Better Version Of China Girl? Iggy or Bowie?

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Iggy. Bowie wrote the song and produced and played all the instrument's on Iggy's album The Idiot. Bowie gave Iggy some writting credits to get him out of hock. A great rock and roll album recorded in Hansa studio next to the Berlin wall. The guards from the wall used to come up to window (with guns) to watch them. So you can imagine. It's a powerful album. Check it out.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Iggy. Bowie wrote the song and produced and played all the instrument's on Iggy's album The Idiot. Bowie gave Iggy some writting credits to get him out of hock. A great rock and roll album recorded in Hansa studio next to the Berlin wall. The guards from the wall used to come up to window (with guns) to watch them. So you can imagine. It's a powerful album. Check it out.

actually, snakey...from my understanding, (which may be wrong) was that while indeed the collaboration was as you say in terms of Bowie's writing/producing/playing, Bowie, in order to get Iggy out of hock, did his later version, which became a big 80s commercial hit (wheras the Iggy Pop version was not) that way Iggy could collect royalties from the very popular Bowie version.

though like you, i do prefer the Iggy version...much more powerful, i think...the i enjoy the Bowie version. :smile:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Personally, I think it's one of the weakest songs from either's repertoire. When Bowie came out with Let's Dance and China Girl, I felt that an era had passed. It would be like if Lou Reed decided to cover Good-bye To You or Patti Smith sang La Isla Bonita.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This thread is useless without links, Randy... Ooooh, thanks, Bbucko. :)
I was 6 or 7 when China Girl came out and recall it was one of those songs that made me strangely "tingly" after I saw the video - guess it was Bowie's androgyny. :shrug: Anyway, still can't listen to it without the tingles, so Bowie wins.

Plus, Iggy Pop has never been a favorite (although, he does rock in this version). :shrug: :shrug:
Totally wouldn't mind a Tom Waits cover of the song, though.

I've never cared for the Bowie version or David Bowie in general. I recognize his talent, I just don't care for it.