Beyond carnaval: Gay Brasil

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Gisella, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Gisella

Gold Member

:eek: Wow...and I say again: WOW!

Mr. James N. Green nailed to me sooooo clear how I learn to see gay men in my culture and why when I came to the US I took as mix messages and confusion all the gay masculine men that I met and work and love...after sooo many years somebody explain so clear the kind of stereotype I was applying....

1) I thought what people call in the US 'Queens' (bicha louca) were the real gays, and I saw them as equal feminine to me bcause I kind of thought they were women in men's body...and the masculine men who has sex with them were not real homosexuals but real man who had sex with different kind of woman trap in men's body...

You can laugh people but Its not just me who understand and stereotype this way...its many still in my culture plus is linked to Mediterranean culture too...the active and passive roles and etc.

Its so great someone who understand your culture and trully love your country, just open your mind like that!,explaining how and why you see things!! Wow!

Anyways, if you want to read more about Jimmy works the link is below.

:hug: Thank you Jimmy you capture it , great work just great!

http://www.globalgayz.com/g-brazil.html

2. Andresito

Andresito Member

It's not only in Brazil.

The stereotypes near activo / pasivo is everywhere.

BUT maybe it's not so bad thinking in that way. OK, every stereotype is bad, but at least here the active men USUALLY act more masculine, while the passive men USUALLY act more feminine.

Maybe it's just the way that we like to show our preferrence in bed.

On the other hand, what about the promiscuous stereotype?

3. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Obrigado, Gisella. We talked about this before, didn't we? My partner and I are both masculine, neither of us is a "woman in a mans' body." Como dois touros junto. Sim? I am happy that you are starting to get an understanding. People are all different.

4. Pene_Negro_Grande

Gold Member

Well I grew up in a small beach town and probably was very ignorant and thought you have to be feminine to be gay....That is why I only knew one guy in high school that was perceive to be gay....Years later after living in some metropolitan cities - I realized you can't really tell....I had a gay roommate who I didn't even know was gay....He was very masculine and he taught me alot about gay culture....This dude was a mack too....Women that hit on him use to get mad and swear his wasn't gay when he told them....I thought it was hilarious....

5. Gisella

Gold Member

For sure not only in Brasil ..the author say mediterranean culture too bcause of traditions the gender roles are rigid.. than any culture rigid in gender roles will apply the same rigidity to homosexual relations..i think.

What promiscuous stereotype you are talking about ?:confused:

6. Gisella

Gold Member

Yes Dc you did...but he touch me wow! because he is talking from my culture and familiar things...i'm being nailed deeper and wow..as times goes by...

But you see Dc...I know u 2 are 2 touros and if i see you together i still have a wickness for the strong masculinity in you 2...even though i know you are gay...how i'm going to 'delete' that ???:rolleyes:

7. Gisella

Gold Member

I can understand why some women can be confuse..but to get mad i dont...:biggrin1:

8. tygrrr

tygrrr New Member

Quite obviously, naturally effeminate gay guys are most easily 'detected' as being gay, and certainly this goes for the 'queens' and 'bichas'... I don't think it's more natural for gay guys to be effeminate though when one takes the first superficial look at the gay culture, it is easy to assume this is so. (I had that same experience myself when I 'came out' - and at first actually felt odd for NOT being effeminate...)
    I've met effeminate gay guys and straight guys both in Brazil and other places, and it appears to me that this is somehow even more common - or pronounced - in Latin countries, maybe because the machismo culture is so strong this becomes some kind of 'counterweight'. - I had a great experience exploring the gay culture in Sao Paulo - kinda reminded me of San Fransico in some ways (and also because of the hilly cityscape:)

Draft saved Draft deleted