BIG BLACKOUT OF 2003

jackinman: How is everybody doing. To all you members in the Northeast and in Canada who were in the dark all night, I hope everything is ok now. It was one long hot night.
I'm New York City and I just got my power back on. Let us know how you made out.

7x6andchg: I saw a car today on I-94 on my way home with Ohio license plates (Cuyahoga County) - and I was thinking - what are they rushing home for? They have no electricity!

Hope everyone of our members in the affected area are doing OK...first thing to do when you get back online is post and let us know how it was...

7x6&C

sammygirly: I was out for more than 24 hours and let me tell you - if you've never been in a major city that suddenly has no power, I wouldn't suggest it.

People are crazy.

I am alive so far, and while I have power now the word is that we will be having rotating blackouts for the next few days - so while I have power now, I may not in an hour.

Craziness people. Seriously.

~goes for more candles, watching the sky and mumbling~

7x6andchg: And I thought you Canadians were supposed to always be so civil to each other, Sammygirly! :D

I hestitate to imagine what it would be like without it for that long - especially in this heat (it's 95 here today)....yikes.

Glad to hear you're OK...

Paul
7x6&C

sammygirly: I dont think civility carries into driving techniques. I swear I thought I was going to die on the road. No traffic lights....oy!

Four way stops people! Four way stops!

And it was very hot here today as well, 31 C, 40 with the humidex

7x6andchg: Ah yes - the Humidex - I know it well.
As an aside, I've always loved the name "Environment Canada" - it gives the impression they have some control over it rather than report it. Not that National Weather Service is much better.

95 is...my Celsius conversion is getting rusty here...34? Heat Index is 101...or 37C. It's just marvelous...NOT.

It makes you wonder how we ever got along without all of it, doesn't it? The stop lights, the street lights, the computers......

Paul

jackinman: [quote author=7by6etC link=board=99;num=1060983430;start=0#3 date=08/15/03 at 15:30:38]And I thought you Canadians were supposed to always be so civil to each other, Sammygirly! :D

Paul
7x6&C[/quote]
How your doing sammygirly, glad to hear your power is back on. But tell me something, what part of Canada you do live in? I was really shocked to hear that there was looting going on in Ottawa of all places. I've been there and that is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen and the people are very very nice. Whats up with that. I really thought NYC was going to be the problem. I hope the power doesn't go out again.

Hey Paul, just hope you never have to go through this mess buddy. It's no fun at all, especially in the heat.
It sucks!!!!!!

7x6andchg: Well I live in a small town in Wisconsin...here's what probably would happen:

power goes out

Everyone comes out into the street with the beer from their fridge (it was gonna get warm anyway, c'mon) and someone brings out a radio that runs on batteries.

It's one of the joys of small town living - we actually have block parties and know our neighbors.

Now if I was at work in Minneapolis - that's another matter entirely! :D

I loved Ottawa, too, and Toronto...actually I only drove THRU Ottawa...spent a week in Tronna. Beauuuutiful place.

7x6&C

jackinman: [quote author=7by6etC link=board=99;num=1060983430;start=0#7 date=08/15/03 at 15:51:44]Well I live in a small town in Wisconsin...here's what probably would happen:

power goes out

Everyone comes out into the street with the beer from their fridge (it was gonna get warm anyway, c'mon) and someone brings out a radio that runs on batteries.

7x6&C[/quote]
Sounds good Paul, but we in NYC do that everyday with the power on. It's that we're not used to walking and driving in pitch blackness. Plus when the beer runs out then what, you have to try and find a store that's open with some cold beer. :D

sammygirly: I'm in Oshawa, major city about an hour outside Toronto.

Oh and don't be fooled Paul...we DID drink all the beers in the fridge and all the ice cream...it WAS gonna melt anyway...

7x6andchg: Cooo looo cooo coo cooo loo coo coo!

Welcome to da Great White North, eh?

Sorry - I was having Mackenzie Brothers Flashbacks. :D

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
This past winter, I remember vividly the heralded Ice Storm of Lexington 2003. Flash frosting and severe conditions leveled trees, knocked out power lines and grids, and residents went without power and utilities in some areas for a week. I was working at the time and remember how many would straggle in for a cup of chili or something else warm to consume.

Some subdivisions in the area were hit harder than others. I was one of the lucky ones. I think I went without power for only a few hours at the worst. The heat still worked. I had to do without cable and broadband Internet access for a few days.

Yeah, when I read Toronto was among the major cities without power -- Sammy, I got worried for you, dear. Sounds like you're pulling through. Just keep your strength and stay cool; drink plenty of water; if anything, I'm assuming you have some time off from work, enjoy the holidays! Ha ha. I heard about New York's unofficial 'snow days.'

H8Monga: I had a blackout of my own... damn cable had a stroke and lost half of my stations and the internet... so that's why I haven't been around since Wednesday (not that you really noticed)... I really wanted to follow coverage online and read articles but CNN and Fox filled that (at least I could get those channels).

I was shocked to find out about it (after 11PM EDT). When I'm at work (2-10:30) aliens could attack us and I not know it. We know nothing when we're in that dungeon. So I got home and saw what looked like a special on and I asked my grandmother what happened and she told me. I was amazed by the expanse of it and (this may show how much life I have or whatever) I wondered how my online friends who I knew were in the blackout areas were. Then I started to think about how awful it would have been to be stuck in elevators or the subway in NYC. People have some stories to tell.

The coverage I saw talked mainly about New York... forget everyone else! Well I hope it's all solved and (have they found out exactly what caused it yet?) everyone's back up and running soon. Glad you guys are ok... as hot as it is here... I'd be dead. Sammy I thought you had glaciers up there! :p

Today at work we said too bad it wasn't us here in Va because we'd get to go home early! Then again with traffic... but we're not a major city so.. backroads would work!

But you know... I bet there'll be a little baby boom.

Glad to have you back online and cool and everything jackin & sammy :)

7x6andchg: Hapi-

We did notice. You've calmed down since the early days so it wasn't a NeNe type emergency...but....I was like "where's Hapi?"

7x6&C

awellhungboi: Yeah, I noticed too, Hapi. But I thought you were just busy with your gubernatorial campaign. :)

H8Monga: Oh yeah!  I was busy doing that too!  Arnold, Gary, Larry, Bimbo, Betty Boop, Scooby... they're all going down!

Hmmm 888th... anyone want a good lottery number?

Trackers: Even though I live no where near Canada or America, I was just wondering if anyone found out the cause of those blackouts yet. Having no power for days would be really scary.

7x6andchg: The latest I've read is that it was something in NE Ohio near Lake Erie - but I'm betting it'll be weeks before something definite comes out.

Wouldn't you hate to be the person, somewhere, who just happened to turn on a light or tripped over an extension cord at the exact moment it happened?

sammygirly: Everyone is being very very careful not to take responsibility for this huge mishap - so the cause varies depending on which press conference you listen to. The only thing that seems to remain the same in all of them is that lightening of some sort hit a generator on the state side of the falls. After that, who's fault it was that it wasn't isolated and how come it wasn't fixed faster becomes debated.

Aww Dee, sweet that you were concerned and everyone else as well.

I did lose my power once more last night, but I was sleeping thankfully and have no idea how long it was out. Hopefully, I won't be part of a blackout again today....

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I doubt that we'll be given a plausible reason for the blackout.

These days they're worried that if they're too graphic in their explanations, some terrorist will be taking notes.

There will be investigatory committees formed, fingers pointed, excuses made, but in the end we'll learn very little about the cause.

Pecker
(I Broke Her Heart at Walgreens and She Cried All the Way to Sears [apologies to Ruby Wright])