.

Stursberg

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
TexAssgirl 1. Starbucks has a size smaller than the Tall that is not listed on their menu. It is called the Short. 2. You can order an burger at In N Out - Protein Style said:
You can get the "sausage sandwich plate" that's been taken off the menu at Bob Evans as well. Best meal they ever had!

B_horribleperson

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i dont know about the rest of you but when i fly to europe i fly first class on British Airways or Alitalia and ive never had a problem with the food. if you guys would stop thinking of it as a 5star meal and more like a burger from McDeath then you will be happy with what you get.

also Hooters Airline is the best airline