best printer/copier/scanner

B_lrgeggs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Well I guess this is as good a venue to ask about computers as any...

Looking to replace old one...anyone have any suggestions. Looked into the reviews of an HP all function one..and was quite disapointed.

Thanks

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ireggs:

If I were going to get one I would get a solid ink printer. Although quite pricey, they print very fast, have excellent quality and are cheaper to run.

eg one ink 'stick' (eg cartridge, but these use sticks of solid ink) costs about $10 and you get 1,000 pages out of it.

Compare that with ink cartridges (for inkjet printers - lower quality, slower) where for $10 you only get maybe 400 pages at best.

Laser printer toners cost $100+ for 4,000 pages per ink "cartridge".

So in summary cost per page (in consumables/ink) is [based on cost of four inks - CMYK]:

Solid Ink - $0.04
Inkjet - $0.10
Laser - $0.10

Note that you will also need a separate copier/scanner too but they are quite cheap. Just get a USB one. Maybe a scanner/copier combo.

Depends on what you need it for really. If quality and speed matters then go for the solid ink printer.

If price is all that matters then get any decent laser printer.

Prices are going to be around:

Inkjet - $80
Laser - $400
Solid Ink - $800

But remember that over time, solid ink printers are the cheapest. Here's about the only solid ink printer on the market (I think its new technology) and some reviews. People seem to really like it and mention the quality and speed as the main selling points.

Xerox Phaser 8560N Colour Solid ink printer - 30 ppm - 625 sheets

Last edited:

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Okay- as an artist, what matters to me is quality of print and scan...
Versatility is also important.

I have tried a LOT of printers... and Epson always has shown the highest quality photographic prints... with the best color fidelity... not to mention best archival ink/paper solutions.

Of the all in ones, I currently have 2 Epson RX680 printers.

Great all in one... with some extras... First of all TWO paper feeds, that up top one common to all Epsons, but that I don't dig much because the paper sitting there gets all dusty... and a CLOSED paper tray down on the bottom.

Second great feature... it prints great images on printable CDs.

Third great feature, DUPLEX printing... what that means is that it can automatically print on BOTH sides of a piece of paper... this is fantastic for printing out those 30 to 300 page PDFs that you occasionally need to run, as it uses half as much paper.
It will pull this trick whether the binding edge is the long edge or the short edge.

Its also capable of printing directly from a USB or other flash card, has a built in universal card reader, like most others...

For everything from office copying to printing perfect archival quality borderless glossy photos at 8.5 by 11, the Epson RX680 is a fantastic printer.