Big-bellied guy looking for help!

johnboy29

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Firstly, apologies that this a bit off-topic!

I'm 43, have a job which involves a lot of sitting around (office work) but do try to exercise regularly. I walk two miles each day and my overall body shape is good with the exception of my waistline.

My hips measure 38 inches, yet the measurement round my navel is 48 inches. Not only is it embarrassing (my belly looks like a big ball) but it is difficult to find clothes that fit properly, especially for business purposes.

For casual wear, I can manage to squeeze into 36 inch jeans, but the belly-overhang is significant. The fat seems hard, rather than soft, which I have been advised is potentially dangerous - heart problems, diabetes etc. I know this isn't a good situation, but believe me I have tried everything! Maybe some guys just can't lose a gut once they have gained it?

Basically I was wondering if there was anyone else on the board with the same problem. If so, maybe you could hit the reply button.

Thanks guys.

John

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I agree with Pieter, I feel I would not be comfortable giving diet and exercise advice with out knowing your overall health and fitness level. I think it's best discussed with your Doctor. Good Luck to you. Take it steady and slowly and you have the best chances for success.

johnboy29

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Thanks guys, your responses and thoughts are much appreciated. Yes, it's been checked out, nothing sinister. I have been advised medically that the fat which I am carrying is the worst kind (apparently it's better if it's soft). Not the best news as you can imagine.

Have struggled with this problem since my late 20s, but it's only over the last couple of years that my gut has grown to such a size. I like a few beers from time to time but don't drink excessively. Possibly a genetic problem, who knows, but I really need to tackle it sooner than later.

If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.

Cheers

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Time for a change. I would see a dr and being checked out for basic health. Then I would get a referal to a nutrionist...which most health insurance covers. You might be surprised that with some minor tweaks to your diet and some basic cardio...you could be rocking in a short time. Make a change. save your heart, feel sexy again.

johnboy29

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Cube/Mark, thanks for your helpful comments and the link. Previous attempts to lose the belly have involved crash dieting with little success. Balanced nutrition combined with weight training might just be the answer.

I've avoided the gym over these past few years due to self-consciousness. My body isn't really in proportion and people tend to stare. However this information has given me renewed optimism and resolve and I think I could perhaps start by going along at quieter times and investing in the services of a personal trainer/nutritionist for a few months.

Friends and family have urged me to take action for some years now and I've always agreed with them, admittedly just to keep the peace. However, I do realise that something needs to be done, before matters become even more difficult to control. There's often a greater chance of heeding advice when it is given anonymously, hence it's been a cathartic experience for me just to share the issue on this board.

Thanks again to all who have replied. Hopefully this will now be the turning point.

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm glad you found the link useful. I actually did type quite a lot before deciding I was coming across too prescriptive.

Self-conscious in the gym? Lol, how do you think everyone felt when they started? Even the fabulous-looking people are still going either because they're not satisfied with their body or need to maintain their physique. The gym is not a mutual admiration club, you know. It's a place people go to get fit.

If you're going to start weight-training, which I do recomend, it's essential you get professional tuition to start with. Once you know how to perform the exercises safely and efficiently, it's up to you whether you use the personal trainer for motivation. I just see mine every few months to check my progress and for suggestions on new routines.

Crash-dieting is an absolute no-no. Why do you think there are so many adverts for slimming clubs and miracle diets? It's because they generate thousands of repeat customers! Customers who blame themselves for their failure and wreck their relationship with food. Dieting can only possibly work if you're prepared to spend the rest of you life hungry.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't eat sensibly and healthily though.

