Big Brother, again

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by DC_DEEP, Jun 10, 2005.

1. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

State vs Parents issue

Interesting article. Who ultimately has jurisdiction here? Parents? State? As I say in so many cases, if the state wants the authority, they must also take the responsibilities. Meaning, if they have the authority to make medical decisions for someone's minor child, they also have the responsibility of paying for the child, birth to majority age, inclusive. Also, the parents cannot be held accountable for the child, that is the responsibility of the state. As I see it, you can't have it both ways.

2. madame_zora

Gold Member

Geez, how horrible for that poor little girl. All she wants is some good time before she dies and look what our wonderful government is giving her for a going away present. A broken home, news involvement of her personal life, separation for the ones she loves. What a sick bunch of FUCKS those bastards are! Her mother obviously loves her a great deal and is trying to understand both what is medically preferable and what her daughter actually wants. I think it's disgraceful that a person old enough to think has no say in her own life!

3. KinkGuy

Gold Member

YET, while good ol' dubya was the ruler of Texas, he enacted a law that gives hospitals the right to "pull the plug" on patients if they can't pay the bill. It all just depends on the political cache that can be gained, who contributed to your campaign and which side of the money flow you are on.

4. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

As also evidenced in the reactions of jeb & dub in the recent debacle in Florida over medical decisions.

5. jonb

Gold Member

What's bad is, in Texas, if they can't afford it, you legally have to euthanize them. Three guesses who signed it into law?

6. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Exactly what I was saying.

7. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

What lawyers are for:

8. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Absolutely unbelievable that the courts would pull a boneheaded stunt like, in particular if the child appears to already be suffering. while as of yet at at 13 yrs old she can't make those decisions, it still falls upon the parents to decide whether or not she should recieve treatment. But if the cancer is indeed in remission there is no point to this. I zipped thru the article, did her doctor have anything aobut all this?

Draft saved Draft deleted