Bible's stance on circumcision

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_jacknapier, May 12, 2008.

1. B_jacknapier

B_jacknapier New Member

Galatians 5:2, King James version

Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.

link to other translations:
    Galatians 5:2 Behold I, Paul, say to you that if you receive

At first I was like, "well, there's lots of stuff in the old testament that Christians don't really believe in, like the ban on shellfish and such" then I'm like "woah, Jesus wasn't IN the old testament"

So is this the church's official stance? That anyone who is circumcised cannot receive divine absolution? Anyone more versed in the faith than I know the answer?

2. Principessa

Gold Member

It's 3:42 AM, and the only thing you can find to do is search the bible for verses dealing with circumcision? :confused: Dude, just take a Tylenol PM and go to sleep. :rolleyes: :tongue:

3. vxie

vxie Member

umm... does it really matter what that fairytale book says?

4. B_jacknapier

B_jacknapier New Member

It's not the only thing I could find to do- I multitask. I'm searching the bible for verses dealing with circumcision AND jacking off at 3:42 AM

And to the man who says the bible is a fairytale story book for idiots, well, you're plain bigoted.

5. liberia

liberia New Member

Albums:
    St. Paul was a charlatan. He had absolutely no authority to go against god`s covenant with Abraham. The only way he could make converts amongst the Greeks and Romans was to do away with circumcision. The whole christian faith was founded upon lies once it was Romanised. Look at the gnostic gospels eg. the gospel of St Thomas -- These books do not refer to virgin birth, miracles or rising from the dead. The gospels of the new testament were written long after Jesus died and were used by the Romans to subdue an empire.

6. B_jacknapier

B_jacknapier New Member

I didn't know what the gnostic gospels were so I wiki'd it.

"The term gnostic gospels refers to gnostic collections of writings about the teachings of Jesus, written around the 2nd century AD.[1] These gospels are not accepted by most mainstream Christians as part of the standard Biblical canon. Rather, they are part of what is called the New Testament apocrypha. However, public interest has been spurred by recent novels and films which refer to them."

So I guess what I'm saying is, it seems the gnostic gospels were also written long after Jesus died, and they are not accepted by most Christians.

You make a great point in regards to God's covenant with Abraham. Where DID Paul get such authority?

7. dolfette

Gold Member

it also says a son can't be judged for the sins of his father.
    most cut were cut as infants...it's the sin of their parents.

i shoulda been a lawyer.

8. liberia

liberia New Member

Albums:
    That`s the point, he had no authority!

9. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I'm not circumsized.....where am i going?

10. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Wisconsin.

11. Principessa

Gold Member

:lmao: I am pretty sure you can go to hell for jacking off to the bible. :tongue:

12. D_Chocho_Lippz

D_Chocho_Lippz Account Disabled

Touche

13. 220483

Gold Member

NO.. not to wisconsin...
    you're going to MY bed!

14. Trinity

Trinity New Member

The answer is God. God sent Jesus so that all might be saved.

Jesus came and preached his ministry during his 33 years on earth. Jesus had disciples who walked with him and learned the gospel upon which to build the Christian Church.

All of God's covenants with Abraham stand today. All Christians inherit the covenants God made with Abraham and the blessings through Grace rather than the Jewish Law.

Jesus came to fulfill the law. The Jewish Law was about "works" or laws the Jews abade by to be holy. By Jesus dying on the cross, we now live under "Grace." We are no longer bound by the Jewish Law. And everyone can be saved.

Paul's letter to the Galatian Church explains to new converts that they no longer are required to be circumcised because they are free from the law through the blood of Jesus.

Galatians 5:6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

15. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    again on the circumcision?

16. bigbig11x8

bigbig11x8 Member

Well IF you knew the Bible-you would know that Jesus was circumcised as well as all the boys like Paul - Peter-etc. and Paul even had Timothy done BUT at the time the Jews were teaching you had to be in order to be saved so Paul cleared that up No biggyand if you would read they had a councel that ruled that it was Not needed to be saved. It matters not

17. liberia

liberia New Member

Albums:
    Just because words are written in black and white on paper, doesn`t make them true. No wonder America needs so many analysts -- the majority are screwed up on sex and religion. They take the written word and try to make the facts fit the word. For example, the creation, evolution, virgin birth. life after death etc.
    We will never get closer to heaven than here right now, on earth. The only life after death is in your children -- teach them well, but base your teaching on fact rather than superstition !

18. dreamer20

Gold Member

Christians and the use of the word Christian first appear in the book of Acts, specifically Acts 11:26. The foundation of their faith is the belief in salvation through Jesus Christ which is not achieved through circumcision. This is what both your verse and Galatians 5:6 are stating. Galatians 5:6 "For in Jesus Christ there is neither circumcision, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love."

19. vxie

vxie Member

LOL I'm pretty sure i didn't say for idiots....

20. vxie

vxie Member

well yes i agree... i recently wrote something on this thread, and it appears someone reread it in a completely different meaning to what it was written...
    Funny how that happens isnt it....

Draft saved Draft deleted