Last edited:

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hey Johnboy. Good luck with your self-improvement program. It's a simple equation: input has to equal output. If we're overweight, we need to eat less, exercise more, or both. It looks easy on paper, yet hard to manifest in the real world. I've always had a hearty appetite. I'm a decent cook and mostly everything that I eat is homemade healthy vegetarian gourmet. I never had weight control issues until I had a knee injury and had to stop running. My weight started to increase in the late '90s and by 2005, I was obese. Fortunately, I discovered cycling as a low impact substitute for running, bought a road bike, and all is well. Nonetheless, I have to force myself to be moderate with how much I eat. I had to get away from buying take out meals and cook more at home. Along with what the others have said above, give some thought to restricting or eliminating refined carbohydrates. You'll be amazed at how your body chemistry will respond and how much weight you'll lose if you eliminate all forms of sugar, white flour, white rice, white pasta, potato, and alcoholic beverages. I dropped 65 pounds in 7 months 4 years ago and have kept it off by making some behavioral changes. It works if we stick to it.

Golfbuddy

Expert Member
Media
I was in that condition 10 years ago. THen I discovered Gillian McKeith, first on BBC TV, then her website and books. Has totally changed my life and looks. The weight dropped, I felt better than ever, mind is alert. I've taken up a lot of activities I thought I'd never do again. Get Slim For Life, read it, and do it. The lady knows what she's talking about. The only thing you'll find squeamish is her insistance on having colonics.

D_William Howard Shaft

Account Disabled
Media
One thing that I did which changed my life was enroll into weight watchers. I used to be 225 (at 5'10"), and with the help of Weight Watchers, I got down to 173. The thing with Weight Watchers is that its not a fad diet. Essentially their goal is re-teach you the basics on eating healthy and making healthy choices in your life. Both my wife and I did uite well on the program and as a result we are much more active and focus on eating foods that are better for you and more satisfying.

Some simple changes you can do today which will help in the long term:

- Drink a full glass of water BEFORE you have a meal... or Start your meal with a bowl of broth type soup (like vegetable soup). the idea behind this is to fill you up so that you will be full sooner and not over eat.

-When you reach a point of fullness (no matter what is left on your plate) STOP EATING. I know this is easier said then done, but you will save a ton of calories and will feel better in the long run (no bloatedness)

-use smaller plates when serving yourself. This is a simple trick to trick the mind that you are eating more than you really are.

-Read the labels on all foods you buy. Knowing what you are consuming is key to weight loss. try to ensure the foods you eat are low in fat and higher in fiber. Fiber will will you up faster (and make you more regular too)

-subsitute all white breads, pastas and rice with whole grain / whole wheat varieties.

-listen to music when you walk and keep your pace up to the beat. The key is to get your heart rate going to burn more calories.

-Drink lots of water during the day if you can. If you don't care for it, add flavour like Crystal light.

- Try to work an eating plan so that you have a filling breakfast, a mid morniing snack, a light but filling lunch, a mid afternoon snack and a light dinner. Snacks should be healthy options like chopped veggies, or a serving or nuts etc...

If I can think of more suggestions I will post later.

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media

I'm 43, have a job which involves a lot of sitting around (office work) but do try to exercise regularly. I walk two miles each day and my overall body shape is good with the exception of my waistline.

My hips measure 38 inches, yet the measurement round my navel is 48 inches. Not only is it embarrassing (my belly looks like a big ball) but it is difficult to find clothes that fit properly, especially for business purposes.

For casual wear, I can manage to squeeze into 36 inch jeans, but the belly-overhang is significant. The fat seems hard, rather than soft, which I have been advised is potentially dangerous - heart problems, diabetes etc. I know this isn't a good situation, but believe me I have tried everything! Maybe some guys just can't lose a gut once they have gained it?

Basically I was wondering if there was anyone else on the board with the same problem. If so, maybe you could hit the reply button.

Thanks guys.

John

you can fix this problem
it takes work and some dedication but it can be done
have you considered lifting weights, doing more cardio, or a diet change
any one might help but all 3 together would definatly do the trick if you give it time

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

Thanks guys.

John

+1 with what many have said here.

