Best Places to Live in the World...

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yes, I think he did, in a list of other progressive social attitudes he deems important,
or at least important social indicators.

Then again, maybe he just likes being around uncut dicks. :biggrin2:

To throw the rate of cricumcision out there as a criteria for how livable a city is is absurd. If you like uncut dicks, just say so- I just like dick, period. If I knew my boyfriend thought my cut penis was an example of regressive thinking, and that I contribute to the unlivable nature of San Diego, first I'd deck him, then I'd dump him. :mad:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Oooo, 16th? I can live with that.:biggrin1:
And I can live with 14th.:cool:
BTW, I was in your burg for four days last week.
Lived there for more than ten years.
Still a good place.

I'm amused that Barcelona shows up somewhere around 100+ on the list. In my opinion this is a good thing. It helps discourage (mostly English-speaking) folks from thinking about moving to the city.
One of the best cities I've ever visited.

Seriously, if all you can take away from a visit to Paris with its history, museums, architecture, culture, street-life and food (not to mention the general joie de vivre) are anecdotes about snooty waiters in a tourist trap or dog shit on the sidewalk then you have a sorry appreciation of what makes life worth living.
I loved every minute I spent in that city.
Didn't find them cold or snooty ... felt very much at home.

Parisians are very like Londoners in my experience, a bit brusque and matter of fact but if you're confident in your manner and can speak French (even a tiny bit) they're a delight, and considering how magnificent a city they live in one can forgive some foibles.
Bingo.
I love how they're almost religious about French.
(Intolerant of the Quebecois accent, though. English Canadians who speak ungrammatically and without fluency can have a better time in Paris that the Quebecois, it often seemed to me.
)

I'm from Toronto, which usually fairs well in these rankings. Its a great city to live and I always want to ultimately end up there, but its SO BORING compared to other great cities in Europe and even the US!

Other problems:
- the much lauded multiculturalism actually makes everyone in TO racist and even intoverted (each culture only socializes with their own own kind in the tiny little pickets around the city)
I wonder if you're going a bit too far there.
Many Torontonians love the ethnic neighbourhoods and ethnic restaurants.
Joe SixPack may feel differently, but he's the same everywhere.

I've been to Toronto twice in the late 90s for Pride. Though we didn't stray too far off the Church St/Yonge St axis, it seemed nice enough. The people were friendly, the food inexpensive and plentiful and everything just had a "rightness" about it that's hard to explain but easy to recognize: it just seemed very comfortable (and my ex was a notoriously bad traveler).
A lot of people feel this way.
In his 1980 book States of Desire: Travels in Gay America, Edmund White strays north of the border and has some very nice things to say about T.O.
I haven't lived there in a couple of decades, so I may be out of touch ... but I still find it very civil when I visit.

Haha, I lived in Aix, so I'm on the Marseilles side of the rivalry.
Aix, village of the gods.
I lived there for eight months in 1984-85.
Most congenial place I've ever been.
Used to spend afternoons aux Deux Garcons.
Sitting on a terrace sur Le Cours Mirabeau, early on a summer afternoon, has got to be a foretaste of heaven.

Yes, there's a lot of great fun to be had in Paris. But it doesn't change the fact that (especially) compared to the sunny and open air of Provence, Paris is dirty, just like any city with millions of people packed together is bound to be dirty.
Yes, it's so much else, too ... the museums, the wonderful cafes, the parks.
Paris is probably my favourite city in the world.

I'm honestly not even saying that Marseilles compared favorably with Paris as a city on metrics such as museified culture, nightlife, landmarks, etc.

I think I just enjoyed the lifestyle of Provence more - I love Mediterranean food, the lower population density, and of course the weather.
Do you know Gordes? That was my base in Provence.
I loved to sit in a cafe with a pastis at hand, good friends around the table, the smell of lavender wafting in from the surrounding fields.
Someone I hardly knew ... though we had a friend in common ... lent me a bicycle for an entire summer.
I loved the luxury of spending a very long evening at the table, with nine courses of wonderful food, good wines appearing throughout the evening, the smell of my friend's between-courses Gitanes Mais a subtle olfactory background to all the sounds and tastes.
The Provencals just seemed to understand, in their pores and fibres, that life is for living.

Maine is best right along the coast, unless you're looking for real wilderness. Bar Harbor and Ogunquit have reputations as being destinations, and are lovely, but might seem quiet if you're expecting anything like Rockport (MA) or P-Town. Portland is a very gracious smallish city with decent accommodations and dining and some of the only really gay nightlife in the state.
Been through those places, and everything you say is true.
Spent a week in Camden ... and I liked it very much.
But I wonder if my friend Bbucko would find it too bourgeois.

