Beware of phone server changes!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Lightkeeper, Oct 25, 2011.

1. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

I had AT&T hoe phone service for years but reponded to an offer to switch to Verizon. On Wednesday of last week I decided to switch since the plan was much cheaper. On Friday I had not been switched so I contacted AT&T and told them I was not changing and cancelled with Verizon. On Monday I pick up the phone and no dial tone. I've been going back and forth between thw two companies tryng to be able to use my home phone. AT&T says to contact Verizon, and Verizon tells me it is AT&T's decision.

Here it is half of the second day without any home phone. I'm getting pissed! :mad:

2. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    FWIW, I haven't had a land-line since 2004, and most probably never will again.

Maybe you should try Vonage?

3. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

I'm almost afraid to try switching to anything again! If I had cell service where I live with Verizon, I'd definately do away with AT&T and a land line.

(Verizon's towers are a little distance for me to get a decent signal. Some 12 to 20 miles away - depending on what direction I go.

A damn shame...we can send men to the moon with little communications problem but cell service? It sucks. :mad:

4. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Two hours past above post and still no signal.

5. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ditch them both if you can.

If you live in an area where cable is provided, the cable companies usually offer package deals, t.v. cable, internet, and phone service bundled at savings to each.

I don't know about Verizon, but the phone service is usually WAY less than AT&T can ever offer.

6. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

4th. day with still no service.

(Unfortunately I am in a rural area with no cable. Not even hi-speed internet from AT&T. I have to use satellites for TV and computer.)

7. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Update (for anyone that really gives a damn)
    It's now Friday and still no home phone service. Phone was turned off on Monday.

8. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh..... in the words of someone who I can't remember...oh wait it was Droopy the dog from Droopy cartoons... "You know what? That just makes me mad.":mad:

I see what happened as you had a provider (AT&T decided to switch so AT&T had that in their records then you told Verizon you wouldn't go with them so they didn't complete the switch, but AT&T already had you set to be dropped by them and whoever does that part did their job not realizing you had decided to stay with them. Since neither is giving service now and there's no dial tone maybe a wire got cut sometimes there can be a loose wire somewhere if maybe a heavy bird landed on a wire and just pulled it from the connection. Even if you have electric, a phone wire could still have become detached. To get either of them now, you'd literally have to sell your soul and agree to either AT&T or Verizon being your phone service at which point they'd sign you on and then if there was a signal issue most likely they'd send a wireman/wirewoman out to get things straightened out.

I can't stand Verizon but still have them on the land line. I use AT&T for cell. I avoid using the cable and Internet people as a phone servicer because they have a really bad problem if one goes out, they all go out and you have no cable, no Internet, no phone....I know a few people who got hit that way just in the last few months and the one person doesn't have a cell phone so she was completely cut off.

Hope all of this gets rectified soon.

9. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Thanks Hoss. Going into the second week now of no service. (Still no dial tone)
    I'm going to call again today....again, again, again.

(They may get so pissed off they will do this. LOL) :biggrin1:

Attached Files:

10. EllieP

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    We haven't had the need for a landline until lately, so Cap went out and bought an Ooma. I guess it's like Vonage in that it hooks up to the Internet and we pay less than $4 a month. It's great for junk callers. Anybody that rings that line probably doesn't know us.

Draft saved Draft deleted