When changing your diet, do it slowly and over time. Eat until you no longer feel empty, not until you feel full. In the beginning try to leave something on your plate and then after some time start only cooking that much and leaving something on that plate.

More small meals during the day. They say that 5 or 6 small meals is healthier than 2 or 3 big ones. Better for blood sugar and the like and your stomach doesn't expand as much. If you can afford a nutritionist then do it, otherwise search online for healthy diets, not fad, you will lose 20 pounds in 6 weeks.

Avoid sodas, drink water. You can have a beer or two, but take the skin off of the chicken.

If you are embarrassed about working out at a gym, buy home equipment. A set of dumbells a bench or an exercise ball can give you all you need to start. If you have room buy a treadmill or an eliptical bike. You need the cardio.

It took me 5 years to gain 30 pounds and 18 months to get rid of it. Take your time and don't get discouraged when you plateau, which you will. Then you will hit another good cycle and lose more.

Lastly, before you get intense, go to your doctor and get checked out, maybe even a stress test to make sure.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have to tell you when I went to a gym the first time I think I drove by it like 5 times to see when the fewest people would be there. Turns out it was not such a big deal after the first couple visits. I started on a bike just to get use to going to the gym and observe others on the machine. Then I got a weight trainer for a few sessions to understand the machines. You can do it. I appplaud you for taking the step. Keep us posted on your progress

johnboy29

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Guys, thanks for sharing from your own experiences and giving me the benefit of your advice. Much appreciated. It's now down to me to act.

Just by way of background information, I'm 5"11 and 230 pounds. In a sense I'm fortunate that almost all of my extra body weight is being carried in one place, otherwise I'd possibly be much heavier and face a harder uphill struggle to sort myself out.

I'll take all of your comments on board - there's a lot to think about and hopefully by this time next year, I'll no longer look like the guy who drank all the beers! For starters it would be a result simply to be able to buy a suit for work which didn't need to surgically altered!

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Guys, thanks for sharing from your own experiences and giving me the benefit of your advice. Much appreciated. It's now down to me to act.

Just by way of background information, I'm 5"11 and 230 pounds. In a sense I'm fortunate that almost all of my extra body weight is being carried in one place, otherwise I'd possibly be much heavier and face a harder uphill struggle to sort myself out.

I'll take all of your comments on board - there's a lot to think about and hopefully by this time next year, I'll no longer look like the guy who drank all the beers! For starters it would be a result simply to be able to buy a suit for work which didn't need to surgically altered!

LOL keep at it and feel free to send pms with questions. I have links to a few sites that show exercises.

Also, it doesn't matter where the weight is it is more than you should have, the only good thing is that the improvement will be more visible.

In a perfect world you would be around 170 to 180 and in shape, but start realistic and shoot for 200.

koval

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Although I cannot give advice on diets (I'm 6ft, 230lbs myself but don't look it) I would recommend taking up swimming if possible. It's a low impact excercise that uses all the muscles in your body and helps to tone you up.

johnboy29

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Hi guys,

Given that four months have passed I thought I would post a quick update.

I have managed to reduce my weight to 226 pounds (a loss of 4), which I am very happy with. That may seem a tiny amount to you, but even seeing the figure of 226 rather than 230 means so much!!

My belly is proving difficult to shift though. I am still measuring 49 inches round the middle, compared with a hips measurement of 37.5. A slight problem which I haven't mentioned before (guess I've been in denial about it) is that there is a genetic predisposition to ball-bellies in my mother's side of the family. Maybe I'm expecting the impossible to happen, but I'm remaining positive and hopefully my next update will bring better news.

Thanks again for all your advice.

John

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
John,
I'm glad to hear that things are going well. Slow and steady wins this race, If you take it off slowly and keep it off your chances are much better of reaching your goal. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Good luck, well done and keep at it. The more slowly you lose the weight the more likely it will stay off.

I lost 50lbs over an 18 month period and I have remained at my target weight of 170lbs for over a year now.