Best relationship book ever!

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
OMG, I saw this book in a book store probably 15 years ago. It was $11 at the time I think. Now I see it for sale used on E-Bay or Amazon etc for anywhere from $135 to $200. It's that good and people want to buy copies for friends or as wedding presents etc.

Good news, it is being reissued on Dec 24 of this year. I'm placing 3 orders -- 2 gifts for now and a spare for a gift later. Don't remember the price but it's not crazy like the used copies are now on the Internet

Anyway it's called "Talk to Me Like I'm Someone You Love: Flash Cards for Real Life."

It's a little larger than 3 x 5 cards spiral bound on the left side. It's basically just a list of better ways (less angry, less threatening, less controlling) of saying things. Each sentence is on a separate card. I would never flip through it and hold it up to someone of course like a real flash card but I guess if you're so angry or so choked up I suppose you could do that if you had to. But just having read through it you see how you could have worded something a little better in the past and kept a fight from escalating or going off on a tangent.

Let's face it we all have the same fights with our SO's, and judging from my experience and people I've talked to plus sitcoms and movies, the same "lines" get used in these fights. Lines that are not helpful. This book gives you a different way of approaching it. A little more subtle and a lighter touch. Admittedly not my strong point which is why I'm such a fan of this book.

Anyway, FWIW.

If you don't want to buy it sight unseen, look through it in the bookstores after it comes out and I think most of you will really like it.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Whatever works for you is the best one that is offered. Psychological babble shifts phrases and terminology even seven or eight years and some of the older self help books seem language quaint if you look through them.

This isn't a psychology book. It's just a list of phrases or sentences in plain English that people can use with each other to communicate better. It's at least 15 years old (can't remember when I bought it exactly) and doesn't seem quaint in the least.

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I like: How to win friends and influence people, by Dale Carnegie.
If everyone followed that book, the world would be a much better place.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
^^Yeah that's a classic. Been in print for a lot of years for good reason.

What distinguishes the Flash Cards book from so many of the others, is that a lot of them deal with principles etc. This is just concrete ways to express yourself without the anger etc. that usually comes in to a "fight." Flip through it when it gets to the bookstores and you'll see what I mean.