Best Songs for Younguns?

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Dido! I'll try her, too! I'm not surprised that he prefers clear vocals and music with high production values. His hearing just finished developing and his brain is still trying to figure out sounds. He'll get into noise rock later when he's better able to distinguish individual sounds, I'm sure of it.

I have great faith in TheBaby's future as a lover of rock :tongue:.

I'm not annoyed! He keeps reminding me of my dog when he was just a puppy actually.

Oh, I'm so glad you don't mind! I can't help myself sometimes, even though I know it annoys some people (my mum for instance). I think I'll be comparing my own baby (when I have one) to my cat when she was little.

Oh! I should make a video of it! That would be cool! Now watch it not work when we have the camera pointed at him. :tongue:

If I'm superstitious about anything, it's that trying to capture something on camera will jinx it.

It's true! If someone's watching, things don't work!

Oh, it could never be worse than the crying. I'm convinced that the oxytocin that has bonded me to him has also made it impossible for my heart rate not to rise when I hear him sounding like he's in distress. It cuts right into me and makes me feel anxious to make it stop. I believe that response is a part of my biological drive as his mother and I'm programmed to respond like that, the same way that I'm programmed to lactate if I think he's hungry or if I think about him nursing, so that a stray thought will make my breasts start to leak. I don't think any song could be worse than his crying, at least to me!

I'm pretty sure current scientific knowledge does indeed suggest this.

Our baby doctor had us buy the full set of Baby Einsteins Cd's first and play them very very low on a CD player in the nursery that continuously repeated during the day or night while sleeping. He said it would help us grow calm children. It would also help them as they got older to ignore any type of noise while they slept. Trust me both children can now sleep through anything, thunderstorms that shake the house, hail storms, shopping in a store when they nap, and even on airplanes when we travel.

My mum taught us to sleep through anything as well! Although strangely, as an adult my brother has lost his ability to self soothe. Not only does he wake up to any noise, he can't put himself back to sleep again either, and gets cranky with everyone!

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Tim Minchin "Sweet Lullaby"

(wish I had a link I could post.....)

(if you find one, please don't hate my twisted sense of humour.....)

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Awesome sauce! I need to listen to the rest of these! Thank you all so much!

My son was screaming and inconsolable. As a last resort move, I looked up Good Vibrations on Youtube and played it. I thought, at least it'll be ironically funny if it doesn't help. He stopped crying! It worked! TheBF said it was weird.

It's the harmonies. My kids liked Sha Na Na more than I did.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thank you everyone again! I'm still going through these songs! He's fussy a lot, so I have a lot of opportunities. :tongue:

Ellie, thank you for the long list! That Aaron Neville song at the top of your list seemed to work, too! I am working our way through the rest.

It's the harmonies. My kids liked Sha Na Na more than I did.

I just now tried Sha na na, he stopped fussing!

The Beach Boys effect is just amazing, but only have had luck with Pet Sounds so far. I am afraid it may stop working. The blowdryer worked wonders for the first few weeks and now it no longer works! He's become inured to the sound. Sometimes the combination of blowdryer + music works.

I'd listen to bagpipe music and polka non-stop if he never cried again.

Last edited:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Here it is!

YouTube - ‪Lullaby by Tim Minchin‬‏

Don't get mad - it's only irony.....

Thank you for the link! I looked for it on Youtube and nothing came up!

That was hilarious!

It reminds me of the woman who did my facial, she's a new mom, too, and we were talking about how difficult it is dealing with a colicky baby. She was so funny! That song was essentially what she was saying about it. She kept me rolling.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
For something that can place the child in a trance like state which is helpful at times of stress, anything by America. Horse With No Name, Ventura Highway, Sister Golden Hair. My younger daughter stiill gets drowsy with those.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Have you considered any Broadway repetoire? Disney's songs too?

I am! And suggestions are welcome!

TheBaby seems to like vocal harmonies a lot, so songs like Seasons of Love from Rent and My Eyes from Dr. Horribles Sing-Along Blog are good ones.

A Capella songs are good, too, like this a capella mash-up of Lady Gaga songs.

He seems to like higher pitched voices a lot.

I have to admit that I've seen very few Disney movies, so I'm not familiar with the songs.

I've discovered the children's songs made by They Might Be Giants, whom I've loved since I was in high school. I'm already hooked on the catchy Meet the Elements and Science is Real. I'm singing them around the house all the time now.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The Beach Boys still works! It's amazing!

I stopped using music for a little while, not for any good reason, and tonight he kept being fussy so I played The Beach Boys again and he settled down immediately and fell asleep with a smile on his face. Incredible.

I'm still worried that if I over-use, then it will stop working. The blowdryer used to make him stop crying immediately for about 4 weeks, then it no longer worked any more. I have a feeling that anything that distracts him enough to make him stop crying could stop working if I abuse it.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
My daughter really loved anything by Bob Marley and the Wailers. Not all of it may be considered "appropriate" for kids, but it never did her any harm. It was a bit disconcerting to have my 5 year old singing along to " 'cuse me while I light my spliff", :rolleyes: but Marley's message of love and tolerance, is a beautiful thing for a kid to hear.

We also liked Raffi a lot.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My daughter really loved anything by Bob Marley and the Wailers. Not all of it may be considered "appropriate" for kids, but it never did her any harm. It was a bit disconcerting to have my 5 year old singing along to " 'cuse me while I light my spliff", :rolleyes: but Marley's message of love and tolerance, is a beautiful thing for a kid to hear.

We also liked Raffi a lot.

Eh, at this age I figure that he's just hearing notes and the basic sounds of music. I'll worry about the message the music sends when he's old enough to understand the lyrics! :tongue:

Bob Marley is a great idea! I don't know Raffi. I was embarrassed about that, so I looked him up on YouTube, and I can see why I didn't know who he was! :lmao:

My father was philosophically opposed to children's music. He believed that adult music was better for both parent and child. My father made one exception to the rule, and that was music I heard and loved from movies, which included Disney movies. I'm probably going to be more lax than my father, but for the most part, I agree with his philosophy.

I'm not convinced that children's music is better for children, but if my children enjoy it more then I will not deprive them of the joy of it. However, if my child enjoys good adult music more, then I'm so glad my baby has good taste. :tongue:

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm still worried that if I over-use, then it will stop working. The blowdryer used to make him stop crying immediately for about 4 weeks, then it no longer worked any more. I have a feeling that anything that distracts him enough to make him stop crying could stop working if I abuse it.

I think you should trust your instincts on this one.

I'm not convinced that children's music is better for children, but if my children enjoy it more then I will not deprive them of the joy of it. However, if my child enjoys good adult music more, then I'm so glad my baby has good taste. :tongue:

I think there can be a place for both in a kid's life.