Bicycle/exercise shorts?

spork: Anyone know a source for bike shorts or fitness shorts that are actuallly cut for males?

All the ones I've seen are "unisex". This means everything goes down one leg (hurts when you're going a long way) or gets pushed back between my legs (makes me walk like a cowboy) or gives me a massive scrotal cameltoe (hurts right away).

Bonus points for colors other than black (hot in the sun), and for cotton blends instead of 100% nylon.

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
dude..

i guess you have tried the local sports stores, but did you try the local bike shops. they usually have catalogs they will either order gear from or let you borrow them and order. this link may provide some help.

http://www.sugoi.ca/product.asp?yea...s=0&c=2&a=0&p=Classic Shorts&Style=38276U&g=3

i think you might want to reconsider some color other than black. why? well, on a bike tour in europe we had to wear light blue and yellow outfits....make that OUT FITS. light colors really define the TOTAL package. if you sweat, the moisture collects around the crotch and the light colors become translucent (even with double thick fabric). for me, black and dark blue are good. if you get into rain in a light color, you are totally revealed.

another thing...when wearing the lycra shorts, i have been told (and now do) that you are supposed to push the dick and balls forward and up (pressed against the stomach) to prevent or lessen the chance for injury to the equipment. yeah, geting on and off the bike (for an ice cream or whatever) requires adjustments...but what guy doesn't look for a reason to play with himself? ;)

i am sure someone of the board has a better understanding of the safety issues than i do...so please speak up.

jay

spork: I tried pointing the equipment up (as you suggest) but damn, that's _really_ blatant when I get off the bicycle -- especially when I have to dig around and adjust it.

Cotton-based stretch fabrics darken when they get wet but don't get translucent unless they're white. (I have a pair of gray shorts that I tested this with.) Nylon spandex, on the other hand, does get extremely revealing when wet, which is another reason I'm trying to stay away from it.

The search continues...

awellhungboi: So did you ever find a good pair of these, Spork? I just bought a bike, and I was wondering if you or anybody else had any recommendations re: bike shorts. Riding it yesterday and today (in loose jeans) I felt like I was flopping all over the place.

gigantikok: I wear bike shorts simply as underwear sometimes. Works pretty well when I tuck it between my legs. I couldn't imagine ever pointing my package up. Can someone say "blatant"? You don't need to splurge on a good pair of bike shorts either. There are many brands under $20 that work just as well as the higher priced kind.

In regards to the topic question, no, I don't think I've ever come across bike shorts cut for males. I'm sure they're out there though.

CardiffDillon: In the UK there is a range of cycling shorts made by a company called Ron Hill. They make what they call a '6 panel anatomical cut' (sounds painful!) range for guys.

They wouldn't make good underwear though as they have a number of padded panels and practically stand up on their own when you're holding them.

cheers

Dillon

awellhungboi: Thanks for the replies, guys.  I haven't even looked at anything yet, though, since I didn't have a lot of extra money left over after buying the bike--but maybe next payday!

I'm thinking about going the bikeshorts as underwear route like Gig suggested.  I'm going to be using my bike to commute to work and don't really feel comfortable parading into my office in bike shorts.   :-/

But riding lately it's become apparant that I need something.  Freeballing with big balls is not very comfortable on a bike.    

p.s. I also wish they made shorts with a cushioned seat. I've got such a bony ass! :D

Mighty_Joe: The last poster mentioning padded ones for boney asses reminds me of a friend from Birmingham (AL) who went to live in New York.  Several years ago I recall seeing him on TV after he marketed underwear with built-in buns.  Don't know if he made a million on them but I would like to try a pair.

Max

Sexy Member
Media
I can see what Gigantikok means about pointing up the package seeming 'blatant'.  But folding down underneath or stuffing down the leg are unthinkable if you have oversized balls in addition to a long flaccid penis.  At least I think so.  This would be even more so than normal on a bike.

It is the trade-off between comfort and discretion ... I suppose comfort wins out for me every time.  My normal practice to is consult my wife, who will be quick to tell me in no uncertain terms if I am "showing" too much.  

Longhornjok: [quote author=Monstro link=board=clothing;num=1061184248;start=0#6 date=09/14/03 at 14:50:51]I also wish they made shorts with a cushioned seat.  I've got such a bony ass!  :D[/quote]
Monstro, I am pretty sure they DO make those.

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=Monstro link=board=clothing;num=1061184248;start=0#6 date=09/14/03 at 14:50:51]p.s.  I also wish they made shorts with a cushioned seat.  I've got such a bony ass!  :D[/quote]

I've never seen a pair of bike shorts that didn't have a cushioned seat. Where are you shopping?

awellhungboi: I'm not shopping anywhere yet, Ericbear. After buying my bike I haven't had the money to buy supplies. So I haven't even started looking. I've never even looked at a pair of bike shorts, much less worn any. Last Friday was the first time I was on a bike since 1989! And after a few comical interludes (running into trees, garbage bins, elderly Russian women), I love it! I'm glad to hear that there are cushioned seats, though. What about tights, like they make for riding in cold weather? Anyone have any suggestions about those? Do they have cushioned seats?

Longhornjok: Monstro (and spork), this is a great site for all kinds of sporting gear/apparel. They have sales all the time, too!

www.fogdog.com

awellhungboi: Thanks for the link, LHJ! I'm going to go buy some bike shorts today!

awellhungboi: Well, I bought some bike clothes yesterday. They're really comfortable to ride in.

But, um, they don't leave much to the imagination

http://prod.bsis.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/126/126320/folders/94100/692586bike1.jpg

What do you guys do? Do you wear shorts over the bike shorts? Or a long shirt? Or do you just go for the gusto? On the bike it's fine, nobody can see--but I'm not going into the grocery store like this. They'll think I'm shoplifting bratwurst.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
[quote author=Monstro link=board=clothing;num=1061184248;start=0#14 date=09/21/03 at 21:11:42]--but I'm not going into the grocery store like this.  They'll think I'm shoplifting bratwurst.[/quote]

Or that you're armed!

Pecker

(Busier than a one-legged Riverdancer.)

SpeedoGuy: [quote author=Monstro link=board=clothing;num=1061184248;start=0#11 date=09/15/03 at 16:36:34]  What about tights, like they make for riding in cold weather?  Anyone have any suggestions about those?  Do they have cushioned seats?[/quote]

Monstro:

I use tights when cross country skiing, riding or running in winter. When riding I just wear my regular bicycle shorts with the crotch padding underneath the tights.

And yes, there are cushioned seats. There are nice ones that have gel in the saddle. Very comfortable.

SG

awellhungboi: Thanks, Speedo! I bought a pair of tights the other day. Starting to get colder here! The only problem that I have with them is that they're so comfortable I just want to wear them all the time. I got a couple of pairs of shorts too--it was silly of me not to know they were cushioned. If you have any other advice you'd like to share, please do--I'm a novice in this world.

And to address Spork's original post, Performance sells bike shorts that are 'ergonomically' cut for men. I bought a pair last weekend. They have them in black and grey. They're okay, but I still get all bunched up in them.

spork: Thanks for the tip, Monstro...I'll check Performance out next time I'm near one of their stores.

In the meantime, I've been wearing running shorts. If you find the kind which are split all the way to the top of the waistband, they don't chafe much while riding. Since they have the inner liner, you can pack the boys in any which way, and they're neither overly visible nor excessively compressed.

Still not perfect, but the best I've found so far.