Best Places to Live in the World...

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Was one of the most liveable cities in the U.S., until it was overrun by people migrating there from the East with their aggressive assholeish attitudes. I lived there on and off over a period of 30 years, during which the population doubled, traffic became a nightmare, and the infrastructure crumbled - turning it essentially into LA.

Still, I was always amused when it was beat out on "most liveable city" surveys by . . . . Pittsburgh??? :eek:

All of this is true, Giant Maxcox, but one can always hide comfortably and well in La Jolla. :smile:

I'm amused that Barcelona shows up somewhere around 100+ on the list. In my opinion this is a good thing. It helps discourage (mostly English-speaking) folks from thinking about moving to the city. I'm also pleased not to see Buenos Aires (which has it's outlying Hell hole neighborhood/cities) and Porto Alegre (Portuguese is too hard to learn for most, I suppose) which are amazing, ultra-modern, and very unique cities in the Southern Hemisphere. Yeah, some white folks created those two lists of "best cities" for other white folks who can't be bothered with living somewhere the majority of the population does not already speaks some dialect of English. I'm not being racist, mind you. Just practical.

Last edited:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
It seems that to come to an LPSG consensus we need to conduct a serious study on this topic. I propose that we choose a select group of members to undertake a comprehensive evaluation and then get various LPSGers to open up their homes for us to visit and sample their cities.

So I vote we start the party, oops I meant study, in Honolulu...I promise, I'm very well behaved nudeyorker:)

Sydney is great, but it's been a while since I sampled it's delights. Anyone from there?

Dublin is a must (purely for study purposes and not because of my crush on hilaire)

Vince your boat looks nice but where is it moored?

Anyone from Fiji?

Somewhere in Canada with great skiing.

Los Angeles is a must - thanks Slurper.

Then all back to mine in London.

Any takers?

Canada, yes. Definitely yes.

Honolulu yes.

Sydney, never ever ever ever in a million years!

I think Vince is in Turkey, yes yes yes yes yes!!

Fiji, meh.

Los Angeles, I'm two minds about, I'd prefer San Fran.

Dublin, well you guys are all welcome, I'll show ya around, we'll have lots of fun. :wink:

How about some of my favourites too? Rome, Madrid, Tokyo, Tunis, Istanbul. I'd love to go to Beinos Aires, and Sao Paolo, and I hear amazing things about Moscow from some friends of mine who live there. Do we gots any members from any of these places we can all descend on like a hurricane of dong?

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
This is looking better and better :biggrin1:. So in the name of LPSG research we have a good looking itinerary. Starting with:

Honolulu with nudeyorker + 1
plus hilaire, me
space for 4 more!

followed by:

Istanbul with Vince
hilaire, me
How many more spaces Vince?+nudeyorker

San Diego with TomCat

Dublin with hilaire +nudeyorker

Whistler with Vince +nudeyorker

London with me +nudeyorker

Moscow with hilaire's friends nudeyorker is a maybe here.

Even though Vince isn't there, it would be rude if we didn't check out his boat in Capri.nudeyorker is in on this caper in Capri!

Now we need some other keen researchers and generous LPSGers for:

Rome
Madrid
Tokyo
Buenos Aires
Sao Paolo

You're on your own for Tunis, hilaire

Do we gots any members from any of these places we can all descend on like a hurricane of dong?

Now I feel inadequate :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
This is looking better and better :biggrin1:. So in the name of LPSG research we have a good looking itinerary. Starting with:

Honolulu with nudeyorker + 1
plus hilaire, me
space for 4 more!

followed by:

Istanbul with Vince
hilaire, me
How many more spaces Vince?+nudeyorker

San Diego with TomCat

Dublin with hilaire +nudeyorker

Whistler with Vince +nudeyorker

London with me +nudeyorker

Moscow with hilaire's friends nudeyorker is a maybe here.

Even though Vince isn't there, it would be rude if we didn't check out his boat in Capri.nudeyorker is in on this caper in Capri!

Now we need some other keen researchers and generous LPSGers for:

Rome
Madrid
Tokyo
Buenos Aires
Sao Paolo

You're on your own for Tunis, hilaire

Now I feel inadequate :rolleyes:

OK well you can be an honorary dong for the duration, we'll give you measurements and a fake LPSG gallery and everything, we can pose you with a strap on, it'll be fun. :tongue:

I'll do Whistler and San Diego.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
OK well you can be an honorary dong for the duration, we'll give you measurements and a fake LPSG gallery and everything, we can pose you with a strap on, it'll be fun. :tongue:

I'll do Whistler and San Diego.

With a cock like that, you can come to San Diego and do ME. :biggrin1:

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I disagree. L.A. 1995 was smog smog smog, traffic traffic traffic, with cop beatings daily, etc. Unless you live in the suburbs, traffic in San Diego is OK. . . . . I'm 10 minutes to the beaches, a 10 minute walk to Balboa Park, 15 minutes to the US/Mexico border, 40 minutes to the mountains, an hour to the desert. Life is good :)
I agree with that first bit, and like you I lived mostly in the center city - Hillcrest, Bankers Hill, Mission Hills, South Park. It's all pretty good, as long as you don't have to go far. Unfortunately, my business took me to clients all over the county, so the traffic was impossible to avoid.

