Best Samurai films

sbat

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Looking to gather a list of the best samurai films to watch. I have a week in rural Missouri at my family's house and not at all much to do at night. So I want to catch up on my samurai flicks. Suggestions?

Stretch

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
All the Akira Kurosawa samurai films. There are none finer. You can hardly do better then the entire Kurosawa collection period. See where Spielberg, Scorcese, Coppola and especially Luca's Star Wars all found their inspiration. Seven Samurai was remade as The Magnificent Seven, Yojimbo as A Fistful of Dollars, Rashoman is the template for an entire style of storytelling and Hidden Fortress was the biggest influence on Star Wars. If you're a Samurai fan, however, you're probably already aware of Kurosawa. You can always go on imdb and type Samurai into the search field or just google top 20 Samurai films of all time and see what comes up that you don't know already. Have a good week. :smile:

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
All the Akira Kurosawa samurai films. There are none finer. You can hardly do better then the entire Kurosawa collection period. See where Spielberg, Scorcese, Coppola and especially Luca's Star Wars all found their inspiration. Seven Samurai was remade as The Magnificent Seven, Yojimbo as A Fistful of Dollars, Rashoman is the template for an entire style of storytelling and Hidden Fortress was the biggest influence on Star Wars. If you're a Samurai fan, however, you're probably already aware of Kurosawa. You can always go on imdb and type Samurai into the search field or just google top 20 Samurai films of all time and see what comes up that you don't know already. Have a good week. :smile:

I'll second that. I remember going to a Kurosawa screening while at uni - 21 hours back to back. The breaks between films were short and it nearly killed me, but I'd do it again.