The last time I went to Quebec City, my ex and I stayed at a gay guesthouse which was conveniently located but otherwise has nothing to recommend it: the room's bathroom, for instance, did not have a door (which I found kinda traumatic).
La rue Ste. Ursule.
Ha.
I lived on la rue Couillard, four blocks east.
There's a kind of temporally displaced propinquity in the air here, Bbucko.
Eerie but nice.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
To throw the rate of cricumcision out there as a criteria for how livable a city is is absurd. If you like uncut dicks, just say so- I just like dick, period. If I knew my boyfriend thought my cut penis was an example of regressive thinking, and that I contribute to the unlivable nature of San Diego, first I'd deck him, then I'd dump him. :mad:
I don't think he said that. At all.

At any rate, it's his criterion, not yours. He's entitled to his criteria, as you are to yours.

You're taking this thread on an unnecessary and emotionally charged tangent baby, and we all know where it will end up. There are plenty of volatile circumcision threads to weigh in on if you want. Seriously, let it go.

Last edited:

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
C'est une blague. "Français" est un euphémisme, comprenez?

Comment vont les choses au "le Ranch Lapin"? :wink:

Je pense que je pige cette blague-là.:biggrin1:

Les choses vont assez bien chez Bunny Ranch. Je suis le mieux monté, donc le mieux payé. Et je dois dire que je rends des services sans jamais m'ennuyer. Alors, serais-tu partant?

Me voilà, le seul vrai taureau dans le désert, assouvissant sans cesse la soif des amateurs et amatrices de grosses bites.

fratpack

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Having spent many Summers growing up in Venice and years from now I hope to retire there. Love London, been to Moscow - would not go back....various other places I've been to as well but the lure of Venice is just to great for me to resist. Turkey is also high on my list.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Je pense que je pige cette blague-là.:biggrin1:

Les choses vont assez bien chez Bunny Ranch. Je suis le mieux monté, donc le mieux payé. Et je dois dire que je rends des services sans jamais m'ennuyer. Alors, serais-tu partant?

Me voilà, le seul vrai taureau dans le désert, assouvissant sans cesse la soif des amateurs et amatrices de grosses bites.

Votre français peut être meilleure que la mienne, mais encore il manque. Autant que je voudrais que vous pratiquez votre français technique sur moi, c'est mieux si nous converser en anglais, n'est pas?

Je suis heureux que les choses vont bien pour vous, Grand Taureau. Il doit être les coupons. :biggrin2:

Last edited:

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
As a provincial bumpkin, I always wonder about cities whether you have to be wealthy to enjoy living there. We all talk about these cities being great, but how often do we see the shit end of town?

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
Votre français peut être meilleure que la mienne, mais encore il manque. Autant que je voudrais que vous pratiquez votre français technique sur moi, c'est mieux si nous converser en anglais, n'est pas?

Je suis heureux que les choses vont bien pour vous, Grand Taureau. Il doit être les coupons. :biggrin2:

I'm sorry...just thought you'd like to play in French...

No proper coupons at the Bunny Ranch, but I can get a discount for you.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
Having spent many Summers growing up in Venice and years from now I hope to retire there. Love London, been to Moscow - would not go back....various other places I've been to as well but the lure of Venice is just to great for me to resist. Turkey is also high on my list.

Yes, a lot of folks aren't too keen on Moscow, but I'd still love to try it and form my own opinion. I know there are many negative things there.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I'm sorry...just thought you'd like to play in French...

No proper coupons at the Bunny Ranch, but I can get a discount for you.

Pas un problème, j'aime le jeu français beaucoup! :wink:

I think you are being disingenuous. I have seen those coupons at rest areas and truck stops.

At any rate, as I told you, the best you can hope for is an even exchange. :biggrin2:

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
[QUOTE=maxcok;2838508]Pas un problème, j'aime le jeu français beaucoup! :wink:

I think you are being disingenuous. I have seen those coupons at rest areas and truck stops.

At any rate, as I told you, the best you can hope for is an even exchange. :biggrin2:[/QUOTE]

I don't think you've seen it; it looks something like this: 30% off the Bull Dick's services (one-time only; cannot be redeemed for cash)

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Did you REALLY just throw circumcision out there? :confused:

Yeah, I did. For me it's a critical measure of how much denizens understand the concept of children's rights (human rights) and personal autonomy. In my travel experience, countries with high instances of FGC or MGC have some anger issues and a low emphasis on solid, evidence-based medicine.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yeah, I did. For me it's a critical measure of how much denizens understand the concept of children's rights (human rights) and personal autonomy. In my travel experience, countries with high instances of FGC or MGC have some anger issues and a low emphasis on solid, evidence-based medicine.

:tool:

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Name-calling? Really? And you want to go to law school?

And you're on ignore. Interesting, first time I've ever even felt the need to use it in 2.5 years here.

I'm not the one using circumcision rates as a measure of a place's livability. WAAAAAAAAAAH! Someone used an emoticon available to everybody on the site, and now I'm upset! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH! We're on a Large penis site, not CSPAN. Don't get your knickers in a twist sweetheart.