Ten minutes to any beach on average seems a bit understated. Mission Beach? (ick) But the mountains and deserts? Absolutely! The Anza-Borrego was my antidote to urbanity and my temple. A few days there or a few hours at Black's were what recharged me and kept me sane.

All of this is true, Giant Maxcox, but one can always hide comfortably and well in La Jolla. :smile:
As long as one never leaves the Village (see above). The 92037 zip now covers vast tracts of condos, shopping centers and business parks, which drives the snotty real La Jollans crazy. For my money, I'll take Del Mar, and I ultimately did.

curious angel- I'll take you to Blacks Beach- San Diego's very own famous nude beach
Still the best thing about the city, imho. :biggrin1:

Give me wide open spaces anyday. I like cities, but I'll never live in one full time.
I've come to that point too. Live in the peaceful green hills with a decent city in easy reach.

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View

:biggrin1: I'm excited. An honorary dong, no less! I need at least an 8" strap on though. Otherwise I will continue to feel inadequate.

With a cock like that, you can come to San Diego and do ME. :biggrin1:
OK so I'm booking some tickets right now... :biggrin1::eek::biggrin1:

TomCat, it looks like I will be spending a lot of time at the nudist beach on my own. Just show me the way :smile:.

Come to think of it...I'm not sure I've fully thought through this research trip. Any guys that have a thing for ladies interested in hosting or helping me with the research? I promise I will hide the strap on while you're there.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I disagree. L.A. 1995 was smog smog smog, traffic traffic traffic, with cop beatings daily, etc. Unless you live in the suburbs, traffic in San Diego is OK. We have one of the highest freeway miles per resident of any big city. I live in North Park and work in Mission Valley, so no endless driving of the freeways. Plus, I know the back streets like I know the back of my hand. I can walk to the bars, grocery stores, restuarants, etc. I love where I live. The mass transit is OK during the week for getting to and from work, but it could use a lot of improvements for getting around for daily chores. They're in the final planning stages for an Old Town to UCSD/University City light rail extension, and planning an SDSU to Downtown light rail-like express bus line via El Cajon Blvd/Park Blvd. I'm 10 minutes to the beaches, a 10 minute walk to Balboa Park, 15 minutes to the US/Mexico border, 40 minutes to the mountains, an hour to the desert. Life is good :)

I lived in San Diego from 1978 to 1994. From 1983 to 1994 I lived in North Park and worked in a northern suburb. Because I drove in the opposite direction of the rush hour traffic, it wasn't bad, especially since I got to work half an hour early (7:30 instead of 8:00) and left half an hour early to avoid times when the traffic was at his heaviest.

One of the problems in San Diego is that developers are permitted to build large shopping centers, residential areas, etc., without considering whether the roads can handle the additional traffic. The result is that some areas are best avoided because of horrendous traffic jams. University City, and especially the University City shopping center, are good examples of where the traffic is insufferable. Sometimes one can walk faster than the traffic moves.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Come to think of it...I'm not sure I've fully thought through this research trip. Any guys that have a thing for ladies interested in hosting or helping me with the research? I promise I will hide the strap on while you're there.

[Raises hand (and other appendage)]

And let's go back to the post about the bikinis......

I know a lot of good beaches in Hawaii, the West Coast, the East Coast...

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media
Well the list writers got one thing right, creating such a list gets people talking about it. How can you rate a city as a whole? Cities are so idiosyncratic, the experience of living in one neighborhood can be completely different from another. It's not as if living in Soho is the same as the Upper East Side, Park Slope, or Washington Heights... I like the top pic, Vienna, but find it dull. Parts of LA are great, but as a whole, yuck. San Diego has great weather, but north country traffic blows. Tokyo is exciting, but crowded; this applies to many, many cities. Istanbul, SF, NY, Paris, Barcelona and Amsterdam are favs, but I only know certain areas well. Loved Bangalore before the tech boom. The bottom line comes down to the people. Travel a lot and make friends where ever you go, then you'll almost always have a good time where ever you are.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I lived in San Diego from 1978 to 1994. From 1983 to 1994 I lived in North Park and worked in a northern suburb. Because I drove in the opposite direction of the rush hour traffic, it wasn't bad, especially since I got to work half an hour early (7:30 instead of 8:00) and left half an hour early to avoid times when the traffic was at his heaviest.

One of the problems in San Diego is that developers are permitted to build large shopping centers, residential areas, etc., without considering whether the roads can handle the additional traffic. The result is that some areas are best avoided because of horrendous traffic jams. University City, and especially the University City shopping center, are good examples of where the traffic is insufferable. Sometimes one can walk faster than the traffic moves.

University City is awful. They need to straighten out the railroad and tunnel underneath it- adding a station at UTC. Like I mentioned earlier, SANDAG is planning an extension of the Trolley from Old Town up the 5- with 2 stops at UCSD and another one at UTC mall. Should help with some of the traffic issues.

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
[Raises hand (and other appendage)]

And let's go back to the post about the bikinis......

I know a lot of good beaches in Hawaii, the West Coast, the East Coast...

Mr ST, you can help with me with my research any day :biggrin1: I'm not sure which bikinis to take on our trip. Do you know any bikini experts?