Biden flunks history in comment on FDR

Discussion in 'Politics' started by faceking, Sep 24, 2008.

1. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Whoops. Happens to the best of them.

10 years off on the crash of '29.

And the TV comment, I can't explain.

Associated Press
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008

WASHINGTON — Vice presidential candidate Joe Biden says today’s leaders should take a lesson from the history books and follow fellow Democrat Franklin D. Roosevelt’s response to a financial crisis.

“When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn’t just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, ‘Look, here’s what happened,’” Barack Obama’s running mate recently told the “CBS Evening News.”Except, Republican Herbert Hoover was in office when the stock market crashed in October 1929. There also was no television at the time; TV wasn’t introduced to the public until a decade later, at the 1939 World’s Fair.

FDR was elected three years later when voters denied Hoover a second term. The Democratic challenger appealed to the “forgotten man” by promising a “new deal” to solve the Depression era.

2. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Still better than claiming you can see Russia from their house.
    Next topic please...

3. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Oh, yeah. That's a real deal-breaker. *sigh*

4. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Now, I think I got it. Its important that Palin becomes an expert on the Dinosaur Age. Somehow it relates to Politics.

.....but Biden isn't sure what decade the Great Depression occurred; and that's just shrugged off. No problem, Joey Boy!! [pat on back] It really wasn't that important of an event. Many people that are still living (not dinosaurs or cavemen) lived through the Great Depression - and it shaped the way they view the world today.

5. joejack

joejack Active Member

Albums:
    If this is indeed a real quote, what Biden was trying to say was that FDR got on the radio (not the TV) and explained the economic reasons for the stock market crash of 1929 and the Great Depression to the American people. This of course would have occured sometime after FDR became president in March 1933. The famous fireside chats were what Senator Biden was attempting to refer to. So other than blundering in substituting the word television for radio, his statement makes perfect sense to anyone familiar with the history of the Great Depression. At least he didn't imply that he might get belligerent with Spain, as McCain did, when he conflated Spanish Prime Minister Zapatero with Subcommandante Marcos of the Mexican Zapatistas. And has McCain ever gotten straight Sunni and Shia? I think McCain has a hearing problem. He'll require Cindy to prompt him as Nancy did Ronnie Reagan. That's what America needs in these trying times: A nutty old hard of hearing guy scarred by his POW experience.

6. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Confusing who was running the country during the Great Depression is a much smaller issue than having someone who wants to discredit centuries of proven research to try and force people to follow any kind of Biblical guideline. Palin thinks the world is 6,000 years old. Which means she doesn't even acknowledge the existence of a Dinosaur, even if she walked into a Museum of Natural History and saw a skeleton of one.

Sorry, I'd rather have someone who's off by one decade than 600,000 of them. That's if you REALLY want to make either one of these lame duck issues something to worry about.

7. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ladies and Gentleman, I give you... the truth!!!!!

8. Notaguru2

Gold Member

LOL. Thats all I can say. Did you notice that McCain is quickly slipping into no-man's land in the polls? =)

9. lucky8

Gold Member

So I guess that makes him and Palin even then, with her excellent knowledge of geography and all

10. mindseye

Gold Member

So was FDR. FDR was Governor of New York in 1929; so it's at least plausible that Biden was correct in that regard. Especially given that the stock market is in New York, I'm willing to give Biden the benefit of the doubt on that statement.

Television also existed in 1929 as a technology, but it wasn't available to the public yet: the FCC hadn't licensed any broadcasters yet, nor had any applied.

So in that regard, yup, Biden blew it.

11. inman69

inman69 Member

Albums:
    And???

12. sargon20

Gold Member

13. ripsrips

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

Really, You know what he was trying to say?

Ok. I'll make this easy for you. What will Clinton say 8 days from today at 3:31 pm. Bill not Hillary.

14. joejack

joejack Active Member

Albums:
    Didn't you ever substitute one word when you meant another? And please do not confuse deduction with prediction when you try to pose a smart ass question. As I said, if you were familiar with the history of the Great Depression, you would know what he was talking about. And Biden didn't say the stockmarket crashed in 1939. That date resulted from the original poster's assumption that Biden knew when TV started. Hitler was actually the first TV personality when the Germans transmitted live TV into theaters across the Reich sometime before 1939. Look it up.

#14 joejack, Sep 26, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  15. lorne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    oh well we cant always get things right, just because McCain was alive at the time to verify that televisions didn't exist means he's any better at making choices.

Draft saved Draft deleted