Best Places to Live in the World...

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I'm always amused by the criteria used to come up with these "best places to live" rankings.

They're almost always big cities. :rolleyes:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
no need to apologize. while I missed that detail it only shows NY was used as a base point and any city could have been chosen.

And Honolulu, the highest ranked US city came in at 31. sad!

The slideshow didn't list the actual score, just the rank, of the cities pictured. I assumed that somewhere in the top 20 a score would begin to slip below 100 but was mistaken.

FWIW, it seems that the people responsible for this list seem to really like German-speaking places: really really like 'em. That in and of itself waved a red flag in my face. Without ever actually having been to Germany or Austria I have no point of comparison to make between, say, Dusseldorf and Paris or Barcelona, but I still think I'd be tempted to disagree with its findings.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The best city in the world in which to live depends on what one wants. The best city for one person would not necessarily be the best city for another person.

There is also something to be said for political and economic stability. Although we do have our problems here in the U.S., our country is one of the most stable in the world.

If one likes good weather, one could argue that San Diego is the best city in the U.S. I lived there from 1978 to 2004 and the only reason I didn't return there after living in Fiji from 1994 to 2004 is that housing prices became outrageous. But for people who can afford it, surely it is one of the best places in the U.S, although that could change because of the economic problems being faced by California.

Some surveys rate Sydney very high. I've been there several times and would not want to live there. It's far too big and getting around is too time consuming.

Surveys ranking cities make interesting reading, but I would not recommend making decisions based on them.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I love my hometown of San Diego :biggrin1:
The best city in the world in which to live depends on what one wants. The best city for one person would not necessarily be the best city for another person.

If one likes good weather, one could argue that San Diego is the best city in the U.S. . . .
Was one of the most liveable cities in the U.S., until it was overrun by people migrating there from the East with their aggressive assholeish attitudes. I lived there on and off over a period of 30 years, during which the population doubled, traffic became a nightmare, and the infrastructure crumbled - turning it essentially into LA.

Still, I was always amused when it was beat out on "most liveable city" surveys by . . . . Pittsburgh??? :eek:

D

deleted3782

This just makes me fantasize even more about moving to a new place and starting over. Most of those cities are great. Sydney and Melbourne, in particular.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
If they listed small towns, they wouldn't be able to handle the hypothetical influx of new residents.
Thank god for that! I always thought it was funny when people in the West all wanted to move into undeveloped natural areas, then complained about the lack of goods and services, then complained about the pesky wildlife e.g. coyotes, deer, cougars, wolves and bears, then complained that all the people moving in had ruined the "wilderness". :rolleyes:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The slideshow didn't list the actual score, just the rank, of the cities pictured. I assumed that somewhere in the top 20 a score would begin to slip below 100 but was mistaken.

FWIW, it seems that the people responsible for this list seem to really like German-speaking places: really really like 'em. That in and of itself waved a red flag in my face. Without ever actually having been to Germany or Austria I have no point of comparison to make between, say, Dusseldorf and Paris or Barcelona, but I still think I'd be tempted to disagree with its findings.
I do. Dusseldörf is very boring except for the 1 week Karneval in February. You can freeze your ass off and getting stinking drunk in the streets with thousands of loud krazy Germans. All there is to do for the rest of the year is go to the Altstadt and drink quality beer with smaller crowds. They do have some good concerts at LTU Arena. Or you can stroll along the Rhine and watch the barges go by...

All those top German cities are pretty much boring except for Berlin and Hamburg. This is why citizens of the Federal Republic are, in terms of percentage of time spent abroad measured against the whole population, the most travelled nation on earth.

The best thing I can say for Dusseldörf and Frankfurt is that they have good airports with many flights to better places.

Last edited: