Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The simple truth is that the cities that made the Mercer top of the list this year do have outstanding urban services and amenities that make it interesting and convenient to live there. They have stable government, excellent public transit, great hospitals and schools, lots of nature nearby, few natural disasters to contend with and, to be quite honest, little political interference from religious extremists or "reformist" nutjobs. Just nice, steady progress.

I'm very pleased, but not surprised, that my one favorite city in the world made the top 5. My criteria are all the ones that the Mercer study used, plus a few that my lifestyle demands: a worldclass airport; nonstop flights to London (nonnegotiable) and most major US cities; most federal government services, including a passport office and plenty of embassies or consulates; real change of seasons (warm summers, heaps of autumn leaves, maybe some snow, and tons of spring flowers); moderate climate (no more than 30° C temp swing from coldest day to hottest day); nude beaches; hot guys, in my eyes a byproduct of lots of outdoor sports opportunities; mountains; abundant water with tides; and social progressiveness (universal healthcare, reasonable gun laws, sensible drug laws, discouragement of circumcision, marriage equality, and consistent parking laws not based on archaic church coercion). Cost of living is much less an issue for my partner and me than are enlightened housing and social policies.

Interesting that Vienna topped the list. I'll be there for 2 weeks next month, so I'll have a chance to check out its good points.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
I'm a bit funny about cleanliness. Yes, big cities are never clean, but some are much dirtier than others.

I don't think any place is as clean as Japan.

Would cleanliness in itself make me move somewhere? No. But it's a factor I must consider.

When I lived in Paris, the dog @#$$%^ made me so sick, particularly when it was raining. It made the city reek of it (I lost the desire to eat). Yes, the city is stunning, but that is a big negative.

So many fabulous places to visit.

Turkey, Japan, Austria, Germany, Iceland, Russia, Québec City, and Maine are at the top of my list now (Of course, I'd go to France anytime).

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Honestly, the last two times I was in Paris I saw no dogshit at all. Not that I was looking for it.. but there you go. When I first when there in 1979, and in the 90's yeah you'd see the piles around but it was (and is) such a fabulous place that who cares? If you go traveling and you let those kind of things cramp your time, then I feel sorry for you.

That Mercer list doesn't reflect my taste in cities. Except for Vancouver of course!

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
So many fabulous places to visit.

Turkey, Japan, Austria, Germany, Iceland, Russia, Québec City, and Maine are at the top of my list now (Of course, I'd go to France anytime).

My mom's from a small town called Old Town, ME (think of the canoes), and I spent at least one summer month there with my grandparents every year until I was about 14, plus many, many Thanksgivings and Easters. In a way, I feel as though I was partially raised there and have seen every part of the state except the extreme North-East (Aroostook county).

It's best right along the coast, unless you're looking for real wilderness. Bar Harbor and Ogunquit have reputations as being destinations, and are lovely, but might seem quiet if you're expecting anything like Rockport (MA) or P-Town. Portland is a very gracious smallish city with decent accommodations and dining and some of the only really gay nightlife in the state. Old Orchard Beach's glory days were decades ago and the last time I visited (about nine years ago now) it was really forlorn.

Route 1 is the main drag from Kittery all the way to Eastport, It can be extremely congested at least as far as Ellsworth but is the best way to see such places as Wiscasset, which is justly famous for its quality and beauty. The Maine Turnpike (Route 95), especially north of Portland, is just a lot of pine trees and is perhaps the most monotonous, long drive I've ever endured in my life.

My grandparents used to take me to Quebec City every other summer (alternating with Plymouth and P-Town), and I've been back as an adult twice, most recently about seven years ago. Much more so than Montreal, it is very French-self-identified in terms of culture, cuisine (excellent, BTW) and language. You may or may not meet people who speak any English at all, but they speak a very modern and "clean" French (again, unlike Montreal). In many ways it feels like a small provincial French city.

It is extremely pretty, compact and easily walkable. It's also clean and safe but a little dull compared to Montreal or Toronto: the nightlife is muted and discreet. The last time I went, my ex and I stayed at a gay guesthouse which was conveniently located but otherwise has nothing to recommend it: the room's bathroom, for instance, did not have a door (which I found kinda traumatic). I'd recommend staying at a small hotel than risk the vagueries of a guesthouse/B&B, personally.

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My mom's from a small town called Old Town, ME (think of the canoes), and I spent at least one summer month there with my grandparents every year until I was about 14, plus many, many Thanksgivings and Easters. In a way, I feel as though I was partially raised there and have seen every part of the state except the extreme North-East (Aroostook county).

I spent a couple of summers with my grandmother in a cottage at Lamoine Beach, directly across Eastern Bay from Bar Harbor/Salisbury Cove. I remember it as storybook perfect... there was an elderly couple, artists, who lived in a cabin in the woods just up the hill behind the house we stayed in. The wife, who must have been in her 80's, used to let me sit and watch as she painted. She gave me some of her artwork, which I still have.

The memories are so vivid, I can still remember the names of everyone who stayed on our street and the license plate number on the 1972 Vista Cruiser of the nice folks from Maryland who rented the house next to us.

I could live in Maine, except for the limited flying options. But hubby and I are still saving our Loonies for someday moving to Vancouver, BC. It's city heaven.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I spent a couple of summers with my grandmother in a cottage at Lamoine Beach, directly across Eastern Bay from Bar Harbor/Salisbury Cove. I remember it as storybook perfect... there was an elderly couple, artists, who lived in a cabin in the woods just up the hill behind the house we stayed in. The wife, who must have been in her 80's, used to let me sit and watch as she painted. She gave me some of her artwork, which I still have.

The memories are so vivid, I can still remember the names of everyone who stayed on our street and the license plate number on the 1972 Vista Cruiser of the nice folks from Maryland who rented the house next to us.

I could live in Maine, except for the limited flying options. But hubby and I are still saving our Loonies for someday moving to Vancouver, BC. It's city heaven.

I think there's a reason why Maine is called Vacationland. Much as I cherish my memories, I could never live in such a limited environment IRL. My grandparents were extremely conventional people who lived a very small life. They never flew (my grandmother never even learned to drive), and never ventured further west than Montreal nor south of Atlantic City. Both of them were born, lived their lives and died within a radius of thirty miles.

I cannot imagine living that kind of life, but it worked for them.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual

It's best right along the coast, unless you're looking for real wilderness. Bar Harbor and Ogunquit have reputations as being destinations, and are lovely, but might seem quiet if you're expecting anything like Rockport (MA) or P-Town. Portland is a very gracious smallish city with decent accommodations and dining and some of the only really gay nightlife in the state. Old Orchard Beach's glory days were decades ago and the last time I visited (about nine years ago now) it was really forlorn.

Route 1 is the main drag from Kittery all the way to Eastport, It can be extremely congested at least as far as Ellsworth but is the best way to see such places as Wiscasset, which is justly famous for its quality and beauty. The Maine Turnpike (Route 95), especially north of Portland, is just a lot of pine trees and is perhaps the most monotonous, long drive I've ever endured in my life.

My grandparents used to take me to Quebec City every other summer (alternating with Plymouth and P-Town), and I've been back as an adult twice, most recently about seven years ago. Much more so than Montreal, it is very French-self-identified in terms of culture, cuisine (excellent, BTW) and language. You may or may not meet people who speak any English at all, but they speak a very modern and "clean" French (again, unlike Montreal). In many ways it feels like a small provincial French city.

It is extremely pretty, compact and easily walkable. It's also clean and safe but a little dull compared to Montreal or Toronto: the nightlife is muted and discreet. The last time I went, my ex and I stayed at a gay guesthouse which was conveniently located but otherwise has nothing to recommend it: the room's bathroom, for instance, did not have a door (which I found kinda traumatic). I'd recommend staying at a small hotel than risk the vagueries of a guesthouse/B&B, personally.

I really appreciate your commentary on these places. Very kind of you. They're quite helpful.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I really appreciate your commentary on these places. Very kind of you. They're quite helpful.

Mon plaisir :wink:

I only wish I had about St Petersburg or Moscow. I'm sure they're fascinating (though rather dangerous at this moment).

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
Mon plaisir :wink:

I only wish I had about St Petersburg or Moscow. I'm sure they're fascinating (though rather dangerous at this moment).

Russia is very fascinating to me. The architecture, language, food, etc.

I do French, German, Russian, and Turkish. I'm a language nut.

I know you love French, too. My whole life has been devoted to mastering French (J'adore le français du Québec aussi).

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Russia is very fascinating to me. The architecture, language, food, etc.

I do French, German, Russian, and Turkish. I'm a language nut.

I know you love French, too. My whole life has been devoted to mastering French (J'adore le français du Québec aussi).

I had a French teacher in high school who also taught Russian. When I expressed a casual interest in exploring Russian further, she arranged a tutor for me from one of her star pupils. Eight weeks into it I decided that it really wasn't my thing, though I've always been fascinated by Russian culture (still am, actually).

I've always said that if I hit the lottery, I'd study languages and travel enough to perfect them with the native speakers. I'm fluent in French and my Spanish comprehension is very good, though I've always been too lazy to learn their verbs :redface:

There are actually at least three versions of Quebecois that I'm aware of:
1) Montrealais, which is practically a separate language; their vocabulary and accent are practically impossible for me to understand. I do much better with Haitian Creole.
2) "Back Woods" Quebecois, which is what my cousins in Ft Kent, ME speak in the house. It's not exactly literate (unlike Montrealais) and very much a simplified (little use of the Subjunctive, for instance), archaic French. It's highly personalized and, again, difficult for a non-native to really get; in fact, I'd bet my Parisian friends would have difficulty with it, too.
3) The French I heard in Quebec City, which can be compared to "California English": very clean, light on the idiom and regionalism, etc. It's the result of decades worth of direct intervention by the French Department of Culture and lots of imported television. It's actually lovely and sounds much like the kind of French I've heard spoken by Africans: rather careful and very precise without that Parisian slurriness and love of argot.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Ça m'intrigue que tu sois intrigué par mon amour et mes efforts de maîtrise de la langue française (pas tout à fait sûr si j'en suis un maître) :wink:
C'est une blague. "Français" est un euphémisme, comprenez?

Comment vont les choses au "le Ranch Lapin"? :wink:

Last edited:

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The simple truth is that the cities that made the Mercer top of the list this year do have outstanding urban services and amenities that make it interesting and convenient to live there. They have stable government, excellent public transit, great hospitals and schools, lots of nature nearby, few natural disasters to contend with and, to be quite honest, little political interference from religious extremists or "reformist" nutjobs. Just nice, steady progress.

I'm very pleased, but not surprised, that my one favorite city in the world made the top 5. My criteria are all the ones that the Mercer study used, plus a few that my lifestyle demands: a worldclass airport; nonstop flights to London (nonnegotiable) and most major US cities; most federal government services, including a passport office and plenty of embassies or consulates; real change of seasons (warm summers, heaps of autumn leaves, maybe some snow, and tons of spring flowers); moderate climate (no more than 30° C temp swing from coldest day to hottest day); nude beaches; hot guys, in my eyes a byproduct of lots of outdoor sports opportunities; mountains; abundant water with tides; and social progressiveness (universal healthcare, reasonable gun laws, sensible drug laws, discouragement of circumcision, marriage equality, and consistent parking laws not based on archaic church coercion). Cost of living is much less an issue for my partner and me than are enlightened housing and social policies.

Interesting that Vienna topped the list. I'll be there for 2 weeks next month, so I'll have a chance to check out its good points.

Did you REALLY just throw circumcision out there? :confused: