Best Places to Live in the World...

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Eh, San Diego is getting better. It's not quite L.A. yet
You're right, I should be more clear. SD 2000 = LA 1980, SD 2010 = LA 1995, so still not to the same level of urban atrocity, but closing the gap. I spent 16 hrs total living in LA before fleeing to San Diego, and once there, I thought I'd never leave. You may not be fully aware of how great it was before. By the time you were old enough to be conscious, much less out driving and out fending for yourself, it was already paradise lost. For those of us who were there when it was just about as perfect as could be, it's just sad. Still, I concede, it is probably the most liveable U.S. city of comparable size, all things considered. Personally though, I've just had enough of big cities.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Personally, I wouldn't rate Dusseldorf or Frankfurt highly enough to be on the list, but I've only visited them rather than lived there. I'm surprised Hamburg wasn't in the top ten, but maybe times have changed since I was last there. The nightlife in Brussels isn't as good as Hamburg, but it has a lot of other things to recommend it. I'd put Sydney and Barcelona on a par and would drop Paris to below Barcelona's ranking.
The thing is these are all subjective and what one person loves is anathema to someone else.

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
It seems that to come to an LPSG consensus we need to conduct a serious study on this topic. I propose that we choose a select group of members to undertake a comprehensive evaluation and then get various LPSGers to open up their homes for us to visit and sample their cities.

So I vote we start the party, oops I meant study, in Honolulu...I promise, I'm very well behaved nudeyorker:)

Sydney is great, but it's been a while since I sampled it's delights. Anyone from there?

Dublin is a must (purely for study purposes and not because of my crush on hilaire)

Vince your boat looks nice but where is it moored?

Anyone from Fiji?

Somewhere in Canada with great skiing.

Los Angeles is a must - thanks Slurper.

Then all back to mine in London.

Any takers?

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You're right, I should be more clear. SD 2000 = LA 1980, SD 2010 = LA 1995, so still not to the same level of urban atrocity, but closing the gap. I spent 16 hrs total living in LA before fleeing to San Diego, and once there, I thought I'd never leave. You may not be fully aware of how great it was before. By the time you were old enough to be conscious, much less out driving and out fending for yourself, it was already paradise lost. For those of us who were there when it was just about as perfect as could be, it's just sad. Still, I concede, it is probably the most liveable U.S. city of comparable size, all things considered. Personally though, I've just had enough of big cities.

I disagree. L.A. 1995 was smog smog smog, traffic traffic traffic, with cop beatings daily, etc. Unless you live in the suburbs, traffic in San Diego is OK. We have one of the highest freeway miles per resident of any big city. I live in North Park and work in Mission Valley, so no endless driving of the freeways. Plus, I know the back streets like I know the back of my hand. I can walk to the bars, grocery stores, restuarants, etc. I love where I live. The mass transit is OK during the week for getting to and from work, but it could use a lot of improvements for getting around for daily chores. They're in the final planning stages for an Old Town to UCSD/University City light rail extension, and planning an SDSU to Downtown light rail-like express bus line via El Cajon Blvd/Park Blvd. I'm 10 minutes to the beaches, a 10 minute walk to Balboa Park, 15 minutes to the US/Mexico border, 40 minutes to the mountains, an hour to the desert. Life is good :)

btmboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
UK cities sucked hard in this list, brilliant. London, 39... What a joke.

I think smaller cities are often much nicer than any of these anyway. York in England for example - stunning city!

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I propose that we choose a select group of members to undertake a comprehensive evaluation and then get various LPSGers to open up their homes for us to visit and sample their cities.

Don't forget little old San Diego! Can I pick who comes to my house? I have a few ideas! :biggrin1:

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As for L.A., I have a deep dislike for the city, having lived there for my first two years of college. It's too big and too congested. The air pollution can make your eyes water and your lungs burn. Denver is a fabulous city BTW, very clean and well-organized.

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Count me in curious_angel! I can sleep up to six guests as long as some of you don't mind sharing beds with each other!:tongue:

Great! sunblock - check, sunglasses - check, laptop for recording serious study notes of Honolulu pros and cons - check...

I'm pretty sure that the optimum group size for this type of serious study would be eight. How convenient that you can accommodate exactly that number:)

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
It seems that to come to an LPSG consensus we need to conduct a serious study on this topic. I propose that we choose a select group of members to undertake a comprehensive evaluation and then get various LPSGers to open up their homes for us to visit and sample their cities.

So I vote we start the party, oops I meant study, in Honolulu...I promise, I'm very well behaved nudeyorker:)

Sydney is great, but it's been a while since I sampled it's delights. Anyone from there?

Dublin is a must (purely for study purposes and not because of my crush on hilaire)

Vince your boat looks nice but where is it moored?

Anyone from Fiji?

Somewhere in Canada with great skiing.

Los Angeles is a must - thanks Slurper.

Then all back to mine in London.

Any takers?
Sounds good to me. But the boat is in Amalfi near Capri and I'm not! But you all are welcome to party in Istanbul or relax in the south on the beach. :smile:

OR.. we could host a ski weekend at Whistler. The cabin is very tiny and cozy, and the sleeping arrangements are tight. :cool:

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sounds good to me. But the boat is in Amalfi near Capri and I'm not! But you all are welcome to party in Istanbul or relax in the south on the beach. :smile:

I'm not sure where you got the idea that this was all about partying?! This is purely for research purposes so that we can publish an LPSG best cities guide (quite possibly a best seller).

OR.. we could host a ski weekend at Whistler. The cabin is very tiny and cozy, and the sleeping arrangements are tight. :cool:

Sleep is for losers. Whistler it is.

Last edited: